Author Topic: Grandioso Professional Butter pizza spray  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Grandioso Professional Butter pizza spray
« on: March 26, 2006, 05:33:49 PM »
79526 Grandioso Buttery Pizza Spray 6/21.5 oz.
Product label reads:

Grandioso Butter Flavored Pizza Spray
Grandioso's appealing essence of rich butter flavor seasoning, adds customer pleasing value to all your pizza's.

Directions states (4) For best results heat pan before adding food. Avoid excessive heat and do not refrigerate can.

Has anyone used this product? Especially for the dep-dish styles?
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
Re: Grandioso Professional Butter pizza spray
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 10:49:39 AM »
Never used that product before,but from what I can tell it looks like butter enhanced Pam non stick spray.
Aaron

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 11:31:01 AM »
Thanks for the reply Aaron

The on-line description made it sound like a pan release agent, spray-on glaze and a flavored topping intended for pizza and breadsticks, so it got my interest.

I gave it a bit of a try last night and was a bit dissappointed.  :(

PAM for Baking has more butter flavor than this spray had. It barely had any butter flavor at all and it also had a chemical taste that was a major turn-off for me.

Oh well...one more item to scratch off my list of pizza making supplies.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 01:05:28 PM »
I would stay away from things like this. For a buttery flavor the only thing I would try would be butter or clarified butter (too keep it from burning)

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 01:45:27 PM »
Thanks Jeff

I just thought I'd give it a try since it was intended for the professional pizza maker. I doubt I'll ever use an aerosol again professional or otherwise.

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 08:59:07 PM »
So for a "buttery" flavor in a crust, how would you approach that in your recipe...especially if using a stone instead of a pan?
I am using Randy's recipe and its great, but I am guessing a little butter would really put the crust over the top.  It seems places like Little Caesars use butter in some fashion, although maybe they just brush it on after it cooks.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 10:08:50 PM »
ihavezippers,

There are several ways of getting a buttery flavor with Randy's American style recipe. You can replace all or part of the oil in the dough with either butter, margarine, butter-flavored Crisco, or a butter-flavored oil. Crisco can be substituted on a weight-for-weight basis with the oil, but since butter and margarine include 20% water (which the Crisco doesn't), you may want to tweak (lower) the amount of water you use to compensate for the water in the butter or margarine.

You can also brush melted butter or margarine, with garlic if you prefer, on the rim of the finished crust. 

If you decide to substitute butter or margarine for the oil in Randy's recipe, I'd be interested in getting your opinion on the change. 

Peter

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 11:34:25 PM »
Peter: you haven't substituted butter b/f with the oil?  Is that a fair guess?
I'll try it, with Illini's other latest modifications in his Little Caesar's dough recipe this weekend.  I'm really interested to see how using corn syrup instead of honey will effect the taste.  If honey and corn syrup are truly interchangeable, it seems like most commercial places such as Little Casears and others wouldn't use honey, as it is a bit of a pain to deal with and I would think more expensive than corn syrup.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 12:23:44 AM »
ihavezippers,

You are correct. I have not substituted butter or margarine for the oil in Randy's recipe.

Peter

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 08:55:20 PM »
Petezzza, I don't know if you caught my post in the American section under the Little Caesar's recipe, but your butter substitution was successfull.  Between the butter substitution, and two brushed coats of a butter/garlic powder/parmesian mix, I got the taste I was trying to reproduce almost exactly. 

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion; I wouldn't have thought of it.  I've added that crust recipe to my permanent file.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 09:00:24 PM »
ihavezippers,

From your earlier post I assumed that you already had in mind to use butter or something like it in the dough rather than on the crust. I just told you how you might do it. I'm glad in any event that the approach worked :).

Peter

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 12:58:21 AM »
While were talking about it.

I thought I'd mention that "to my knowledge" in the US, Land0Lakes butter has the highest butterfat to liquid ratio, other than Plugra (imported) found at Trader Joe's.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 08:26:56 AM »
I was watching Alton Brown the other day on Food TV, and he had an into to his show where he was
in a grocery store, and was walking about talking about the amazing array of "sprays" that are available today,
I thought he was going to give them a big "thumbs down" , but he actually have them a huge thumbs up !

Surprise surprise, he liked many things about the sprays, and commented that there are so many good quality oils now in these spray cans, and many of the good quality ones use REAL oils you would find in the bottle, rather than "fake" additives that make you think it's "butter" or whatever it is....

It was pretty interesting.

I have never used butter in a pan, as this would burn very quickly, but who knows, perhaps these butter
ones from different companies also have a mix of something so that they don't burn as quickly.

I just don't remember the exact stuff Alton Brown said though, as he went through so many of them, but
he really did like them. 

I'll tell you what I DO do though, whenever I make one of my "deep dish" pizzas, I will use my own spritzer that I bought some time ago and fill it with extra virgin olive oil , and that I will spray into the bottom of my deep dish pan before I put in my dough....  The only thing in spritzer can is extra virgin olive oil, and that's it. ( the oil is sprayed out by me pumping the top of it ).  I like it because I know exactly what is going in there, it's less expensive, and I just like using the thing on lots of stuff  ( like sliced baked potato and onion in foil when I do bbqs )

Mark
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

pizzapan