Author Topic: Vinny's Italian Grill & Pizzeria - Manassas, VA  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Vinny's Italian Grill & Pizzeria - Manassas, VA
« on: April 10, 2006, 10:27:14 PM »
This is a new branch of the growing VA-based chain, open about 2 weeks.  I think it is a franchise store, the managers/owners(?) were a Korean couple who were working the room.  The staff was very friendly, and Vinny was actually there working with the staff. 

I give a mixed rating to the pizza.  The topping were top shelf, Grande cheese, fresh mushrooms, and very tasty sausage.  The sauce was a mild tomato sauce made with 6-1 tomatoes.  However, I follow Peter Reinhart's axiom that pizza is 80% crust and the Vinny's crust was only ok.  The pizzas are made in a deck oven and while the crust was brown on the bottom, it wasn't really charred. While they don't bake in a pan, the pie had a slight pan pizza flavor, I wonder if they put some extra oil on the crust. There also wasn't much cornicone in the crust which was a little bland.

I didn't try other items on the menu except for the Vinny's Red Ale which was pretty good.  All in all, I'd say this Vinny's deserves credit for a friendly atmosphere and staff that is really trying hard, but the pizza could be better.  Extra points for their willingness to sell me a #10 can of 6 in 1 Ground Tomatoes for $8.

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Vinny's Italian Grill & Pizzeria - Manassas, VA
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 12:30:59 AM »
Give 'em a couple or three of months to get up to speed and then try them again. There's a Vinny's about 8 miles from my house, and I found that the quality of the crust improved dramatically betweeen my first visit a couple of weeks after they opened and my visit a couple of months later, and saw another step up in quality on my third visit, about 6 months after they opened.

Extra points for their willingness to sell me a #10 can of 6 in 1 Ground Tomatoes for $8.
BTW, it's not just 6-in-1: they'll sell you flour (All Trumps), Grande (by the block, bag, or lb.), sausage, meatballs, OO, or any other ingredient they use.

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 12:34:45 AM »
Forgot to mention: check out this thread.

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 11:40:01 AM »
Good point on giving them time to work out the openning jitters. It's a little unfair to review a restaurant right after they open. I enjoyed my pizza, it just wasn't the best ever (of course, what is) I'll probably try Vinny's again.  BTW, it was the thread on this site that made me go!

pizzapan