Author Topic: teaching others to make pizzas  (Read 775 times)

Offline tomMN

• I Love Pizza!
teaching others to make pizzas
« on: February 26, 2014, 09:28:40 AM »
hi, what's the best way to teach someone to make a pizza, i know hands on is one, but sliding the pie into the oven is the difficult part any suggestions on that issue. thanks tommy

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: teaching others to make pizzas
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:13:08 AM »
hi, what's the best way to teach someone to make a pizza, i know hands on is one, but sliding the pie into the oven is the difficult part any suggestions on that issue. thanks tommy

tommy:  How skilled are you?  Teaching is the hardest thing to do.  One  has to be able to assess their student and plan instruction around that.  If you are asking this question it makes me think you may not be that skilled at pizza?  No insult intended.   Make sure the dough is well floured and use semolina to dust the peel.  That is the most slide for the buck with launching flours.   Walter

PS:   Norma, who posts here, owns a shop in PA.  You should check it out. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:16:23 AM by waltertore »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 12:56:44 PM »
 walter you are going to be challenged this weekend :-D

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 01:19:53 PM »
walter you are going to be challenged this weekend :-D

Larry:  You are the man!  I am impressed with your setup and wonder if I can teach you anything.  I am going to have some- 2-3 day old dough, some same day dough made with a flour/yeast/water starter from the day before that we will put together, some french bread that is in the fridge fermenting,  scratch make some french and sourdough breads,  and make/ball some pizza dough that we can use later in the week.  I am excited to meet you.  One of the chef's at Denison Univ says he knows your shop well and gave it high praise.  He is employed by Bon Appetit and they know good food!  Walter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »

There is only one way to learn how to make pizza, and there will be some spectacular failures along the way. You can't worry about it happening or when it happens.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 11:02:05 PM »
tomMN,

Since you addressed your post to Tom Lehmann, you might find Tom's post on this subject at the PMQ Think Tank of interest: http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6410&hilit=#p41080

Peter

Offline tomMN

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 09:44:59 AM »
thank you all for all your input. i think my problem is i dont want to waste while i'm teaching, if the pizza is screwed up while we are making it we have to eat it which isn't a bad thing but it starts to cost money and time. thank you all again for your input. tommy

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 11:26:09 PM »
thank you all for all your input. i think my problem is i dont want to waste while i'm teaching, if the pizza is screwed up while we are making it we have to eat it which isn't a bad thing but it starts to cost money and time. thank you all again for your input. tommy

I doesn't cost anywhere near as much as serving sub-standard pies. No serious pizzeria thinks that way. If you can't afford to train your employees, you might not need to be in the pizza business.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline tomMN

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 09:06:04 AM »
it's not so much the cost but the fact i don't like to WASTE FOOD! i was taught NOT TO WASTE FOOD! I'm setting up an appointment with the local volunteer firemen to serve them the pizza while they are training!   please don't waste food. thank you for your input, when in pa. stop by my restaurant and have the best slice of PIZZA you ever put in your mouth! tommy

Offline bradtri

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 11:20:19 AM »
What I've done with people is have them practice shaking the peel with just the stretched dough on the peel and before any toppings are added.  Once they get the hang of shaking with just the dough, then the first step is a "lightly" dressed pizza without any ingredients that move around too easy (like pepperoni).

Another idea would be to use one pizza over and over on a cold stone so that one could get the practice repetitions in without dealing with the hot stone.  I'd rather sacrifice one pizza with repeated practice on a cold stone than lose 4 out of 5 with failures launching to a hot stone.

Offline tomMN

• I Love Pizza!
Re: teaching others to make pizzas success
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 10:08:07 AM »
hi every one, i have success! after reading every ones respond to my question and after especially reading bradtri's respond i put it all together and came up with the perfect solution and what to share!. to teach someone to launch a pizza, i  have them bang out the 16" pizza put it on a 20" peel then have them slide it to another 20" peel back and forth all day long if necessary then finally into the oven to bake. this works perfectly for me, and guess what, NO WASTE! and the pizza maker is proud that every one is enjoying his pizza as a employee meal.once again THANK YOU ALL for your input and help! tommy

Offline bradtri

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 02:13:39 PM »
Tom,
    Glad you were able to come up with a good solution.  Sometimes we have to use your "peel to peel" transfer technique with a live pizza.  We always do a test shake before heading to the hot stone to ensure that the pizza is moving freely.  If not, we flour a second peel and do a "hand-assisted" transfer to the second peel.  The pizza usually moves freely on the second peel and we then cook it.