Author Topic: SourdoUtility - computer/phone webapp timer and misc sourdough utility  (Read 1817 times)

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
  • gameplay engineer / pizza maker
    • sourdough utility app
I started working on a smartphone accessable web-app using Craig's data and some reversing of the math used in the googledocs spreadsheet - all from http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649

i got to the point where I have something that you can use to time your dough proofing after you've made it.  After getting this far i'm wondering if it isn't actually very useful and what might make it more useable - perhaps i can take Craig's %starter prediction and add it as a separate mode on top of this.

Here's the web-app:

http://ssqpm.makebendrink.com/

try it out on your computers and smart phones (i've tested with win7-chrome and ios-safari).  it's basically an eggtimer that does all the sourdough prediction lookups for you.  I think this is probably only useful in the cases that Craig lays out, where your proofer isn't running at the same temp that you are used to.  Or if you're like me and you don't plan ahead very well, at least you can now track what you're doing :D

this saves the data on your device.  If we end up making it useful enough I can have it back up to the cloud... and maybe we can get it added to this site. 

how to use it:
- when you first go to the site (or after you reset your data) it will ask you what starter percent you are using.
- next it will ask you to add a time stamp and temperature.  If you just mixed your dough, just click the "NOW" button, modify your temp and click Add
- you can add new timestamps in the future by clicking the Add Timestamp button
- you can modify old timestamps by clicking on them
- as an added bonus, since i'm supporting Celcius, you can mix and match your temperature readings if you want to.  it will save the last C/F selection you've made

- when you re-visit the site, it should keep your data around (uses html5 client data storage, so it requires your browser to support html5)
 - it also saves the last temp you used, in-case you never switch the temperature up much you won't have to modify that often.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:26:41 PM by anverc »
i'm making a pizza utility app.  check it out and give suggestions! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30444.0

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
Re: SourdoUtility - computer/phone webapp timer and misc sourdough utility
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 03:15:31 PM »
This is great. Thanks. If possible how about the same for IDY, ADY and CY?

Sorry to be so greedy but if you don't ask you don't get!

Kudos to TxCraig for the seminal work leading to this highly useful app by anverc!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 03:29:33 PM »
This is great. Thanks. If possible how about the same for IDY, ADY and CY?

Sorry to be so greedy but if you don't ask you don't get!

Kudos to TxCraig for the seminal work leading to this highly useful app by anverc!

John K
Thanks!
i'm adding a menu tonight, which will point at "sourdough fermentation timer" and nothing else for the near-term.  I'll be adding the ability to store multiple timers later this week when i have time.  I also want to add some handy features like "Tell me when i should switch between temps to target a time" and also re-create the googledocs prediction model spreadsheet in the app (the spreadsheet is hard to use on a phone and I already have all the math set up, i just need to present the data differently in that mode).

i'm pretty new to the forums, do we have data on those types already?  we can turn this into a full blow pizza making app, i just need instructions on what to add, or (in the case of different types of fermentation) what to use ;)
i'm making a pizza utility app.  check it out and give suggestions! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30444.0

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:51:09 PM »
Nice.

If you decide to expand it to baker's yeast (IDY, ADY, CY), send me an email, and I'll shoot you the spreadsheet that drives the baker's yeast chart here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg285982#msg285982
Pizza is not bread.

Offline texmex

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 12:20:25 PM »
  we can turn this into a full blow pizza making app, i just need instructions on what to add, or (in the case of different types of fermentation) what to use ;)

I would love to see the dough mixture calculation tools in app form whenever you decide to move into the full-blown pizza making app.  Nice to see a game developer taking an interest in this. :)
www.pizzamaking.com/dough_tools.html
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:24:13 PM by texmex »
Reesa

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 01:21:54 PM »
Anverc that is really cool!  Well done! 

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
    • sourdough utility app
Thanks for the encouragement :D

Craig sent me his model on Baker's yeast and it's a bit over my head, but it's here so we'll have bakers yeast added to the utility at some point :) (Thanks Craig!)

I just updated the app to allow for offline mode!  This was pretty important as the server is in my basement and goes offline from time to time.  Now, if the server is offline your browser should use the offline version (or better yet, if you install the app on your handheld device, it should just always work). If you already installed the app, you may need to fully close it before it will update to the latest version (on iOS, double tap the home button and flick the utility off the screen.  Then click home button again and re-launch)

I would love to see the dough mixture calculation tools in app form whenever you decide to move into the full-blown pizza making app.  Nice to see a game developer taking an interest in this. :)
www.pizzamaking.com/dough_tools.html
great idea! This is on my todo list now.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
sourdough is a little more 'wild' in terms of nailing down a set time of rise based off of percent, what culture are you basing this off of?
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
    • sourdough utility app
sourdough is a little more 'wild' in terms of nailing down a set time of rise based off of percent, what culture are you basing this off of?

It's an average based on forum findings and some similar yeast models that TXCraig1 used to extrapolate everything.   Check out his thread on the subject for more information: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649.0

I've used it with my Ischia and Camadoli cultures and it's close enough that i think it's perfect for either.  ;D

Offline texmex

Thanks for the encouragement :D

Craig sent me his model on Baker's yeast and it's a bit over my head, but it's here so we'll have bakers yeast added to the utility at some point :) (Thanks Craig!)

I just updated the app to allow for offline mode!  This was pretty important as the server is in my basement and goes offline from time to time.  Now, if the server is offline your browser should use the offline version (or better yet, if you install the app on your handheld device, it should just always work). If you already installed the app, you may need to fully close it before it will update to the latest version (on iOS, double tap the home button and flick the utility off the screen.  Then click home button again and re-launch)
great idea! This is on my todo list now.

Awesome!  I use my tablet a lot to refer to recipes, and this will be a huge help, instead of turning on the computer and printing those formulations.  Wish I had the html brain or whatever is required to create apps.  Thank you for showing interest in this aspect!
Reesa

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 04:32:45 PM »
I use my tablet a lot to refer to recipes, and this will be a huge help, instead of turning on the computer and printing those formulations.

Have you checked your app store? A quick search turned up Baker's Percentage for iOS and Dough Pro for Android.

If you don't mind using another web app http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25404.msg293378#msg293378 might be of some interest to you.

Offline texmex

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 06:28:57 PM »
Have you checked your app store? A quick search turned up Baker's Percentage for iOS and Dough Pro for Android.

If you don't mind using another web app http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25404.msg293378#msg293378 might be of some interest to you.
I am new to the app world since I got my tablet for christmas (my phone ain't smart).. thanks for pointing me in that direction, dsissitka. :) I guess there's an app for everything.
Reesa

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 07:14:01 PM »
I am new to the app world since I got my tablet for christmas (my phone ain't smart).. thanks for pointing me in that direction, dsissitka. :) I guess there's an app for everything.
which utility do you use the most right now?  i'm just about done with the lehmann calculator clone - basically what dsissitka's web-app does, but without having to modify the url, and it saves your recipes. i want to add suggested hydration long term, we can pick that up from flour type i would think.

Offline texmex

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 08:05:49 PM »
I use the preferment utility most often -- but I really like the multi ingredient one for when feel like doing some dough expermenting.
Reesa

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 05:54:56 PM »
I finally had time to get the dough percentage calculator working good enough to release.  You can access it from the Menu button (the menu also shows when you launch the app as well)

it looks something like this, you can click on an ingredient to modify it, or on the Desired Outcome to modify the ball size, number of balls, and residue (waste).  I'd like to add support to help you figure out pre-ferment calculations in the near future.

keep the suggestions coming :)

note: if you have "installed" the app, you may need to close and re-open it to get the update to download on iOS.

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 11:45:27 AM »
The dough calculator now supports marking ingredients as flour, water, starter, other.  This allows it to be more precise when using significant amounts of starter.

i also got my hands on an ipad, so i'll be working towards a better tablet layout in the near future (right now it's obviously only targeting phone layouts so the text and buttons and whatnot are pretty small on tablets)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 11:48:44 AM by anverc »

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 01:32:06 PM »
The dough calculator now supports marking ingredients as flour, water, starter, other.  This allows it to be more precise when using significant amounts of starter.

i also got my hands on an ipad, so i'll be working towards a better tablet layout in the near future (right now it's obviously only targeting phone layouts so the text and buttons and whatnot are pretty small on tablets)

Don't forget to scale for high DPI devices ;)
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline joaopmaia

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 07:46:40 PM »
@anverc,

Really cool idea. Any interest in turning that into a full blown native app for the iPhone?

There are some interesting possibilities when doing that, like for instance creating push notifications to alert you when the dough/starter needs to be tended to.

--Joao

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 08:31:28 PM »
@anverc,

Really cool idea. Any interest in turning that into a full blown native app for the iPhone?

There are some interesting possibilities when doing that, like for instance creating push notifications to alert you when the dough/starter needs to be tended to.

--Joao

Yea, I've also thought of push notifications and the like. There are some ways to compile we apps into native apps, so I could see this happening sometime in the future. :)

It's open source now as well, there's a link to the github repository in the menu. The URL has also changed:
http://pizzautility.makebendrink.com

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
    • sourdough utility app
i've moved somewhere where i can't run the server anymore.  i have some hosting plans set up and will have the utility back up and running some time next week (too much going on before then).