Author Topic: Deep dish video  (Read 724 times)

Offline Marty Runik

• I Love Pizza!
Deep dish video
« on: September 22, 2014, 08:32:59 PM »
Anyone see this deep dish pizza video? Really interesting techniques from American test kitchens.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
Re: Deep dish video
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 01:54:32 PM »
Thanks for posting this Marty.  I love ATK for a lot of things, but the recipes and techniques on this forum are better, and ATK has been duped into the cornmeal myth.  I was shocked to see that, actually, since ATK prides itself on its research.  No one puts cornmeal in their dough.  The other points of failure are the long knead, which is also taboo, as is the cooked sauce.  As is the shredded cheese!  It's also stupid that they didn't put sausage on there.

The one good thing is the demonstration of laminating the dough.  Other than that, I am convinced that ATK is trolling us with this video.  There really is no other explanation.  They might as well go for broke and call it a casserole. 

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 03:33:11 PM »
For all the work going into their `puff pastry` dough.......and all the talk about the laminated final product.....the guy even points at the crust at end of vid saying `you can  see all the layers`.........is it my old eyes folks?  I`m not seeing the `flaky layers` on their pie.

like garvey said....everything  else was done wrong.   they did not `research` the making of a chicago dd pizza.   wonder how much that segment cost to produce and who got yelled at the most over it.     :'(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 08:55:26 PM »
I'm with Garvey on this one, except I don't know why they wasted all that time "laminating" the dough. We're not making a friggin' croissant here!
It's DEEP DISH. It's just not that complicated.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 09:06:39 PM »
I'm with Garvey on this one, except I don't know why they wasted all that time "laminating" the dough. We're not making a friggin' croissant here!
It's DEEP DISH. It's just not that complicated.
Garvey said the laminating was the best part of the vid.....did you even read my post dude?   ???

;D :-D

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 09:57:35 PM »
Croissant pie.  I'm telling you though, Giordanos is laminated but not with butter.  Regardless, we got these guys beat big time.  It's not even close.  Their pics below.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:38:54 AM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 09:17:55 PM »
Garvey said the laminating was the best part of the vid.....did you even read my post dude?   ???
 ;D :-D

I was agreeing with everything except the comments about "laminating", Bob.  :D
Sorry, my ADD may have breezed me past your delightful "puff pastry" and other comments, most of which I also agree with.  ^^^
I didn't bother re-watching for the "layers" because:
a) I am ideologically opposed to the concept of making deep dish crust this way,
and
b) I don't know what kind of detail you're going to see from a lo-def youtube video.

I mainly kept my comments brief because I've ranted about this episode a few times, and I had been planning to devote a RDD article completely to tearing apart this abomination of a recipe.   ;D

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 09:25:36 PM »
I was agreeing with everything except the comments about "laminating", Bob.  :D
Sorry, my ADD may have breezed me past your delightful "puff pastry" and other comments, most of which I also agree with.  ^^^
I didn't bother re-watching for the "layers" because:
a) I am ideologically opposed to the concept of making deep dish crust this way,
and
b) I don't know what kind of detail you're going to see from a lo-def youtube video.

I mainly kept my comments brief because I've ranted about this episode a few times, and I had been planning to devote a RDD article completely to tearing apart this abomination of a recipe.   ;D
Well....since you put it that way...... :-[

I don`t think I even know what I was trying to say Ed....that vid was cRaZy!   ;D

Offline Marty Runik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 05:41:55 PM »
Well since I'm a newbie, I made that pie according top that recipe and you guys are right...cornmeal has NO place in any pizza dough! But I understand that corn oil adds more of a buttery fast than olive oil? Can butter be used instead, or is corn oil better for not burning etc?

What I'm looking for is a light, buttery flavored deep dish crust. I'm thinking of trying Randys deep dish recipe next. Can anyone point me to a good corn oil recipe for deep dish here? I saw the one here linked to realdeepdish.com, but 19% corn oil seems like a lot of oil?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 05:44:40 PM by Marty Runik »

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 07:40:35 PM »
Well since I'm a newbie, I made that pie according top that recipe and you guys are right...cornmeal has NO place in any pizza dough! But I understand that corn oil adds more of a buttery fast than olive oil? Can butter be used instead, or is corn oil better for not burning etc?

What I'm looking for is a light, buttery flavored deep dish crust. I'm thinking of trying Randys deep dish recipe next. Can anyone point me to a good corn oil recipe for deep dish here? I saw the one here linked to realdeepdish.com, but 19% corn oil seems like a lot of oil?

Marty, I've used pythonic's recipe as a newbie, and its come out great both times.
So it must be idiot proof.  :-D

You could probably add a little more butter and use less oil, but I like this crust the way it is.

The flour I used is PM Mondako, which I'm discovering is a high quality multi use flour.
Its been great for NY Style and deep dish (and cinnamon rolls) so far.

Charles

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=24708.0

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 07:49:42 PM »
Ed`s `realdeepdish` 19% oil recipe is right inline with how these pizzas are made. 
I`ve made his and it`s good....Nate is highly recommended also.

Offline Marty Runik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 10:33:07 PM »
Thanks again guys! Does anyone know why there are both corn and olive oil in these and other recipes of this type? Why not just use all corn oil since it is mainly where the buttery taste comes from? If you were to substitute butter for the corn and olive oil, would there be a problem with that?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 10:40:22 PM »
Thanks again guys! Does anyone know why there are both corn and olive oil in these and other recipes of this type? Why not just use all corn oil since it is mainly where the buttery taste comes from? If you were to substitute butter for the corn and olive oil, would there be a problem with that?
the water in butter will change the doughs hydration amount.
oil blend is for flavr....i jus use straight corn.

Offline Marty Runik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 12:38:45 AM »
Thanks Bob.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 02:51:02 PM »
Also, different oils have different smoke points.  For example, straight butter might brown/burn too easily (even if you accounted for the hydration differences). 

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »
Also, different oils have different smoke points.  For example, straight butter might brown/burn too easily (even if you accounted for the hydration differences).
The vid showed butter used in a traditional laminated `puff pastry` technique.........not sure how that would bake up/taste at the temp/duration we use on these pies.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 06:23:30 PM »
A quick search of this board shows a lot of favorable talk about butter lamination just a few months ago.  What changed?

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 08:27:05 PM »
A quick search of this board shows a lot of favorable talk about butter lamination just a few months ago.  What changed?

There had been talk about using that method for Stuffed pizza,
for which I haven't been an active participant, mostly because I haven't tried to reproduce a stuffed pizza at home yet.

[puts on the pizza nerd hat] I'd never been a supporter of "lamination" for pizza dough, since it seems like an excessive amount of work for making pizza, and in my mind, doesn't make sense in a restaurant environment to add extra steps in dough preparation, when proper balance of ingredients, kneading, and proofing should suffice. [/pizza nerd hat removed]

I do, however, recommend lamination for cinnamon rolls, which is one of my suggested alternate uses for deep dish dough.  :chef:

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 09:14:02 PM »
For DD pizza I would never bother with trying to make a puff pastry dough/crust.......much less laminate/book fold the traditional dough...always turns out jus fine for me.

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 10:13:35 PM »
I just saw this vid and as I'm watching, I'm thinking about all the things I wouldn't do. Then Garvey summed it all up.

Nate, they should be talking to you.