Author Topic: Yesterday Was My Debut As A Professional Pizza Maker - See Pics  (Read 1818 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Yesterday Was My Debut As A Professional Pizza Maker - See Pics
« on: February 16, 2014, 09:38:06 PM »
Before you get the impression that I work at a pizza place or own my own pizza place I want to clarify this.

At my last job the guys found out I make pizza. They were skeptical that I could make a good pizza. To them a good pizza is Papa Johns or Pizza Hut or even Dominos. Nothing against those places, they are decent but not what I would normally buy or like. I like NY Style and not those fast food places style. Only fast food place I like is Sbarro. Well I made some pizzas for the guys at work and they actually loved it. I worked there for a year as a contract worker and I brought pizza maybe 10 times. See, I worked odd hours. Either started in the afternoon, therefore before work I could make pizza, or I worked early morning and I got off work in the early afternoon and would go home and at times make pizza and bring back for the guys.

I will post pictures in the next post. I took pictures since this is my maiden voyage as a pizza maker in the professional sense.

One of my friends there loved it so much he asked me to make a couple of pizzas for him because he was going to a get-together at his friend's house. It was to be him, his girlfriend and a couple other friends. I think they had a backyard BBQ. He said he would pay me. This is where the professional part comes in.  Being paid makes one a professional. He asked me how much per pizza and I said nothing, I said he doesn't have to pay because I wouldn't charge a friend but he insist. Then I said okay just pay me what it cost to make. Honestly, I don't know how much each would cost to make. I would have to divide down everything but that's too much trouble so I said how about 4 bucks but he said no, he'll pay $10 each. So I said are you sure, I don't mind doing for free? He said no because it's for a party so they should pay so I agreed.

I made two pizzas, they were 16 inchers. I threw in a Calzone/Stromboli type of thing. From my research here at the PMF a Calzone and a Stromboli doesn't have any sauce in it and depending on if the sauce is poured on it or if it's dipped will determine if it's a Calzone or a Stromboli.  I really wanted to put sauce in it so I did that which makes it neither a Calzone or a Stromboli.  I stretched out by hand and rolled out to make it more even, an 8 ounce ball of dough to make a fairly small yet nicely sized Calzone/Stromboli type of thing.

This was yesterday. I did not call him or text or email him to find out how he and the rest liked it. I didn't want to provoke him to give me their opinion on it. I thought I would let him on his own accord give me his and their thoughts on it. If I prompted him to give me their opinions of it he might just sugar coat it and say it was good. Well today he text me on his own accord that he and the rest loved  the pizza.  They loved the Calzone/Stromboli thing too. It was a success. Now you can say I am a professional pizza maker or a pizzaiolo since my services and product were sought out and was paid to do so.

Do I plan on making working at a pizza place or owning my own pizza place? No. I don't think anyone would hire me to make pizzas since I don't have work experience in this area anyway but we all know I can make pizzas with the best of them. But one day if I can maybe work part time as a pizzaiolo I will. 

It was fun though and officially I am a professional!   

Offline PizzaEater101

Re: Yesterday Was My Debut As A Professional Pizza Maker - See Pics
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:40:06 PM »
Pics of the Calzone/Stromboli thing and the pizza before baking.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 09:43:42 PM »
My pizza oven. It's what I call the Little Red Corvette. It's an Aussie charcoal grill that I converted to gas with a propane burner and cut outs. I did the work myself. I'm not too handy but this is not hard to do. Have kiln shelving inside. Two 16 inch round. I am pretty good at placing a 16 inch pie on the stones.  I call it Little Red Corvette because most use a Weber and it's the LBE or Little Black Egg but seeing mine is "red" I call it the "Little Red Corvette" or "LRC" in reference to the Prince song that was popular when I was a sophomore in high school. From that you can gauge my age!

Calzone/Stromboli thing was baked in oven. 425 degrees and I think for about 20 minutes. I forgot exactly how long. But it looked fine and I took out. Proved to be great according to my friend.

Yes, pizza boxes. I had these already. How can you transport a whole pie without these things? People at work were surprised that I had these but if you wanna do something then do it right.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:47:29 PM by PizzaEater101 »

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:45:52 PM »
Finished Calzone/Stromboli like thing and pizza pie on cooling rack waiting to cool off a bit.  No egg wash on the Calzone/Stromboli. Just didn't want to do it, figured it would be fine as is.

Should have taken pictures of the underside of pizza. Darn, I forgot. It looked perfect on the bottom of the pizza.

Pizza in box.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:07:25 PM by PizzaEater101 »

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 09:51:57 PM »
A happy customer. He drove by to pick it up. I think it's just he didn't want me to bring it over and deliver it otherwise I'd expect a tip!!! Looks like he brought his own Coca Cola!

My friend's name is Meng. He's Chinese Cambodian.  Why mention his ethnicity? Without stereotyping too much, donut shops are often associated with Cambodians or is it the other way around? Whatever ... But my friend's parents own a donut shop so in the past we've traded pizzas for donuts.  This time I made some green dough rather than sugary dough if you get what I mean.   

He, his girlfriend and his friends are very happy customers.

By the way, the pizza was topped with Italian Sausage, Pepperoni, Spicy Chicken and Roasted Bell Peppers that I made.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 10:04:53 PM »
One last thing pertaining to the toppings.

Italian Sausage from Costco. I forget the brand but the one they sell is beyond excellent. I love it. Not sure if it's regional or if all Costcos in the nation carry this same brand.

Pepperoni from Smart & Final. Once again, forget the brand. You get a lot for the money and it's good stuff.

Bell Peppers. From 99 Cent Only Stores. 59 Cents a bell pepper. Ironically we used to work at 99 Cent Only Stores corporate in the IT Department which had nothing to do with me buying them there. Just the price is right and the quality was good. I cut them into strips and put bacon fat, yes you hear it, bacon fat all over the strips, sprinkled some salt, put in oven at 400 for about 25 mins or so. I forgot exact amount but they looked done right.

Chicken. White meat strips or breast strips. However you want to call it. Put in slow cooker, added water and enchilada sauce, tomato based enchilada sauce that is, the only kind in my opinion. Way better than the type that is chili pepper based.  The one I used is tomato based with chili pepper in it too.  Slow cooked it at the fasted speed of the speeds available. How ironic, fastest in the slow cooker. But it's chicken and not chuck roast, does not have to be in there forever. Took it out when done, shredded with forks and poured some of the sauce that was left over in it too juice it up a bit after it was shredded. Still have some left and will make enchiladas or tacos. Love 'em!!!

Sauce was whole peeled canned tomatoes. Walmart brand called "Great Value". You heard it, Walmart brand. I prefer Alta Cucina but those are hard to find now in my area unlike before.  Put in blender. Pulse a few times. Pour in a container and add back some juice until right consistency.  Add two cloves of freshly minced garlic, some salt, sugar, fresh oregano from my garden as well as fresh basil from garden, and some graded Parmesan (very little). Mix up by hand using a spoon or fork.

Cheese is whole milk mozzarella from Costco Business. Bought a block of Bella Rosano. Shredded using a box shredder that I modified by making the grates bigger which gives you bigger shreds (duh!). I actually modified it to make hash brown potatoes but it works great for this application.

Oh in the Calzone I added fresh mozzarella from Costco as well along with the Bella Rosano mozzarella. In it also was the sauce and sausage but nothing else.

I'm gonna call that pie the Meng after my friend.

That's how it is!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:18:33 PM by PizzaEater101 »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 08:35:05 AM »
Great story - it shows how much fun is involved with the preparation side of pizza making.

John

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 09:22:50 AM »
Indeed yours is a great story.  Love the Corvette, and the WRX too.

Dave

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 11:28:37 PM »
Thanks guys for your replies. So I must be the accidental professional pizza maker!

Tampa, good call on the WRX. Great car as well as my Little Red Corvette!

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 03:54:40 PM »
Enjoyed the read. The pie with all those peppers looks great. Which reminds me, I need to pick up some more.
Curious, how'd you end up with an Aussie grill?
Il miglior fabbro

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 05:46:44 PM »
Enjoyed the read. The pie with all those peppers looks great. Which reminds me, I need to pick up some more.
Curious, how'd you end up with an Aussie grill?

A couple of years ago I saw the Aussie Grill on sale at a store called Smart & Final. I think they go for $49 normally but it was on sale for I think $39. I thought I was going to do charcoal pizza by putting hot charcoal in it and put the kiln shelves on the grate and do that but I could not manager the heat well enough so I gave up on that and got the burner and propane tank. Cut out the openings with a jig saw and put it together and it worked great. Better pizza than in my home oven.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 05:44:02 PM »
This time I made some green dough rather than sugary dough if you get what I mean.

Do you mean you made it about 1/3 of the way between 4:00 and 5:00?

Offline Doug H

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 06:13:38 PM »
The pizzas look delicious!
I'm wondering where you were able to get the boxes? I did a bit of web searching and did not find ones with as nice of graphics as yours. I'm trying to follow in your footsteps and become an accidental professional, too!

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 09:34:09 PM »
The pizzas look delicious!
I'm wondering where you were able to get the boxes? I did a bit of web searching and did not find ones with as nice of graphics as yours. I'm trying to follow in your footsteps and become an accidental professional, too!

Hi Doug. I got them at Costco Business Center.  It's like Costco but aimed at business owners.  Anyone with a Costco membership can go there and buy stuff, you need not have a business.

Not the exact pizza box but something like that -

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11705373&whse=BD_823&Ne=4000000&eCat=BD_823|9899|49689|88102&N=4041435&Mo=15&No=6&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_823&cat=88102&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=9899*49689*88102*&topnav=bd

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 11:23:42 PM »
Well, my professional pizza making journey continues but not planned. My friend from my old job that ended in January, the guy in the picture above who bought some pizzas off of me wanted to meet up at his parents donut place. He wanted some pizza again and would pay for it but I told him he's my friend and I won't charge him but he insisted so I said how about we trade pizza for donuts and he thought it was a fine idea. So I go over and give him two pizza pies. 16 inchers. One Italian Sausage and Chicken and the other Chicken and Bell Peppers (roasted). He loved it as did another old co-worker who stopped by.

He and his dad are considering adding pizza to the menu. That poses some issues like how to bake the pizzas. But that's an obstacle that can be overcome should they want to go that route. We gave some slices to customers on a random basis just to see how they liked it. They all loved the pizza. I left and later my friend's dad came by the shop and tried it and loved it. He wants to do the pizza route.

Honestly, not sure how worth it will be to add pizza to the menu because he needs to figure out how many pizzas or slices he has to sell to turn a profit on the pizza side of the business and how much money they will add to the bottom line. Remember the primary business will always be donuts and pizza is to add some business.

I told him I'll stop by some time and help show them how to make pizza and sauce and all that. Now I guess I became a pizza consultant by accident, huh? I'm glad to help.

I don't have any photos but I can say the donuts were great!!!

pizzapan