Author Topic: Using every trick in the book for an excellent laminated cracker  (Read 4644 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Using every trick in the book for an excellent laminated cracker
« on: February 25, 2014, 12:10:36 AM »
I wanted to put all the pieces together in one spot....put all the tricks in one effort to create good eats.  This will be an effort to create a fantastic laminated cracker crust using a 40% hydrated dough....it can be done!
For this exercise I use as my recipe (I made a 16 ounce dough)
flour (All Trumps)                100%
hot water                             40%
salt                                         2.5%
oil                                           4.0%
sugar                                      2.0%
non fat dry milk                       1.25%
IDY                                            .75%

Put all the dry ingredients in the Kitchen Aid bowl.  Mix.  Add water and oil.  Using the paddle attachment, mix until the dough comes together (because there is so little water, this will take some time).  Don't develop the dough in the bowl.  Smoosh the dough together, and place in an oiled plastic bag and place in a barely warm oven.  At the 15 minute mark, take the dough out of the oven and do a stretch and fold (the dough is very crumbly, reshape it, flatten it , and put it in the bag and back into the oven.  At the 30 minute mark, take the dough back out of the oven and do another stretch and fold (you will notice a big change in the dough at this point).  Reshape it, flatten it, and place back in the bag and back into the oven.  At the 60 minute mark take the dough out of the oven and go to your bread board.  The dough should be very nice to work with.  Roll out the dough into as thin a sheet as you can.

Back in 2009, I did an experiment regarding laminations and found that 6 layers  is about perfect if using a lightly mixed dough.  Here is my experiment.   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6604.msg69047#msg69047

Fold the dough into sixths and roll out.  Take your time.  Let the dough rest if it needs to.  When the dough gets about one quarter to three eights inch thick, divide the dough sheet into desired shapes.  Further thin down these skins until desired thickness is reached.  Put finished skins in freezer for 1 hour, and then into the fridge overnight.

I would not recommend trying a 40% hydrated dough....I am only illustrating that the stretch and fold really works even in extreme conditions.  I even used it on a 36% dough last week, unfortunately, I couldn't get the sheet rolled to create anything worth sharing.  We know the RT clone makes excellent pizza (48%), and I've done 45% dough many times....it's the "process" that is important.

The following pictures show the dough right before sheeting and pizzas that I baked after the skins sat in the fridge for 24 hours.  By the way, excellent skins!!!!!  These are as crisp and as tender as I've ever made, and were very exciting to me!

John

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:14:29 AM by fazzari »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Using every trick in the book for an excellent laminated cracker
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 02:11:18 PM »
John,

Very nice job as usual.

When you say to use hot water, is there a particular water temperature you use?

Peter

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 06:03:40 PM »

When you say to use hot water, is there a particular water temperature you use?

Peter
I just use as hot as my tap will give me Peter, since the dough will be going into a warm oven anyway.
John

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 06:30:50 PM »
Looks like damn good pizza John.  :chef:
I've been waiting for something like this...open up the hood and throw all the tricks at her. Just this morning I was sitting, thinking about how I could make a dough using all the Fazzari techniques and bake it on a 620ish BS.

Thanks John!  :chef:

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 02:07:13 AM »
Looks like damn good pizza John.  :chef:
I've been waiting for something like this...open up the hood and throw all the tricks at her. Just this morning I was sitting, thinking about how I could make a dough using all the Fazzari techniques and bake it on a 620ish B
Bob
If you "do" try this, please go for something like an RT clone (48%)...very doable!!!!

John

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 11:44:37 AM »
Bob
If you "do" try this, please go for something like an RT clone (48%)...very doable!!!!

John
Will do! I have a 4 day old stretch an fold 65%'er going right now and it looks good. But I look forward to trying a 48% with "all the tricks".  ;)

Bob

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 03:43:49 PM »
Hey John,

I'm curious what purpose the nonfat dry milk serves for your dough. I have a pretty good idea, I think, but I'd like to hear what you have to say about it.

I've been intending for a long time to try adding nonfat dry milk to my Tommy's dough, as well as non-diastatic malt powder or syrup (which should arrive in the mail tomorrow or the next day), in addition to the standard flour, water, yeast, salt, sugar, and fat.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 04:18:40 PM »
Here's the pie I made with the tricks I mentioned above.
She ain't exactly pretty but she sure tastes sweet.  >:D

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 01:25:51 PM »
I've decided I'm gonna try making some of this dough; maybe today. You're using unbromated All Trumps, right? It just so happens that I have about 9 lbs of that stuff, which I figured I was probably never going to use. Might as well use it for this.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 01:46:06 PM »
Man Bob, was that cooked with a blowtorch or did you start drinking before the pizza was done?

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 01:51:16 PM »
Man Bob, was that cooked with a blowtorch or did you start drinking before the pizza was done?

I'm guessing it was on the Blackstone, which practically is a blowtorch.  ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 04:27:56 PM »
Ha! That was my BS using the "New Haven" switch....it goes to 11.  >:D

Bob

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 05:08:12 PM »
Hey John,

I'm curious what purpose the nonfat dry milk serves for your dough. I have a pretty good idea, I think, but I'd like to hear what you have to say about it.

I've been intending for a long time to try adding nonfat dry milk to my Tommy's dough, as well as non-diastatic malt powder or syrup (which should arrive in the mail tomorrow or the next day), in addition to the standard flour, water, yeast, salt, sugar, and fat.
Ryan
For this recipe all I did was lower the hydration on Peter's Round Table clone...since it had the nonfat dry milk, I kept it in.  The pizza was soooo good I am experimenting with it at work.....so I would keep it in.  As for the malt...maybe you should forget the sugar if you do this..or you could have quick browning issue.

A couple points...make sure you use the skin right out of the fridge, don't let it warm up.  The skins themselves will tell you at what temperature they want to be baked....so make a few so you can test your temp.  Of course, on the perfect skin baked at the perfect temp, the top and bottom will be done at the same time.  Hope it works for you!
John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 06:31:32 PM »
Here's the pie I made with the tricks I mentioned above.
She ain't exactly pretty but she sure tastes sweet.  >:D
Bob
Did you have any problems rolling that out???

John

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 08:42:19 PM »
This is not working for me. I have rolled 34 oz of this dough into a sheet of about 2' x 4'. This dough is still not very thin, but I can't roll it any thinner, partly because I can't even reach the end of it. I can barely even stand up right now.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 08:47:41 PM »
I ended up cutting the sheet in half and rolling each half a little bigger, then I folded each piece into four layers. Right now I'm resting. I will roll each of the two pieces much thinner once I get some energy back. I used the formula from the original post, with unbromated All Trumps.

Online dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 08:53:15 PM »
Following this thread!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 09:06:01 PM »
Bob
Did you have any problems rolling that out???

John
I rolled it warm and had to let er rest a couple times...not bad though.
Ryan, on the other hand.....hates rolling dough. Maybe we should all do a Scott appreciation dealio for him and buy the man a sheeter!    ;D

Bob

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 09:21:12 PM »
I have one of the folded pieces proofing in the oven right now because I couldn't roll it even after giving it a good rest at room temperature. When I take it out, I'll unfold it and try to roll it much thinner before folding it again.

I noticed right after my two most recent posts that John only made 16 oz of dough. Big difference from my 34 oz. Had I noticed that earlier, it may have helped me some. But I think this much is true: You can't make very big laminated skins like this (with dough this stiff) unless you have a sheeter (or a whole bunch of roids).

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 10:31:42 PM »
OK, I've managed to roll one of them thin enough to get an 11" trimmed skin that weighs 10.9 oz. That's about TF=0.115. Hopefully I can get the second one a little thinner.