Author Topic: Stromboli.........Not too off topic  (Read 35365 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Stromboli.........Not too off topic
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2008, 08:44:14 AM »
More than once I have read reviews of Al Forno in Providence, Rhode Island, best known for their grilled pizzas, that the owners, George Germon and Johanne Killeen (husband and wife) "invented" the grilled pizza. I am sure that they would be the first to say that they did not "invent" the grilled pizza. That is something that more likely happened shortly after someone discovered fire. There is little doubt that Germon/Killeen popularized the grilled pizza and, as such, deserve a lot of credit for making the grilled pizza a house specialty and putting Providence on the pizza map because of it.

Peter

Offline Lars

• Greetings from Venice.
    • Lars in Venice
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2008, 07:22:40 PM »
My Stromboli Page ;)

I made this for the first time last week.  I couldn't do it until I got a new oven, but now that I have one, I plan to do a lot more experimenting.

Offline candyman

• I Love Pizza!
    • Morgia's Pizza & More
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2008, 10:20:37 PM »
Actually, growing up in an Italian family, i can tell you there is a big difference between Stromboli and Calzoni.  The biggest difference is that a Stromboli has red sauce (pizza sauce) and a Calzoni does not.  Calzoni has Ricotta cheese or feta cheese and generally Italian Sausage, onions, peppers, and sometimes ham (can put any typical pizza topping in it)... seldom does it have Mozzarella cheese.  Calzoni is rolled like a jelly roll.  Stromboli usually has mozzarella cheese, sicilian sauce, and about any pizza topping.  Stromboli are made just like a pizza with all the toppings on one half of the pie (heaped up) and then the empty side of the pizza is folded over the toppings forming a half pie (or half moon shape).  Then, usually with a fork or ravioli cutter the sides are sealed together.  That is the difference and both come from Sicily.

Also, wanted to let you all know that these stromboli's look delish.

~Candyman~

Looks like my pain killers for my back were hitting me hard the night I posted this... as some have stated, YEP, I have the two backwards!  My BAD!  Sorry if any confusion.  But, what goes in both is correct!  I have seen pizza joints not using Ricotta cheese in Calzoni - but that would probably be because they are cheap skates and not because it isn't suppose to be in it.  A calzoni in Italy and most other parts of the world have Ricotta cheese.  If it is a fried Calzone without Ricotta it would be called a Panzerotti.  Anyways, I just reread my earlier post and had to wonder if I was drinking or on pain meds that night... maybe both.  Glad to see some who jumped right on it though and corrected me so others wouldn't get confused.

Joe
I believe we could have world peace if someone could make enough Pizza and supply enough Beer for Everyone!

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2009, 05:12:22 PM »
Ok since this thread died months back I thought it time to bring back boli's! Why, well because I have gotten into making them, and they are just too good, so you should make them too. That said I give you...

J's Mega Boli Post

Ah yes, the stromboli. Whether it was created by Romano's (and named after the Ingrid Bergman movie "Stromboli") as Romano's Italian restaurant in Essington PA in 1950 claims, or it truly came from Spokane Washington 4 years later as the NW says, either way it's a wonderful day when it's well made.

I was looking into this as a buddy of mines wife requested it, specifically using Glutenboy's 5-7 day dough.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7761.0.html
Cool idea, I thought, so off I went to research. I found 2 methods of folding on youtube, one making a round shape and doing a big "D" shaped boli.

And one lady who used canned dough and what looks like hamburger meat, she made a big loaf shape.

Then I slapped myself asking "have you learned nothing from trying to find good cooking before, just go to the place where you know they know what the heck they are doing!" So here I came, to this thread, and learned the "jelly roll" method, adding olive oil on top as well. I made GB's dough and it, with my sauce, was simply the best boli ever made on the planet anywhere in the history of man. My friends agreed, and actually they said it first, but I had to concur. Amazing. I don't think pizza places use a 5 day low yeast dough, what a difference. It makes me want to go into business and make a Boli and pizza to blow the local small town mind, yet another dream that will never be, lol. Then yesterday I made a 1 day boli dough, and wanted a heavier dough ball than 230g GB, so I made the Lehmann thicker crust, but no oil.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.msg19563.html#msg19563

THIS is how I'm guessing pizza places make Boli, as in this faster style dough, much more familiar good pizza place flavor and texture. Still fantastic, but try a 5  day GB, you'll see! Here's the whole thing in a mega pictorial. I have not posted much lately so I'm making up for lost time via bandwidth.  :)

Hope you make one soon, and stay happy!
J.

p.s. Yes, that is a piece of ham that literally blew out the top!  :o
Baked at 450 on 1.5 hr preheated stone, about 20 mins.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 05:34:37 PM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2009, 02:21:32 PM »
Since my boli created such a stir you'll all be happy to know I won't make a boli on a pizza stone anymore, so  :P

Lol. But seriously, cheese literally carbonized. Looked like black Teflon, shiny and metallic. I had to put the stone in self clean cycle, man does that work! Every oil discoloration since day 1 gone! Like it was out of the box. That said I think boli's are best made on a pan... or something else anyway.

I hear some people "season" the stone? I tried a little garlic and oregano, had no affect at all.

"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2009, 06:43:29 PM »
Since my boli created such a stir you'll all be happy to know I won't make a boli on a pizza stone anymore, so  :P

Lol. But seriously, cheese literally carbonized. Looked like black Teflon, shiny and metallic. I had to put the stone in self clean cycle, man does that work! Every oil discoloration since day 1 gone! Like it was out of the box. That said I think boli's are best made on a pan... or something else anyway.

I hear some people "season" the stone? I tried a little garlic and oregano, had no affect at all.

Hey, Jim!
You are SUCH a kidder!  Thanks for that!
I've always cooked my Stromboli on a pan, I guess cause I always figured they're too thick for a stone and the bottoms would cook too fast and leave the tops underdone. 
The pics of your 'bolis are wonderful... and are making me hungry!  I actually have a recipe for Stromboli made with flour tortillas!  While not the norm, they certainly are quick and tasty!  But, I think I need to go get some dough started.....

~sd

Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2009, 06:55:44 PM »
SD
Will you share your "recipe" for bolis made with flour tortillas...Sounds like something I would really like to try.   Any pictures would also sure be appreciated.  ;D
Thanks
Buffalo

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2009, 07:15:08 PM »
SD
Will you share your "recipe" for bolis made with flour tortillas...Sounds like something I would really like to try.   Any pictures would also sure be appreciated.  ;D
Thanks
Buffalo

Here ya go, Buffalo!
Hope I don't get flamed for posting something so "unauthentic" but they sure are a quick and easy meal alternative when you don't have time to make dough!  I got the recipe from the back of a bag of tortillas!

STROMBOLI WRAPS      

4 Burrito sized flour tortillas
1/3 c butter, softened and divided
6 T grated Parm, divided
4 oz provolone cheese, thinly sliced
4 oz salami, thinly sliced
4 oz capicola or ham, thinly sliced
c jarred roasted red bell peppers, rinsed and cut into strips
4 oz mozzarella, shredded
marinara sauce or pizza sauce, optional

Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Lightly spread one side of each tortilla with softened butter, sprinkle with 1 T parmesan cheese.  Arrange one fourth each of provolone, salami, capicola or ham and roasted peppers of center of tortillas, leaving border around edges.  Sprinkle with one fourth mozzeralla.  Fold up wrap fashion and place seam side down on baking sheet.  Brush with remaining butter and sprinkle with remaining parmesan
Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Slice each stromboli on the diagonal.  Serve with marinara or pizza sauce for dipping.

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2009, 08:45:19 AM »
SD
This sounds 1) QUICK   2)EASY   3)DELICIOUS.. ;D ;D
Thanks a million....
Buffalo

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2009, 10:36:16 AM »

Lol. But seriously, cheese literally carbonized. Looked like black Teflon, shiny and metallic. I had to put the stone in self clean cycle...

Well, if only I had heeded my own words. But it was not the blackness of carbonizing cheese, not at all. No my friends, this was not the trouble. It was me watching for bursting cheese through the oven door, and being about 2 seconds too late! As I opened the door, the cold air drawing in, the cheese erupted simultaneously. Perhaps too many temperature extremes, perhaps the old boy just had enough and could take no more...

It was a good stone. We learned so much together, so many trials and tribulations thrust upon us during our creative efforts and education. Ah the joys, the tears, I'll always remember my first stone dearly. R.I.P.  :'(

Also I noticed right away it was a freakishly close outline of the San Andreas fault, image below, hope this isn't some bad prophecy...written in stone.  :o
(start heading east Mike)

It will make a great top stone anyway, as I am now going to the Fibrament 15.5 x 15.5 x 3/4. So bigger better things ahead! We always have to see the positive in times of mourning.

p.s. The boli rocked!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 10:39:22 AM by NY pizzastriver »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
RIP! Stone my recent WFO Boli's
john
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2009, 10:54:38 PM »
This is how we used to make strombolis (Part 1):

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2009, 10:55:52 PM »
Part 2:

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2009, 10:57:16 PM »
Part 3:

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2009, 10:59:25 PM »
Part 4:

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2009, 11:03:16 PM »
Part 5:

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2009, 11:06:14 PM »
Part 6:

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2009, 11:07:24 PM »
Part 7:

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2009, 05:00:37 PM »
WOW! Now thats a pro Bowl i ;D
john
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2010, 01:01:56 AM »
To my knowledge stromboli is Sicillian. Notice I didn't say Italian. :-D Calzones are from those other guys up north.

I came across a French bastardized version of a stromboli once with ham, swiss and mustard while traveling europe. Yes you read it right, mustard. There was no red sauce, so it was almost like a slice of a baked ham and cheese sandwich. I don't know if I'd call it stromboli myself, but just thought I would throw that out there for those of you looking for some stromboli variation. It's an easy platform to experiment different tastes with. I think what makes these taste so good is the juices and grease are trapped inside the log and soaked up by the inner folds of dough.