Author Topic: Bakerstone Box Quick Review  (Read 10284 times)

Offline nick79brew

• I Love Pizza!
Bakerstone Box Quick Review
« on: February 17, 2014, 05:30:55 PM »
I received my bakerstone box on Saturday and fired up my first pies Sunday.  I don't have a lot of time for an exhaustive post but figured some folks would like to see a quick review.  Im into NY/New Haven style pies.  I may try a Neapolitan in the future, though I have never attempted the style.

The Box: Build quality seems pretty good, typical Chinese stuff, some elbow grease screwing to get a coupe things straight.  The box looks nice and is sturdy and comes with a cover.

Price: I preordered last spring and cant remember what I paid!  I believe it was around $125-$140.

Weather: 47 degrees and windy

Grill: Weber Genesis.  Note: I need to adjust my burners and/or regulator as I don't think Im getting a full throttle flame.

Dough: Quick NY style (recipe below)

Preheat: 40 min with lid open.  The instructions warn not to close the lid for venting.  Strange, as on their website video they have the lid propped on the front of the box. Top temps were 550 in front, 600 in back, 540 on ceiling.  After the first pie I partially closed the lid by propping it on the front of the box and the temps rose to 590 front, 679 back, 550 ceiling.

Baking: 13'' pie, launched and rotated about every 2-3 minutes, total cook time of 8 minutes.

Final Pizza: Nice snap to crust, good crumb, moderate char.  Needs flavor development that would come from an extended cold ferment.

Final Thoughts: Im happy with this product and its ability to maintain a temp for NY style pies much better than my home oven. The design is nice, temperature variation between top/bottom/front is easy to work with in rotation.  Im curious to see how hot it will become in warmer weather and by adjusting my grill.  Much better then smoking out my kitchen using the oven!

Update 2/19
-I fixed and updated the photos. 

-First pizza is fresh cut pineapple and local ham, second pizza is basil and shaved parm.

-I will fire up the box again this weekend, cover areas of my grill with foil, and remove the flavor bars.  With any luck it wont be windy and cold!

-for the dough I will cold ferment three days and up my hydration to 63%

Dough:Quick NY For Bakerstone Test

3 x 12 balls

Flour (100%):    611 g  |  21.55 oz | 1.35 lbs (KA, Sir Lancelot)
Water (62%):    378.82 g  |  13.36 oz | 0.84 lbs
IDY (.5%):    3.06 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.01 tsp | 0.34 tbsp
Salt (1.5%):    9.17 g | 0.32 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.64 tsp | 0.55 tbsp
Oil (1%):    6.11 g | 0.22 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.36 tsp | 0.45 tbsp
Sugar (2%):    12.22 g | 0.43 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.07 tsp | 1.02 tbsp
Total (167%):   1020.38 g | 35.99 oz | 2.25 lbs | TF = 0.10608
Single Ball:   340.13 g | 12 oz | 0.75 lbs
TF 1.04 plus 2% bowl loss

1)   Combine flour and water in KA mixer, Autolyse 10-15 min, add remaining ingredients
2)   3 rounds of Knead 5 min, rest 5 min.
3)   Fold 10 times, divided ball and put in oiled container
4)   Rise 2 hours in in fridge, remove and rise 2 more hours
5)   Partially shape and rest 10 min

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:02:51 PM by nick79brew »

Offline nick79brew

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Bakerstone Box Quick Review
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 05:35:10 PM »
Sorry about the sideway photos.  First time posting photos and Im not sure why that happened.  FYI pineapples are currently in season and amazing, paired up nicely with my local Afton Field Farm Ham!

Fixed!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:04:08 PM by nick79brew »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 08:39:36 AM »
Thanks for posting the review, Nick.  Tasty pie, much better than my early attempt with just a stone on the grill.
Dave

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 09:48:26 AM »
Wind has a big effect on the oven temperature.  You should get much higher temp when it is not windy.

Did you use all three burners?

Did you cover unused part of the grill with aluminum foil? this helps increasing your oven temp
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 09:56:32 AM by MightyPizzaOven »
Bert,

Offline nick79brew

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 11:28:09 AM »
I did use all three burners, and my sear station.  Again, I think I need to play with my regulator as Ive never felt my grill has given me full output.  Thanks for the aluminum foil idea,  I will give that a try next time. 

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 11:54:11 AM »
Another thing yo may want to try is to remove flavorizing bars to get immediate heat from the flames. Just double check if the oven can handle direct contact with flames.
Bert,

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 04:20:40 PM »
Beautiful pizzas but turn those photos.

Offline nick79brew

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 01:28:03 PM »
Update.

Fired up the Bakerstone again this past weekend.  I couldn't resist giving my first Neapolitan style pizza a shot.  Dough was made with 00 and IDY, 62.5% hydration, bulk cold ferment for 24 hrs, balled and cold fermented another 20 then removed from fridge 4 hours prior to launching.  Big mistake in allowing three of the balls to ferment together as I was not able to properly handle them to protect the cornichone.   Sauce was Muir Glen Organic whole peeled tomatoes drained and pureed with just a touch of salt.  These are my favorite tomatoes I have found so far.  The pie pictured is a Margherita.  I also baked a ham & pineapple and homemade Italian sausage with Mama Lil's peppers.

Weather: 50 degrees and slightly breezy.

I removed the flavor guards and added foil around the sides to help break the wind. 

Temp after 45 min preheat was 755 on bottom, 736 on top. Surprising how close the top and bottom temperatures are.  There is move variation between front and back.  I may try to make some type of prop so that the lid stays open but I can move the box back a couple inches.

The Bake: 3 min total bake time, rotating at 1 min intervals.

Overall: Damn, a really nice pie excellent crisp crust with soft chew, good flavor.

I have several areas to improve with my dough handling, and I need a brush to clear the stone in-between bakes.  I will most likely try a starter instead of IDY next time. I also need to replace my regulator on the grill.  I believe that in warmer weather I will easily be able to get above 800 with the box.  Im really looking forward to the warmer months of pie slinging on the deck.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:53:46 PM by nick79brew »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 02:33:12 PM »
Update.

Weather: 50 degrees and slightly breezy.

Temp after 45 min preheat was 755 on bottom, 736 on top. Surprising how close the top and bottom temperatures are.  There is move variation between front and back.  I may try to make some type of prop so that the lid stays open but I can move the box back a couple inches.

The Bake: 3 min total bake time, rotating at 1 min intervals.

Overall: Damn, a really nice pie excellent crisp crust with soft chew, good flavor.
That there is a good looking pie.  Good job Nick.

I do have a couple of questions.  You mention that it was 50 degrees.  It was raining, right?  Be honest, I use to live there. :D
And seeing the combination of pizza and brew, are you a friend of Ralph B.?  I know Ralph is chomping pie and swishing suds with a group of guys in the PDX area.
Dave

Offline caymus

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 05:22:51 PM »
Someday I hope to use mine (if the snow ever melts).  I wished that they would have delivered the units quicker.  Right now it is setting next to my Blackstone that I bought when I got tired of waiting.

Offline nick79brew

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 05:57:04 PM »
Maybe a light drizzle, but thats considered a nice March evening here! Im not familiar with Ralph, but Im down here in Corvallis brewing beer.

I hear you Caymus, I almost bought something else but distracted myself with the home oven over the extended wait period.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 06:19:39 PM »
Maybe a light drizzle, but thats considered a nice March evening here! Im not familiar with Ralph, but Im down here in Corvallis brewing beer.
Thanks for the reply Nick.  I guessed you were more toward the top of the state, not the beer-drinking capital.:D
Dave

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 08:31:12 PM »
Nick, that is a great looking pie.  Am I right in assuming you close the cover for a minute, open and take out the pie and rotate, then put back in and close cover and repeat?  I have a BS, but this looks like a good option, especially for folks that don't have room for 2 grills. 

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 06:55:25 AM »

If you prop the lid to stays open , your top stone temperature will drop...
Bert,

Offline nick79brew

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 10:15:39 AM »
Nick, that is a great looking pie.  Am I right in assuming you close the cover for a minute, open and take out the pie and rotate, then put back in and close cover and repeat?  I have a BS, but this looks like a good option, especially for folks that don't have room for 2 grills.

This time around the lid was propped on the top of the box.  I could try closing it completely next time and see what temp it reaches.  The instructions note not to do this and keep lid completely open, Im not sure why.

Offline nick79brew

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 10:47:49 AM »
If you prop the lid to stays open , your top stone temperature will drop...

Have you tried the box with the lid completely closed?  If so, what temp were you able to reach?

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 05:45:57 PM »
My oven design is different, It has a chimney and no front opening. I do not have lid n on my grill. When I insulated my oven with aluminum foil, I got as high as 825 f using three burners. (36000 btu)

Maybe they recommend not to close the lid to prevent damaging the coating. It may not handle high temperature.
Bert,

Offline caymus

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 05:50:19 PM »

Maybe they recommend not to close the lid to prevent damaging the coating. It may not handle high temperature.

You may be right.  The kick starter posting had a stainless shroud and showed the grill mostly closed.  I can not see wasting propane with the grill fully open

Offline Old Straw Hat Guy

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 08:08:22 PM »
Wonder how this would work with a charcoal BBQ?  Would be great for camping trips.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 08:17:35 PM »
Bakerstone still claim and advertise baking neapolitan  pizza with this oven. I don't see how this possible. No actual proof of this claim is available so far.

Nick79 used 3+1 burners 46000 btu, closed the cover and covered sides with aluminum foil to get mid 700s f,

Reaching low 800's during summer time may be possible, but I think temperature delta is going to be much higher.
Bert,