Author Topic: Blackstone ignitor question -- clicky but no sparky!  (Read 678 times)

Offline Gags

Blackstone ignitor question -- clicky but no sparky!
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:54:47 PM »
Hi All,

I tried firing up the BS tonight for a test light.
My ignitor seemed to be faulty because no matter which way I put in a number of AA batteries, nothing happened.
I consulted this board and a user confirmed positive side out / towards front of unit.
Then I noticed that the battery only made good contact and resulted in clicking if the knob seemed a bit "springy" when tried to screw it in.  I assume that means the spring wasn't making contact in the other instances.

So now finally have a clicking sound.  However, even in the dark this evening, I didn't see a spark.
I know I have gas flow because I lit up the BS manually.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ryan
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 06:53:03 PM by Gags »
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Blackstone ignitor question -- clicky but no sparky!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 08:41:08 AM »
You might search on Blackstone ignitor or grill ignitor problem (google).

The only time I've had a problem with this or read of one here on the forum was when the nut behind the thumb button was not completely threaded down.  When fewer threads are free and exposed, the cap doesn't go on all the way.

Dave

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 02:12:14 PM »
Post finding please mine does not work either appears to do nothing? though a seperate part had to be added to work or did I toss it by accindent ? It  does click Batteries ? no spark anywhere ?  pics please
thanks
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Surffisher2A

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 03:31:14 PM »
Make sure you have the batteries inserted correctly.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 04:41:21 PM »
Post finding please.  Mine does not work either.  It appears to do nothing?  Thought a seperate part had to be added to work or did I toss it by accindent ? It  does click.  Batteries ? no spark anywhere ?  pics please
thanks
John
John, I added a few punctuation marks to your quote above to help my understanding and hopefully assist in a solution.  You only need one  AA battery in the ignitor with the button end (+) toward the push starter.  If you are hearing a click, then the ignitor is working - it just isn't igniting the gas.  In that case, there could either be no gas, or the metal probe could be away from the burner so the spark isn't near the gas, or possibly the spark is weak due to a weak battery.  I've had the same battery since I received the unit (early days) and have used it fairly regularly.  In my experience, the ignitor, once properly set up is quite reliable.
Dave

Offline Gags

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 06:52:24 PM »
John, I added a few punctuation marks to your quote above to help my understanding and hopefully assist in a solution.  You only need one  AA battery in the ignitor with the button end (+) toward the push starter.  If you are hearing a click, then the ignitor is working - it just isn't igniting the gas.  In that case, there could either be no gas, or the metal probe could be away from the burner so the spark isn't near the gas, or possibly the spark is weak due to a weak battery.  I've had the same battery since I received the unit (early days) and have used it fairly regularly.  In my experience, the ignitor, once properly set up is quite reliable.
Dave

Thanks for the feedback, Dave.  I was also thinking a weak battery could be the culprit.
I picked up new ones today and will give that a go.

If that doesn't work, I'm just going to use a BBQ lighter.
I had seen posts online regarding BS's griddle and one said the ignitor was useless.
I could see it being a point of weakness in the design.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 06:54:27 PM by Gags »
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline Surffisher2A

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 09:14:23 AM »
Once I figured out what size battery I needed in mine, it works like a champ.  If you can, take a picture of the top of the burner that shows the ignition wire/rod. We can make sure it at least looks correct.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »
I had seen posts online regarding BS's griddle and one said the ignitor was useless.
I could see it being a point of weakness in the design.
I don't know anything about the BS griddle, but I've worked with a handful of these pizza ovens (for friends) and once you get that ignitor set correctly it fires up first time, every time, in every unit I've touched.
Dave
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 09:16:44 AM by Tampa »

Offline Just BS

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 04:09:40 PM »
Same problem here.... a No clicky. The spring inside my igniter is so big that it goes around the AA battery.  I was thinking that maybe it needed a C battery.  I guess I'll go see if I can tweak the spring a bit.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 10:07:12 AM »
Same problem here.... a No clicky. The spring inside my igniter is so big that it goes around the AA battery.  I was thinking that maybe it needed a C battery.  I guess I'll go see if I can tweak the spring a bit.
The spring is supposed to go over the + side of the AA battery.  AKA: The nipple end (+) of the battery sticks out from the Blackstone stainless front cover and into the twist on spring cap.
Dave
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:48:37 AM by Tampa »

Offline Just BS

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 10:39:35 AM »
Thanks Dave, I figured it out....