Author Topic: Wood base for WFO  (Read 583 times)

Offline scarbo

• I Love Pizza!
Wood base for WFO
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:03:51 AM »
I am planning an outdoor installation of a modular WFO which will weigh less than 1,000 lb.  The oven will be next to an elevated deck, and the base will sit about 10 feet off the ground. I'd like to avoid the traditional method of pouring a concrete base, building up with concrete block, then pouring another concrete base for the oven.  The site is remote, and everything would have to be hauled in and mixed by hand. It would be far easier to build a base from framing lumber, say 6" x 6" posts 0n concrete bases, and 4" x 8" beams under the oven.  Assuming it was engineered properly, it would hold many times the weight of the oven.

I'd love to hear from anyone who may have done this. The main question is how to finish the top of the tower. What should the modular oven rest on? Assuming I build a solid deck of 2" x lumber on top of the beams, could I just put down 2" or 3" of insulating board on my wood top, and assemble the oven directly on it? Is there any fire hazard? Is there any issue with loss of heat out the bottom of the oven?

Online shuboyje

Re: Wood base for WFO
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 10:14:02 AM »
Since nobody has responded yet I'll put in my 2 cents.  As a general rule wood is not used to support masonry.  Now that that has been said, it has been done by a few people I've seen.  The main concerns would be building a structure that isn't going to move, and going over board on the under oven insulation to make sure no heat makes it to the wood.  If you can make it that far the last thing is to realize the oven will outlast the structure supporting it.
-Jeff

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
Wood will  work, but if reducing weight is why you are using it, steel will almost certainly be lighter.

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 08:31:34 PM »
I built a wood base that has worked well for me. Heat has not been a problem. I finished the top with pavers and then a perlcrete pad. Here is a link to my build.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=18944.msg194571#msg194571
Michael