Author Topic: Transferring Pizza from Peel to Oven  (Read 680 times)

Offline Riccardo39

Transferring Pizza from Peel to Oven
« on: February 26, 2014, 04:34:16 AM »
I've been making pizza for over 10 years, sometimes with great results, sometimes with disasters. One thing I've never perfected is getting the pizza off the peel and into the oven. I often find my dough is quite sticky and it can be impossible to get it off a metal peel. If I use flour or cornmeal the pizza slides more easily, but I end up with lots of smoke from the burning flour on the stone in the oven.

I think I may have to make a wooden peel as I've had better results with wood than metal.

I'd be grateful for any tips. I just hate it when I try to flick the pizza off the peel and the dough stays put but some topping ends up on the stone...

Offline slybarman

Offline DIY Whiz

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Transferring Pizza from Peel to Oven
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 06:40:18 AM »
I have a metal peel and had difficulties too getting the pizza off the peel and onto the stone in my oven too.  After unsuccessfully trying different methods (flour, corn meal, dental floss, blowing air under the pizza....) I tried using parchment paper and had great results.  This is what I continue to use.  I have about an inch sticking out from under the pizza then remove it after about 2 minutes to keep it from burning.  I have my oven at 550 deg. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:48:21 AM by DIY Whiz »
Pete

Offline patnugent

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 11:09:13 AM »
I also use parchment paper.  While I can/have successfully launched pies without it, I like that it takes any chance out of it.  If I had a wall oven and larger stone/steel I would probably skip it, but with a small target to get the pie onto it's really useful.

Offline badbrad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 02:59:46 PM »
Hi,

I just joined the forum so I don't know if I can post links yet. Just last weekend I saw on America's Test Kitchen a very innovative idea called the Super Peel. I personally don't have one because I think it's overpriced. Check it out and make up your own mind.

Offline badbrad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 03:15:29 PM »
Another idea that works well for me is similar to the parchment paper idea. Instead, I prepare my pie on a large sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil. I found if I use vegetable oil spray on the dull side of the foil it's absolutely non-stick. I slide it onto the stone and bake for about 3 minutes. I can then lift up the edge of the pie with my peel, pull out the foil and let it finish baking directly on the stone.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 04:14:32 PM »
Pizza folk, I might suggest that a key to launching a pizza from your peel, wood, metal, etc might be the consistancy, or "feel" of the opened dough. I have found that the texture of the opened dough makes a big difference. I might also suggest that practice, a lot, helps , a lot!
The pie should be able to wiggle  :o , a bit on the launching device. peel. Yes, there are a few tools like parchment paper, and the super peel to try if you like, but there ain't, IMHO, nothing like doing it to your satisfaction, the old fashioned way! ;D

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Riccardo39

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 06:17:47 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Some useful advice there. I had used parchment myself in the past, when I had a conventional oven, but I worried it would catch fire in my new, hotter oven, which reaches 650 F. I'll try it.

I take your point, Mark, about the feel of the dough. But part of the reason I have problems is because I like to get the pizza ready maybe half an hour in advance of putting it in the oven. I know that if I stretch out the pizza, add the toppings and put it in the oven straight away, it generally won't stick. But I'm usually cooking multiple pizzas for a group of people and I like to get them all lined up. Otherwise I won't see my guests until after they've finished their food, because I'll be stuck in the kitchen! When you have a pizza sitting around for half an hour it gets sticky again, especially if you're using a wet dough like Jeff Varasano's.

I know it's frowned upon to leave pizza sitting around for half an hour before putting it in the oven, but I find it makes little difference to the cooked dough. It's just that it's more difficult to get it off the peel.

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 08:00:56 AM »
I use a wooden peel sprinkled with semolina - the semolina acts like little ball bearings and the dough slips off no problems at all as long as the dough does not sit too long on the semolina.  The semolina also supplies no bitter after taste to cooked pizza at high temperature.  There is some minimal smoke after dusting the remaining semolina away after removing cooked pizzas, but that's no bother to me.

I usually put the formed dough onto the wooden peel and prepare the pizza from there - sauce, topping and then cheese - then off it goes.  I have never tested how long I could leave it there, however, the longer its on there the more likely it could stick - which means yuck if it does.

Omid has suggested using a really hardwood like ebony for a long term view of a wooden peel if you go in that direction.

Cheers
Wazza McG
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:19:03 AM by Wazza McG »
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline Yeller

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 08:04:26 AM »
Hi,

I just joined the forum so I don't know if I can post links yet. Just last weekend I saw on America's Test Kitchen a very innovative idea called the Super Peel. I personally don't have one because I think it's overpriced. Check it out and make up your own mind.

Not a good way to launch in a WFO...You'll lose your hand.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 04:21:11 PM »
But part of the reason I have problems is because I like to get the pizza ready maybe half an hour in advance of putting it in the oven. I know that if I stretch out the pizza, add the toppings and put it in the oven straight away, it generally won't stick. But I'm usually cooking multiple pizzas for a group of people and I like to get them all lined up. Otherwise I won't see my guests until after they've finished their food, because I'll be stuck in the kitchen! When you have a pizza sitting around for half an hour it gets sticky again, especially if you're using a wet dough like Jeff Varasano's.

Channel your inner Mario.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 04:24:38 PM by slybarman »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 05:10:34 PM »
If you are going to make it and let it sit, your best bet is pans followed by screens.  Mid-bake you can remove the pan/screen.

pizzapan