Author Topic: Sauce Scaling help  (Read 601 times)

Offline PizzaGarage

Sauce Scaling help
« on: February 23, 2014, 08:55:41 AM »
Looking to see if anyone knows of a good method for increasing batch sizes for a sauce recipe?  I have a recipe made with a #10 can and need to increase size by 4 to 6 times original.  Sauce consists tomato sauce, water, sea salt, sugar, thyme, basil, course ground black pepper, marjoram, garlic powder and romano cheese.

I don't think you can just multiple the ingredients by 4, especially salt and sugar and most likely can't do with the others either, I suspect the flavor will be way too strong....

Looking to see if any one has a formula or an on line calculator they can recommend?  Any help would be great.....

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 09:14:39 AM by PizzaGarage »

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: Sauce Scaling help
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 01:17:13 PM »
Just weigh all your dry ingredients for one can, the scaling up..or down is easy.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 01:19:14 PM »
This looks kind of good if your looking for a calculator type thingy! http://chefben.tripod.com/recipe_calculator.html

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 08:12:39 PM »
Thank you.  Will take a look....

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 11:10:53 PM »
Thank you.  Will take a look....

If you Google 'recipe conversion calculator' there's several of them. I remember using one of them before with ok results

jon

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 12:01:56 AM »
Am I missing something here?  If you need 4 to 6 times as much, just multiple everything in the recipe by 4 to 6.   ???

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 12:37:11 AM »
Am I missing something here?  If you need 4 to 6 times as much, just multiple everything in the recipe by 4 to 6.   ???

Depending on what you're scaling up or down and how you're doing it, the problems start when going much more than that 4x-6x. Even less can be problematic if going from volume measures. Several factors can make a noticeable change in the end product. Usually batching up or down on a small scale at home is not much of a problem but commercially there is actually more precision needed to keep things from turning into a mess. Going by weights vs volume measures is obviously just one big factor to be used in your favor

jon

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 12:39:21 AM »
Depending on what you're scaling up or down and how you're doing it, the problems start when going much more than that 4x-6x. Even less can be problematic if going from volume measures. Several factors can make a noticeable change in the end product. Usually batching up or down on a small scale at home is not much of a problem but commercially there is actually more precision needed to keep things from turning into a mess. Going by weights vs volume measures is obviously just one big factor to be used in your favor

jon

I don't think so, the recipe should remain the same but all ingredients should be multiplied by the same factor.  This will preserve the concentration or mass ratios or however you want to measure it.

Edit:If this wasn't true, we would not be using bakers percents, instead everything would "scale" (in the technical sense, i.e. not isometric or in direct proportionality).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:46:41 AM by CDNpielover »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 01:38:56 AM »
And 99% of people here also recommend using weights not volume. If you were to scoop 5 cups of flour it will weigh different every time. Now make that 50 cups of flour or more you error is considerably more. Spices also, how fine or coarse the grind is will cause a lot of variance from cup to cup, batch to batch or from different sources and suppliers. Using weights will always be more accurate. Also not all volumetric containers are not the same from one manufacturer to another. As I said, small scale not that much of an issue, but when going to large scale one must use weights for consistency to preserve the original product. Having made litterally 1000's of pounds of sausage and salami etc over the years I would never eyeball or use volume measures when making large batches. I've seen others do this and wonder why 300-400 pounds of sausage didn't turn out like last years and everyone is blaming the other when in fact they were all guilty of using bad measuring habits. Small stuff taste and go. Making for large groups or batches, must be careful

jon

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
I agree with you about mass vs. volume measurements, but I think the question was about how to "scale" (increase or decrease) a recipe right? Mass vs. volume measurements is a different issue.   :chef:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:17:30 AM by CDNpielover »

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 10:36:14 AM »
Yes, looking to increase the batch size.

There has to be something else beside the weight measurement, some calculation especially for Salt and Sugar and stronger herbs, garlic etc...

I weigh to grams, a simple doubling or tripling to increase batch size does not work.  Flavor is way off and far too strong.  I am thinking there needs to be a reduction calculation based on the # of times the batch is multiplied by 100%.  My batch is a single #10 can, and looking to move the size to 4 #10 at a minimum and would prefer to do do 6 #10 cans.  I'm wasting a lot of product trying to make it happen.  I don't think there is a clear cut answer but was hoping there was a calculator out there to assist.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 10:48:35 AM »
Here's some reading for you. As you know, rephrasing the problem on a Google search will lend you some other results in the search engine. .org, .gov, etc or university web pages  will give more reliable sites

https://www.google.com/search?q=problems+with+scalingrecipe+size&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb#channel=sb&q=problems+with+scaling+recipe+size&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&spell=1

jon

Offline pdog

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 03:55:57 PM »
Yes, looking to increase the batch size.

There has to be something else beside the weight measurement, some calculation especially for Salt and Sugar and stronger herbs, garlic etc...

I weigh to grams, a simple doubling or tripling to increase batch size does not work.  Flavor is way off and far too strong.  I am thinking there needs to be a reduction calculation based on the # of times the batch is multiplied by 100%.  My batch is a single #10 can, and looking to move the size to 4 #10 at a minimum and would prefer to do do 6 #10 cans.  I'm wasting a lot of product trying to make it happen.  I don't think there is a clear cut answer but was hoping there was a calculator out there to assist.

Until you get it figured out couldnt you simple make your sauce 6 times?

When you multiple your ingredients by 6 what happens to the sauce?  Does it taste to salty, to sweet, etc?

pizzapan