Author Topic: Which Pan Should I Use?  (Read 332 times)

Offline SloW8

• Apprentice Pie Man
Which Pan Should I Use?
« on: January 22, 2016, 10:29:43 PM »
I am taking my first shot at Chicago Stuffed Crust pizza tomorrow. Trying a version of Buzz's recipe. 

I have two pans in the kitchen.  A heavy aluminum 9x2.5" pan and a lighter weight aluminum 10x2" pan.   Both have straight sides.

Which will give me the best results?   

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
Re: Which Pan Should I Use?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 01:34:41 AM »
Trying a version of Buzz's recipe. 
Which will give me the best results?

Best results?  Use a recipe written in the last 10 years. 
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30343.0

;D

Just jerkin' yer chain.  Welcome to the forum.  All kidding aside, Pythonic and Pizza Garage's recipes are top notch.   

If you're new to the pizzamaking game, my hardest won lessons would be (1) get a kitchen scale if you don't have one already so that you can use recipes by weight/percentage and not volume, and (2) get to know your oven, because the bake times and temperatures that people list are guidelines at best, since every oven is different.

Good luck and post pics!

Cheers,
Garvey
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 01:41:11 AM by Garvey »

Offline SloW8

• Apprentice Pie Man
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 01:53:25 PM »
Thanks Garvey. So much info, so many different paths. 

I have been reading for 3 days and got so confused as to everyone's theories etc...  I spent a long time reading one thread that was heavily contributed to by someone who had never even had Giordano's but was trying to replicate it.   ::)  He did make some beautiful pies though.

I am going to try this one today and then branch out.   This isn't my first baking or pizza experience but it is my first try at the elusive buttery flakey crust. I will get to weights, measures and baking percentages shortly. 

I am not so worried about an exact duplicate as I am about just making a great tasting pie with similar qualities and tweeking it to be my own. 

Thanks again for the link.   I will start with the latest there and read some more. 

Oh, which pan?   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 01:55:49 PM by SloW8 »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 03:47:41 PM »
I think either pan would work fine.  One of each?  :D

Offline SloW8

• Apprentice Pie Man
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 10:27:54 PM »
I like the way you think.   ;D

I ended up using the 10x2 and it was okay. 

The dough was way too soft.  Definitely going with a newer formulation.  I did the high oil, low knead method and it was just too sloppy.   I could have added more flour but I just wanted a baseline.  Measuring by weight and percentages will definitely get me closer.   

My sauce was too wet and the top was soggy.  I blended a can of Trader Joes plum tomatoes with some spices.  I also panicked and covered the top loosley with a piece of foil about half way through baking.  I thought I was going to burn the crust.   If that would have been off it would have had a better chance and let off the steam.   

I had too much salt in the crust.   Other than that the flavors were decent.  More studying and adjustments coming.   
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:37:11 PM by SloW8 »

Offline SloW8

• Apprentice Pie Man
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 06:14:38 PM »
So I did a second pie with some small tweaks (different sauce, less water in the crust, butter flavored Crisco in the pan, more meat.  This one came out much better but still have a long way to go.  Going to try a new recipe (PizzaGarage Laminated Recipe) for the crust next time.     

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:20:08 PM by SloW8 »

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 09:17:56 PM »
they are looking pretty pro!!!!  nice!!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

Offline mudman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 11:18:48 PM »
they are looking pretty pro!!!!  nice!!!

I agree!!

pizzapan