Author Topic: Baking Steel customer service  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Baking Steel customer service
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 08:02:12 AM »
Scott,

I realize that at times words and their meanings can be such pesky things but, like Craig, when you used the word "fleeced", especially after mentioning the much higher prices that Andris charges, and also knowing that you are a very cost conscious consumer, I assumed that you were referring to price fleecing.

However, now that I see your entire response, you will no doubt help many of our members who are considering purchasing a steel plate, irrespective of its price. Maybe you can start a new thread covering all aspects of the purchase and use of a steel plate, along the lines of your last post but perhaps supplemented with the metal type, ways of finding suppliers, etc. , so that we can refer members to that thread when questions arise regarding the purchase or use of a steel plate. If complete enough, I could also make the thread a sticky.

Peter

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 08:56:04 AM »
Scott,
However, now that I see your entire response, you will no doubt help many of our members who are considering purchasing a steel plate, irrespective of its price. Maybe you can start a new thread covering all aspects of the purchase and use of a steel plate, along the lines of your last post but perhaps supplemented with the metal type, ways of finding suppliers, etc. , so that we can refer members to that thread when questions arise regarding the purchase or use of a steel plate. If complete enough, I could also make the thread a sticky.
Peter
Good suggestion Peter.  A Steel Sticky could be especially helpful.  Scott, you might add your search method for local steel sources since you always come up with such a long list, it would help others like me learn how to fish.
Dave

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 10:12:38 AM »
I really did not want to start an argument between 2 very respected members with this thread  :(
I come from a sales background, and I know from past experience most people will only tell about a negative experience and not the positive one, so I just wanted to share my experience. My intent was not to cause any kind of argument, I apologize if this thread caused any hard feelings between 2 members  :(
Sam

scott123

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 10:41:05 AM »
Sam, Craig and I are friends. When we disagree, we don't mince words.  We don't prevaricate.  There's no hard feelings and nothing for you to apologize for.

Peter, I've started an outline and will post it by end of day today to see if anyone has any sections they'd like to add.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 10:48:45 AM »
I find that hard to fathom......300 bucks from a local scrap yard? You weren't calling about the gold plated ones were you?

Bob

Bob,

I was calling local steel shops to ask if they could cut a 1/4" steel plate on particular metal (forgot which type now, but food grade) and they were all quoting $250+.  I inquired why so much, and they stated that to do a single project like that would be pricey, since they tend to work in large quantity bulk projects.  Maybe they were trying to fleece ME on price.  ;)  I called four shops that were driveable, and the price range was 250-400, if I remember correctly.  Baking Steel was a great price relative to getting a custom cut... but I may have called the wrong folks then.  (I was doing this research before Baking Steel came out, and solely based on forum talk here and Modernist Cuisine's recommendation at the time).

Regardless, I'm fairly happy with my Baking Steel as a tool.  My oven hits 550, and I do have a broiler, so in those aspects, I lucked out.  Now that I have a WFO though, it's hard going back to using a the steel anymore...

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 11:03:39 AM »
Bob,

I was calling local steel shops to ask if they could cut a 1/4" steel plate on particular metal (forgot which type now, but food grade) and they were all quoting $250+.  I inquired why so much, and they stated that to do a single project like that would be pricey, since they tend to work in large quantity bulk projects.  Maybe they were trying to fleece ME on price.  ;)  I called four shops that were driveable, and the price range was 250-400, if I remember correctly.  Baking Steel was a great price relative to getting a custom cut... but I may have called the wrong folks then.  (I was doing this research before Baking Steel came out, and solely based on forum talk here and Modernist Cuisine's recommendation at the time).

Regardless, I'm fairly happy with my Baking Steel as a tool.  My oven hits 550, and I do have a broiler, so in those aspects, I lucked out.  Now that I have a WFO though, it's hard going back to using a the steel anymore...
I'm sorry Derrick...forgot that you are in Chicago. I thought I had told Uncle Vinnie to stop with the fleecing of my Pizza Pals.  ;D

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Seven

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 12:10:30 PM »
...I also explained to him that I have a lip on my oven rack that will prevent the bigger size steel from sliding all the way in, and he said he will make something for me to elevate the steel, he has tons of scrap steel and will include it in the box...

Rinoxxx, my oven racks also have a lip in the back that prevents them from being pulled all the way out by mistake but I was able to flip the rack over and slide it back in. Doing this enabled me to get a large plate, aluminum in my case, in excess of 18 inches square. I actually may have been able to go slightly bigger. Are you not able to flip your racks over?

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »
Rinoxxx, my oven racks also have a lip in the back that prevents them from being pulled all the way out by mistake but I was able to flip the rack over and slide it back in. Doing this enabled me to get a large plate, aluminum in my case, in excess of 18 inches square. I actually may have been able to go slightly bigger. Are you not able to flip your racks over?
Yeah I tried my rack won't slide in if I flip it. Really dumb design. My oven is actually 19" deep, but that stupid lip stops anything from sliding past 15".
Sam

scott123

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 10:07:01 PM »
My oven is actually 19" deep, but that stupid lip stops anything from sliding past 15".

It sounds like the extra space might be there to allow for a convection fan. Do you have a convection fan, and, if so, are you incorporating it into your measurements?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 10:33:39 PM »
Sam, Craig and I are friends. When we disagree, we don't mince words.  We don't prevaricate.  There's no hard feelings and nothing for you to apologize for.

^^^
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2014, 10:43:43 PM »
I'm still not sure I agree that "fleeced" is the right word, but I understand where you are coming from.

Craig, with your intellect and bs-meter to end all bs-meters, I'm dumbfounded you'd say something so incredibly misguided.  Both here and on Slice, vinegar soaks are the well established method of cleaning steel- vinegar removes the mill scale and rust and takes the steel down to the bare metal. Bare steel is perfectly safe.  I can see Andris and Kenji spreading this kind of ridiculous FUD, but I expect a higher level of accountability from you.

Give me a little credit please.  :'(  I was not suggesting anything about steel plate note being safe but rather commenting that there are people who don't know, don't want to worry about it, and will spend more just so they don't have to.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2014, 10:44:02 PM »
It sounds like the extra space might be there to allow for a convection fan. Do you have a convection fan, and, if so, are you incorporating it into your measurements?
I don't have convection on this oven, which is why I don't understand their restriction. This is my oven http://www.frigidaire.com/Kitchen-Appliances/Ranges/Gas-Range/FGGF3030PF/
Sam

Offline Seven

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 09:28:18 AM »
Yeah I tried my rack won't slide in if I flip it. Really dumb design. My oven is actually 19" deep, but that stupid lip stops anything from sliding past 15".

Thanks. In my oven, I need to flip the racks twice, once in the horizontal plane and once in the vertical plane if that makes sense. So the top back of the rack ends up in the bottom front...the "lip" is now up front and facing downwards. I'll try to take some pics this weekend.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 12:55:03 PM »

Give me a little credit please.  :'(  I was not suggesting anything about steel plate note being safe but rather commenting that there are people who don't know, don't want to worry about it, and will spend more just so they don't have to.

need hand in air emoticon,   that was part of the reasoning behind my baking steel purchase, the other being that it wouldn't have happened if I needed to go out and find it, clean it , etc.  I knew I was paying more, accepted it and and  even posted about it.   

I agree with the original post and Baking Steel/Andris has great customer service. 

Offline heuristicist

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 12:12:47 PM »
Steel is also a complete waste of time for anyone with an oven that can hit 600.

I can't say that I agree with this. My oven is relatively lacking in top heat (I just have a standard broiler, not a super-crazy-awesome one), and so doesn't produce top-leoparding, but it certainly cooks all the way through and give me some light colour on top. I get my steel reading at 650-700*F using the frozen paper towel trick. 60s bakes are doable, 90s easy.

That's not to say that there mightn't be a better option than steel for someone looking for NY style and has an oven that can hit 600 without any futzing around. But in my case, the steel seems to be working well to get my bakes into NP range, AIUI.