Author Topic: First bake with new Baking steel  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
First bake with new Baking steel
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:12:32 PM »
Used my Baking Steel today for first time to test it out before making pies on Sunday for guests. It turned out awesome. 16x14x3/8 Baking steel. Crust was crispy on outside, yet tender on inside. Was really impressed. 1 hour preheat, steel read 540 with IR thermometer. Bake was about 4 mins . First 3 minutes without broiler, last minute with broiler on. Dough was 63% hydration, 3 day cold ferment, KASL and KA bread flour 70/30 mix.

I used my new GI perforated peel to launch the pie, it works awesome. Was able to launch the pie using very little flour, it really works as advertised !!  I know Jconk007 sells them for a good price if anyone wants to try it. I highly recommend it.

Want thank Scott and Mary Ann for all their help and advice :) and putting up with all my stupid questions   :-D

Below are pictures of the pie and the rest of the dinner.
Sam

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: First bake with new Baking steel
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:16:34 PM »
Great job, Sam.  Also love the look of that Greek salad.  One of my favorite salads.
Mary Ann

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:40:19 PM »
Great job, Sam.  Also love the look of that Greek salad.  One of my favorite salads.

Thank you Marry Ann, I love Greek salads too  :) Thank you for all your help again!!
Sam

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 09:43:26 PM »
You're welcome  ;D
Mary Ann

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 08:32:37 PM »
This weekend's bake using steel for second time. Think I am starting get the hang of it ;D  Also some garlic knots and grilled eggplant with tomato, basil and fresh mozzarella salad with balsamic and EVOO.
Sam

Offline bionet

• Give us this day our daily pizza
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 03:05:34 PM »
Hey Rinoxxx, great looking pizzas. Question on the baking steel -- is this something you purchased or fabricated?

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 10:34:31 AM »
Hey Rinoxxx, great looking pizzas. Question on the baking steel -- is this something you purchased or fabricated?
Baking steel is a company that makes steel plates designed for baking similar to a baking stone. Baking steel.com is the web site. You can also have one custom cut at your local steel mill, it is cheaper that way but you have to sand it and season it yourself. Hope that helps.
Sam

Online scott123

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 12:14:31 PM »
You can also have one custom cut at your local steel mill, it is cheaper that way but you have to sand it and season it yourself. Hope that helps.

Actually, Sam, if removing mill scale is one's goal, unless you have an incredibly powerful commercial class sander at your disposal, sanding will not take off the mill scale.

To remove mill scale, it's a couple day soak in vinegar and a light scrubbing.

Not that taking the steel down to the bare metal is even necessary.  I bake on mill scale covered steel without any issue.  Seasoning, unless you live near the ocean where steel rusts a bit faster, provides no benefit.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 03:51:46 AM »
If you know any iron workers/metal fabricators have it bead blasted. Like a sandblaster but gentler, done with glass beads. Give you a nice finished surface for pretty cheap

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 06:43:35 PM »
Just got my 1/2" baking steel.
What's the recommended method for using this in a broiler underneath type oven?

I was thinking start in the main compartment on a stone, as high heat as possible, maybe 525.
Then switch to broiler compartment, preheated steel for a few minutes to brown top and bottom.

Any thoughts?

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 01:58:09 AM »
The first attempt went pretty well, I posted the result in the tomato pie thread.
First the stone in the oven, then the steel in the broiler.
There might be other ways to do this though...

I see 3 to 4 minutes tops in the broiler before things get overdone, so another option might be just to switch the stone and the steel.
6-7 minutes on steel in the oven, and 3-4 minutes on stone under the broiler.

Whichever gets the best result is the way to go for my particular oven, at least until I can swing a Blodgett.  ;D

pizzapan