Author Topic: This is lamination right?  (Read 2669 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: This is lamination right?
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2015, 07:55:07 AM »
The next stuffed pizza I make I will laminate with 3 separate dough balls to mimic what they are doing.  I also think bake time is very important.  I remember watching a video where a Giordano's manager said if their pizza doesn't cook for at least 35 minutes it doesn't taste the same.  My last bake was at 23 mins.  So how can I bake for that long in my oven without burning it up?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2015, 08:02:19 AM »
  An absolute blast man....until Bossman handed Nate his check on Friday!  :o

All hell would break loose then.

I'd definitely be leaving there with a pan and a tub of margarine.   That's for sure.

Nate

Offline pythonic

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2015, 08:07:17 AM »

An owner of a pizza joint in Orland park, il told me that I will never replicate his pizza at home because my home oven is just not hot enough.  He said that my oven is maxed out and struggles to maintain high heat, while his deck oven is close to 1000 degrees.

1000 degree?  What was he making?  Neopolitian?

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2015, 12:13:53 PM »
My last bake was at 23 mins.  So how can I bake for that long in my oven without burning it up?

Whoa, whoa, whoa!  Only 23 minutes?  That's practically Neapolitan!  This is casserole we're talking here.   :D

Seriously, though, we ARE talking casserole.  Turn down the heat and bake longer.  Maybe 400?  What are you doing now?  You need the temp high enough to cook the bread but low enough to not burn said bread while the rest of the gooey, casseroley goodness is achieved.

Offline vic311

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2015, 12:27:20 PM »
Whoa, whoa, whoa!  Only 23 minutes?  That's practically Neapolitan!  This is casserole we're talking here.   :D

Seriously, though, we ARE talking casserole.  Turn down the heat and bake longer.  Maybe 400?  What are you doing now?  You need the temp high enough to cook the bread but low enough to not burn said bread while the rest of the gooey, casseroley goodness is achieved.

I completely agree.  Maybe 425 for 35-40 minutes?

Offline pythonic

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2015, 01:20:06 PM »

I looked back on the last one I made and it was 26 mins at 475 and that was sitting on a screen on top of a stone.  I think on all my prior longer bakes they didn't turn out too well.  The main culprit here is the oven.  I just don't think we have the capability to achieve that crust.  I have a 49/7 doughball that I am making later today.  I will try to do a 35 minute bake at 425 and see what happens.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2015, 02:18:42 PM »
The next stuffed pizza I make I will laminate with 3 separate dough balls to mimic what they are doing.  I also think bake time is very important.  I remember watching a video where a Giordano's manager said if their pizza doesn't cook for at least 35 minutes it doesn't taste the same.  My last bake was at 23 mins.  So how can I bake for that long in my oven without burning it up?

Nate
Loose the stone and turn down the oven.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline toekneemac

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2015, 02:27:37 PM »
1000 degree?  What was he making?  Neopolitian?

Being from Illinois, have you ever heard of S&T Provisions and their pizza setups?  I you have, then you know what kind of pizza this guy was making. The pizzeria in Orland park was called Italian villa pizza on 143 and Lagrange.  It is not Neapolitan pizza, but a thin dough with a cracker rim.  I don't think he cooked at 1000 degrees, but he said it is close. And I don't think it was 800 degrees close, I think he meant that is was definitively hotter than our home ovens.  I think he was in the 500-600 range without the oven struggling.

But I agree, our ovens just aren't strong enough to accomplish pizzeria style pizzas.  We have probably made great doughs before, but we'll never really know without a badass oven.
I know fiords so uses the same dough for both stuffed and thin, just different cook times obviously. And same temp.  We may lose heat when we open our oven doors, where they do not or the temp quickly recovers as opposed to ours.

Offline toekneemac

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2015, 02:34:02 PM »
I looked back on the last one I made and it was 26 mins at 475 and that was sitting on a screen on top of a stone.  I think on all my prior longer bakes they didn't turn out too well.  The main culprit here is the oven.  I just don't think we have the capability to achieve that crust.  I have a 49/7 doughball that I am making later today.  I will try to do a 35 minute bake at 425 and see what happens.

Watch the crust color.  Let that be your indicator of done ness. If it looks like it is burning (a little is ok in my opinion) then it is done.  The insides will definitely be done it is just a matter of not ruining the crust.  Maybe try a 475 oven to begin with to set the crust and then turn it down seconds after you place it in the oven.  Maybe the location in the oven matters. Some say top rack some say lower rack. You know your oven better than us.
I don't yet know if I am a fan of par baking, but I know that giordanos shipped pizzas are par backed to "set" their crust for the home oven.  Maybe that is the trick?

Offline toekneemac

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2015, 02:35:46 PM »
The place I mentioned befor s&t and their pizza set ups, their dough is par baked and ends up very crispy being cooked in the home oven.  That "may" be the trick for us, but, I have not tried that yet.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2015, 02:52:18 PM »
Watch the crust color.  Let that be your indicator of done ness. If it looks like it is burning (a little is ok in my opinion) then it is done.  The insides will definitely be done it is just a matter of not ruining the crust.  Maybe try a 475 oven to begin with to set the crust and then turn it down seconds after you place it in the oven.  Maybe the location in the oven matters. Some say top rack some say lower rack. You know your oven better than us.
I don't yet know if I am a fan of par baking, but I know that giordanos shipped pizzas are par backed to "set" their crust for the home oven.  Maybe that is the trick?

I will give it a shot this afternoon. 

Offline pythonic

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2015, 05:54:58 PM »
So the pizza turned out no different then a 25 minute bake at 475.

pizzapan