Author Topic: New York Style Pizzeria in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia  (Read 7220 times)

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Supporting Member
  • If you learn how to listen, everyone is a guru
Re: New York Style Pizzeria in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2014, 07:26:38 PM »
Hey Martin,

Sounds like a nice setup!  I'll have to check it out, once I figure out where Sungai Buloh is!

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Supporting Member
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2014, 03:13:27 AM »
Well, we've been officially open for 3 months (soft opening for dinner only April 15, open for lunch and dinner May 1) and things are going great.  The press has been great, we have a lot of repeat customers and no shortage of new customers in this city of 7 million.

We started doing delivery about 3 weeks ago, with no advertising and it's now starting to pick up - accounting for 7% of our daily sales.  We're doing about 25% takeout, with the vast majority of sales, 68% being sit-down business.

We're actively searching for a second location, which we'd like to open by October 1, 2014.  We've already committed to a mall space - in Mid-Valley, which is the 9th busiest mall in the world - foot traffic is unbelievable there.  That space will be ready on April 1, 2015, when the McDonald's moves to a larger location.

I've done a fresh round of hiring and am training staff in anticipation of opening the second shop.

So far, we have meet and exceeded every goal set before we opened.  I usually take 1 day off a week and work 11-12 hours the other 6 days.  Haven't had a day off in two weeks, so next week I'm going to Bangkok for 3 nights.  Only 2 hours away and $100 r/t.

So far, so good!

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2014, 11:18:34 AM »
Great news Andrew! Sounds like business is booming!

Snap a pic or two of the pies for us to  :drool: over  ;)
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Supporting Member
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2014, 06:29:05 AM »
Well, we opened our first store on April 15, 2014 and tomorrow we'll sign a buyout/new lease on our second store.  The lease will begin October 1, and our target opening will be November 1.  We actually have another store lease signed - but the takeover date isn't until April 1, 2015.  Why so long?  Because it's in a mall that's listed as the ninth busiest in the world and it takes that long to get a space there - and that's if you know someone.

This second location is hard to describe - it's on the outside of a big mall - but technically not part of it.  We're taking over a Taiwanese Tea & Pork Chop Shop (Gee - wonder why they're going under  :-\) and it was just a question of coming up with a fair buyout figure.

Going in there tomorrow with a tape measure and I'll be working on the kitchen layout.  We won't be doing any prep there - we'll be doing all of the prep in our first store overnights.  We also have a big employee house that we'll be using part of as a warehouse with refrigeration and we're purchasing a refrigerated box truck.

Exciting times!

Offline kdefay

« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2014, 09:48:59 PM »
I wish I had your problems to deal with.  On one hand, opening in a small city gave us a low risk way to learn how to do a pizza business.  On the other, the growth potential here is extremely limited.  We've considered selling the business and brand and moving to bigger market now that we know what we are doing.  The thought of living in a city like Bangkok isn't very appealing to us, but the business opportunities there are enormous.

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Supporting Member
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2014, 05:44:24 AM »
We probably have very different goals.  I guarantee you quality-of-life does not figure into any of our decision-making - it's all about growing the business while maintaining a high quality product.  If you really wanted to grow, you'd take your pizza experience to Bangkok and make bank down there.  As far as I know, there's only one NY style place (Ronny's NY Pizza) and that's way down on Soi 4 off Sukhumvit - so you know who their target audience is.  Plus, Ronnie isn't there anymore - it's run by some Australian guy who is not getting good reviews.

Open a shop in Bangkok and you'd kill it - but it would bring about a whole new set of problems.

So really, your choice: more money - or good quality-of-life.  As the Thai bar girls say: "up to you".

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Supporting Member
New York Style Pizzeria in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2014, 01:30:28 PM »
Here's our pie of the month for September:  Cheeseburger &. Fries!

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »
Those mini burgers made me laugh, very creative!
Jeff

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2014, 04:30:45 PM »
 ^^^