Author Topic: High Altitude Oven Spring: Colorado Pizza  (Read 435 times)

Offline tdub154420

High Altitude Oven Spring: Colorado Pizza
« on: February 28, 2014, 06:15:36 PM »
Hey guys, 

I'm making this thread looking to master the oven spring in dough and to also see if anybody has any dough tips for high altitudes. 

In my search for the perfect oven spring I consulted Norma who gave me a ton of help and a wealth of knowledge but the variables of my pizza dough were so varied that I believe that my inquiry calls for a thread. 

I live in Denver and use Conagra Mills bread flour from Costco.  I have been falling in line within the typical suggested Lehmann percentages: 

Flour (100)   
Water (63)   
IDY (0.5)   
Kosher Salt (2)    
Sugar (1)    
Oil (1.5)    

I've been doing a 24 hour cold ferment and cooking in an LG convection oven (top heated) on baking tiles on the middle rack.  I've been getting OK oven spring, but nothing truly amazing.  I don't have any pictures readily available but don't reference my photo, that pizza was from a year and a half ago before I was using percentages so I that was me getting lucky.  That's the kind of oven spring I want to achieve on a regular basis. 

Anyway, I wanted to reach out and see what else I can do given my flour type and my altitude to get the most for my oven spring and my pizza as a whole. 

Thanks everybody!  :chef:  :pizza:

- Trevor

Offline parallei

Re: High Altitude Oven Spring: Colorado Pizza
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 07:21:35 PM »
and to also see if anybody has any dough tips for high altitudes.

I've been doing pizza and bread here in Denver for quite awhile.  Your recipe looks like something I would use without any concerns.  To be honest, I've never adjusted yeast or starter quantities for altitude (though I do adjust for chemically leaved quick breads, cakes and the like).  There may be a quicker fermentation rise associated with altitude but that hasn't been an issue for me, particularly with cold fermentations.  I still find it necessary to let refrigerated dough balls to come to room temp for a minimum of 2 hours.  It is drier up here, as you know.  So, sometimes I find myself adding a bit more water.

My experience has indicated that the following are important when it comes to a good oven spring:

-  Hydration (63% has worked for me)
- High stone temperature and baking right on the stone
- Gentle mixing and dough handing

Good luck!

pizzapan