Author Topic: Dough Help Please  (Read 815 times)

Offline halfprice

Dough Help Please
« on: February 25, 2014, 06:57:56 PM »
I cook my pizzas on a Blackstone oven.  Currently I've been using 100% Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour.  My wife and I like different toppings on our pizza and they seem to get burnt cooking it at 800-850*  which is needed to brown the 00 flour.  I made a Chau Deflector which helps brown the crust but this really burns the toppings.  Sometimes I cook without the Chau Deflector which helps a little but it doesn't  brown 00 crust I like.

I would like to cook at a lower temp, maybe 500-550* but still use the Caputo 00.  The wife and I really like the flavor of 00.  What percent AP to 00 should I use to still get the 00 flavor but get the crust to brown???

Guess I should add that I currently use 100% 00, 61-63% water, .15 salt, and idy  Dough seems a little wet after 48-72 hr fermentation and it stretches very easy, almost to easy.  I would actually like it to spring back a little.

Jerry
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:33:24 PM by halfprice »

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
Re: Dough Help Please
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 08:24:29 PM »
Are you weighing your ingredients? Usually the 00 flour for NP pies is 65% hydration, how are you mixing it? It will be a soft, extensible dough so don't over work it too much. Post your recipe amounts, you didn't say how much yeast you are using so your 72 hour ferment might be too long.

Offline halfprice

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:41:33 PM »
I tried 65% on the first batch and it was way to wet, at least it was compared to some of the youtube videos I have watched.

I use a digital scale and weigh everything by the gram.  Right now I'm using ADY only because its what I have right now.  The store was out of IDY last time I needed it.

So here's my calculations for 6 dough balls:

Flour (100%):    1090.91 g  |  38.48 oz | 2.41 lbs
Water (63%):    687.27 g  |  24.24 oz | 1.52 lbs
ADY (.5%):    5.45 g | 0.19 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.44 tsp | 0.48 tbsp
Salt (1.5%):    16.36 g | 0.58 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.41 tsp | 1.14 tbsp
Total (165%):   1800 g | 63.49 oz | 3.97 lbs | TF = N/A
Single Ball:   300 g | 10.58 oz | 0.66 lbs

After activating the yeast everything goes into a KA mixer until it looks good to me.  Since I just started using 00 and only made two batches so far, here's what I did.  After mixing I let it bulk rise for an hour or so then it went into the fridge.  24 hours later I rolled 6 balls out of it and back into the fridge in individual containers.

Like I said I what to change things up a bit and mix the 00 with AP so I can lower the heat and not burn the toppings.

Jerry
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:43:48 PM by halfprice »

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 09:13:01 AM »
mixing your dough til it looks good might not be the best method. I have found this a good starting point for NP pie dough, using your stand mixer, incorporate all ingredients and mix slowly for two minutes, until you have made a ball. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes, to allow the flour to absorb the water. Then, mix at a middle speed (3 on a KitchenAid) for 5 minutes, and slow again for 2 minutes. use a timer. remove from mixer and make a large ball then place in a slightly oiled bowl, cover it with a towel or plastic wrap, and let it rise for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or until double. then squash it down and mix it into a ball again, weigh it out, form into balls, slightly oil them and refrigerate over night in a covered container. bring to room temp for an hour or so before using. dont let them get too warm or they will get very mushy. I have used this method with succes using a 65% hydration.

Offline halfprice

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 10:25:33 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I have been mixing the dough kind of similar to what you suggested.  What I may have done wrong was let the dough warm up to long before cooking.  I've been letting it sit out for 2-3 hours prior to opening it and cooking.  I'll try only 1 hour this Sunday.

Any suggestions on combining AP with the 00 to cook at a lower temp???

Jerry

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 10:38:45 AM »
hey no problem... I have no experience mixing flours but if you search around you might be able to find someone who has

Offline Organix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 07:36:34 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I have been mixing the dough kind of similar to what you suggested.  What I may have done wrong was let the dough warm up to long before cooking.  I've been letting it sit out for 2-3 hours prior to opening it and cooking.  I'll try only 1 hour this Sunday.

Any suggestions on combining AP with the 00 to cook at a lower temp???

Jerry

Newbie here looking for answer to the same problem. Difficulty getting my crust to brown with 00 at 550˚.

OP please post results if you have since come upon a solution. Thanks!!

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 09:39:23 PM »
Organix, the OP is using a blackstone oven which is capable of temps a lot higher than 550 degrees, what kind of pizza are you trying to make?

Offline Auralnauts

• What's a pizza anyway?
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 11:15:13 AM »
When I have toppings that can be easily burned on a pizza I make sure to cook the crust with the sauce a bit first, and depending on the topping I will also cook the cheese in there first, and then midway I'll take the pizza out and add the topping.

Why I sometimes do not add the cheese with the crust is because the pie won't look as good and might get too watery when the toppings are over the cheese.
Dough, stretch, sauce, cheese; check.

Offline Organix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
Organix, the OP is using a blackstone oven which is capable of temps a lot higher than 550 degrees, what kind of pizza are you trying to make?

Hi, I'm trying to make a Neapolitan w/ nice crunchy crust. I made some awesome sauce last night from Irish Daveyboy's recipe:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=10106.msg306464#msg306464

Toppings will be fresh mozzarella, pepperonis, and fresh basil. Maybe a few shrooms too! Just regular oven goes to 550 and with stone. Thanks 4 any advice. Oh, I am using starter culture Italian Camaldoli that I have been feeding 1 wk now and doing great so far as I can tell. Has not been in fridge yet. I just hope it will have enough flavor. Tonight will be my 1st attempt using my own starter. Hope I'm not in over my head, lol.  ???

Offline Organix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 02:10:46 PM »
When I have toppings that can be easily burned on a pizza I make sure to cook the crust with the sauce a bit first, and depending on the topping I will also cook the cheese in there first, and then midway I'll take the pizza out and add the topping.

Why I sometimes do not add the cheese with the crust is because the pie won't look as good and might get too watery when the toppings are over the cheese.

Thanks Auralnauts! Sounds like a good plan to me. I will definitely give it a try 2night.  ^^^