Author Topic: What type of oven would I need for fresh dough pizza catering  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
A goofy idea came into my head last night. Possibly catering small parties at the park or someones back yard.

I'm looking for suggestions on what type of pizza oven that I can use for catering fresh dough pizzas. I've seen four deck ovens on e-bay.  And I think they would work great for Lehman type dough pizzas. Problem would be the 208v power source. The conveyor type ovens looks easy to use, but I don't know the results of using fresh dough. Can you make cracker style pizzas on a conveyor?

I've heard about the LP type deck ovens. But I don't know much about them.

Can you suggest any type of ovens, or any previous posts that may address this question?
Thank you,
Tim
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 02:37:38 PM by Park.Pizza »
Throw me a slice, won't ya

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: What type of would I need for fresh dough pizza catering
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 01:41:16 PM »
A while back, a member of this forum described the wood-burning oven he had in his catering truck. I know absolutely nothing about the catering biz (other than my friends who do it are always talking about health inspectors, liability and insurance policies), but the idea of baking brick oven pies at the customer's house sure does have strong appeal and would differentiate you from the competition and allow you to charge more. Probably much easier said than done.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
Re: What type of oven would I need for fresh dough pizza catering
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 07:47:13 AM »
A wood burning oven would be cool. I once seen somthing like that on a trailer on ebay.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 10:35:09 AM »
Tim,

You might get some useful tips and insights by taking a look at this website on a mobile pizza vehicle: http://www.pizzapaul.net/. You will see that there are licenses involved and I suspect that there are also health department issues involved. Tom Lehmann and Big Dave Ostrander often suggest that folks interested in a mobile pizza unit call Paul Nyland, the fellow behind the mobile pizza concept discussed at the abovementioned website. I'm guessing that you are looking at something less elaborate than a fully-equipped mobile unit but I think you would learn a lot from speaking with Paul Nyland if you are serious about doing consulting gigs. You should at least learn the potential pitfalls that may help you from a decision making standpoint.

Peter

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 03:32:40 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for the information. This is what I was hoping for.

Tim :D

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 07:36:35 PM »
See
www. biggreentruckpizza.com
He's a member and has a great setup. Wood fired I believe.

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 09:36:46 AM »
O'wow...
That green truck is pretty cool. I could get into doing somthing like that.  Hmmm, looking for old trucks on ebay.

Thanks Apizza

Tim

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 10:05:26 AM »
The big green truck pizza is a pretty cool set up.  I have not seen one like that.  I do get asked from time to time at work about putting the wood fired ovens on trailers. A tandem style trailer would be best.  I guess you can use a stake bed truck instead on the nice 1946 International this guy uses.  I'm not to sure how a wood fired oven would last over time, some of those trucks have very stiff suspensions. 

In Europe I have seen them convert catering trucks into a similar setup as the big green truck pizza.  But the oven is inside and not very visible.  I will see what pictures I have of this.
-JP-

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 10:12:05 AM »
Well, I've found a truck. I wonder if these guy's would allow me to copy their truck design.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1946-Chevy-1-1-2-ton-NICE_W0QQitemZ4627807277QQcategoryZ5348QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyway, it would be neat to pull up and start cooking. 

Can you mount a Millineum Oven on a truck?

Tim :D