Author Topic: Five pies  (Read 310 times)

Offline Musky

Five pies
« on: March 01, 2014, 09:58:15 PM »
Made some pizzas today for the first time since Christmas Eve.  I've been messing around making bread with mixed success.  Did okay today with the pies.  The first two used Garvey's thin crust formula.  The next three were NY.  I think they were the best NY crusts I've made.  Especially the shrimp.  Not sure why that turned out so well, but it was great.

Note the live action shots.

Kevin

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Five pies
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 10:28:39 PM »
Kevin,

Gorgeous pies.  I'd be really proud of those ones.  Love that 2nd pie.  What kind of flour you using for your NY and how long was the bake?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 10:47:23 PM »
Wow, those pizzas look great!  Almost like they came out of a coal fired oven. Well done, Musky! 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 10:48:21 PM »
Kevin,

I agree.  All of your pies look very tasty!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Musky

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 11:02:54 PM »
Kevin,

Gorgeous pies.  I'd be really proud of those ones.  Love that 2nd pie.  What kind of flour you using for your NY and how long was the bake?

Nate

You know, during the Fall leading up to my family Christmas Eve pizza feast, I did all my NY style trial and error with KASL and then KABF.  I've been experimenting baking bread with Better for Bread.  That's what I used for these and the dough was so much better.  A little more substance to it or something.  I know to be authentic I should be using some bromated type of flour, but I'm not that concerned.  These were really good, and the crust on that shrimp pizza, which was the last one I baked, was just what I want in a pizza.  I stupidly didn't take an upskirt or crumb shot.  But it has an open crumb, a crispy but not leathery rim, and was thin and crispy with a little bite.  I bake for 6 to 7 minutes.  I set my gas Wolf range between 500 and the broiler setting.  Rack second down from the top.  I do 3.5 minutes, then turn on the infrared broiler for 2.5 to 4.  Once that thing gets cranked in about a minute I keep my on it.  Today they were 6 to 6.5.  The shrimp cooked in 6.  The broiler in my oven is a beast.

Three days in the fridge, then 3 to 3.5 hours on the counter before baking.

I use Cerasota AP for the thin crusts.

Kevin

Offline Musky

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 11:05:10 PM »
Oh, and I use a stone.  I just cool the pies on the screen in the pictures.

Kevin

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 10:03:43 AM »
I agree with the others - very nice looking pies. I really like that cheese pie (031.jpg)
Pizza is not bread.