Author Topic: Calabrian Honey  (Read 380 times)

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Calabrian Honey
« on: February 22, 2014, 05:32:43 PM »
Last week, I made a pie with hot sausage and some Onion Marmalade (a la Reinhart).  It was a great mix of spicy and salty with sweet and sour.

So then, based on my readings on this forum, I order some of Mike's Hot Honey last week.  Meh.  My wife and I were both underwhelmed.  The spiciness seemed overpowering and the sweetness made it taste like "cough medicine" (quoting my better half).

Hmmmm.  I thought about Craig's Calabrian Chile oil and also surfed the web a bit and found some examples.  Here goes (I did not want to make too much since I was unsure about whether we would like it or not.

1.     1/3 cup honey and 1 Tablespoon of chopped calabrian peppers
2.     Heated in a double boiler for a fews minutes
3.     Let it cool down for 10 minutes
4.     Strained into a squirt bottle

An hour later, my wife came home from the market.  She had bought some cooked chicken wings for a quick lunch. 

Verdict:  She thought it was quite good on the wings and much, much better than the hot honey!

Tomorrow, we are having guests over.  Looks like this is going on a hot sausage pizza.

- Mitch

PS Oops - Just realized this is a quasi double post.   :-[ Mmmph showed his chile oil here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=27223.0

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 07:12:08 PM by mitchjg »

Offline trblaze

Re: Calabrian Honey
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 09:00:11 PM »
Have you tried this on a Pizzza yet?  If so how was it?  :)

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Calabrian Honey
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 08:42:53 AM »
I drizzled some on a sopresatta, cheese, tomato sauce pie.  It was good, but not great.  I need to fool with it more, but I think it may have not been spicy enough - i.e., too much sweet vs. spice.

It was great on some grilled chicken.

- Mitch

pizzapan