Author Topic: Calabro Cheeses  (Read 250 times)

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
Calabro Cheeses
« on: March 01, 2014, 08:49:45 AM »
So, the other day I decided to try the Calabro WM mozzarella I bought from stop & shop. I purchased an 8oz block just to try. As I was opening it I noticed it was very soft and began wondering if this was going to be good for pizza, so I looked to the package and realized it was a fresh mozzarella. Well to my disappointment it did not melt well, and was watery like fresh mozzarella is supposed to be. So yesterday, I stopped by Omaha beef in Danbury Ct to check out the Calabro cheese they sold... It was a totally different cheese, he carries the low moisture WM Mozzarella which I bought and will be trying today. $3.55/lb
So basically it seems you really can't get good pizza cheese at your local supermarket, well at least I can't find any for my preference.
Below you see the 8 oz block from stop&shop and then the  5 lb block from Omaha beef.  Different labels because it's different cheese lol

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
Re: Calabro Cheeses
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 09:14:01 PM »
Well I tried the Calabro low moisture mozzarella this evening, what a difference between the two cheese types! This cheese will be my "go to" cheese from now on. It is a bit out of the way for me to get, but it is worth it. It melts very nicely, not too greasy with just the right amount of salt. I thought I would post some feedback in case someone is looking into getting some.