Author Topic: New mixer questions  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Lido

• Mulberry Street is my favorite.
New mixer questions
« on: April 16, 2006, 04:12:21 PM »
I'm considering getting a mixer to replace the bread machine that I've been using to make my dough with.  The bread machine does ok, but it seems to paddle the dough more than knead it.  I usually make two 14" pizzas which takes about 3 1/2 cups of dough.  Can the KPM90 KitchenAid they sell at Target etc handle this or do I need to get something bigger.  I'm already feeling extravagant spending $200 on a mixer, but I don't want to get something that won't work.  Thanks.
- Lido

Offline fliplap

• Where can I get Harpoon Ale out west?
    • AZBMW.org
Re: New mixer questions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 07:16:32 PM »
I'm considering getting a mixer to replace the bread machine that I've been using to make my dough with.  The bread machine does ok, but it seems to paddle the dough more than knead it.  I usually make two 14" pizzas which takes about 3 1/2 cups of dough.  Can the KPM90 KitchenAid they sell at Target etc handle this or do I need to get something bigger.  I'm already feeling extravagant spending $200 on a mixer, but I don't want to get something that won't work.  Thanks.

The KSM90 from target with its 300 watt motor should be able to handle the amount of dough you're making just fine. The great thing about a kitchenaid mixer, however, is that you'll have it forever. I know $200 might seem like a lot now, but when you spread it over the decade+ of useful life, its easier to justify. Taking that that into account, you might consider purchasing one of the slightly more powerful models. I have a 475 watt from costco, $269. Comes with a 5qt high side bowl, paddle, wisk, as well as the power kneed spiral dough hook which people seem to agree does a better job at really kneeding the dough than the traditional hook that comes with the lower end models.

You'll use it for all sorts of things too, not just pizza dough. I make my own whipped cream with it. Think cake batters, cookie dough even meatloaf.

Costco model: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=10043022

Edit: One thing to consider with the Costco one is that it uses the bowl lift system, which means its slightly taller than the tilt head models. If you have really low cabinets it might not fit under them on your counter. Might wanna measure :-)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 07:38:58 PM »
Lido,

I agree with everything that fliplap has said. I am familiar with the KA model you are referring to and it will do the job for the amount of dough you are considering. However, I agree with fliplap that if you can move up a few notches you are unlikely to regret it. You might even check out eBay, where you will often find new units, along with refurbished units, at reasonable prices. You will, of course, have to pay shipping charges but they shouldn't be a great deal more than what you may have to pay in sales taxes. You might even take a look on eBay at the Professional Series 600 models (but not the 6-qt.) that some of our members have.

Peter

Offline Lido

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 09:02:21 PM »
Thanks guys.  I was thinking of spending more and getting either the Viking from Amazon or one of the higher watt KA's, but my cabinet is only 14 inches above my counter so those probably wouldn't fit.  I'll get the one from Target and see if it kneads ok and if not, try one from Costco or ebay.
- Lido

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 11:51:19 PM »
I am unsure what style you are making, but if you are doing an autolyse, I would recommend a very wet initial need.  Check out Jeff's site http://www.think2020.com/jv/recipe.htm and my mixing technique here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2707.msg23707.html#msg23707.

I only have a 350 W 5 qt KA, but if you mix your dough very wet and then add rest of flour the mixer should handle it.  PLEASE keep in mind that $300 goes along way on a KA mixer and you should consider a better mixer if you can comfortably afford it.

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline Lido

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 01:56:02 AM »
Thanks.  I did look at Jeff's site and his pizza looks great.  I just wish my oven would get that hot.  When is someone going to come up with a home size gas pizza oven that goes up to 800?  Probably never.  Anyway, back to the mixer.  I could spend more, but looking on ebay it seems like you can get any model for less than $200 if you're willing to take a remanufactured one.  I thought the KSM90 looked like the best buy, but there is the 450 watt 5 Q model.  All I really care about is that it will knead the dough and last a long time (and hopefully not have the dough sticking to the hook rather than mixing since that's what my breadmaker does and the whole point of getting a mixer was to have more uniformly mixed dough).
- Lido

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 07:34:33 AM »
Hi Lido,

Barry here in Johannesburg, South Africa.

You wrote.... "I just wish my oven would get that hot.  When is someone going to come up with a home size gas pizza oven that goes up to 800?  Probably never."         

My neighbours are Pappa'z Pizza Oven's, and they produce a fantastic gas oven for home. I have one and I heat my oven to 850 deg F in 15 minutes. I can cook 2 X 14" pies at the same time and thay are done in less that 2 minutes ! This model costs about US$ 600 complete.

They also have a combo gas/wood unit that would please the purists - that's my next Christmas present .

You can view their products at the following web site: http://www.pizzaoven.co.za/

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 11:15:46 AM »
All I really care about is that it will knead the dough and last a long time (and hopefully not have the dough sticking to the hook rather than mixing since that's what my breadmaker does and the whole point of getting a mixer was to have more uniformly mixed dough).

Lido,

When mixing wet, the dough does not climb the hook.  At the end of the knead when all the flour is added the dough will climb, but 90% the work was done during autolyze and wet knead.  I really prefer the paddle for the wet knead because it seems to get more contact than the hook.  I was at Jeff's place a few weeks ago and he used his KA 4 qt to may 1 kg of dough with good results.

TM

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 11:55:15 AM »
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 12:16:46 PM »
I posted last month about my latest purchase...a Kitchenaid Accolade 400-watt metal gear mixer. My old KSM90 died, I have lots of attachments but I liked and needed the tilt head rather than the taller lift bowl models. The Accolade is being discontinued and can be found for $200 or less with smart shopping. Other than being a little noisier than the Artisan (metal gears), it seems a no-brainer to get it over the Artisan. So far very pleased with it.

Offline Lido

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 02:05:31 PM »
Those ovens look great, but I was thinking more of a home oven replacement than something like a barbecue that can be wheeled around, needs to be lit by hand etc.

The hobart would be cool, but pretty big and pricey.

Do metal gears matter?  What was it that failed on your KSM90?
- Lido

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 04:22:49 PM »
Yes, it was the gears that broke on mine. It was 8 years old but had seen relatively light use. A couple of batches of pizza dough and it just couldn't handle it.

I had the KSM90. If I wanted to stay with a tilt-head it was either that (300W), the current KSM150 Artisan model (1/2 qt bigger bowl and 325 W I think), or the 5 qt Accolade (400W with metal gears) and prices were pretty similar (I actually got the Accolade fr less than what some places wanted for the Artisan). Since I intend to make pizzqa dough regularly, it was a no-brainer to me and well worth searching out the Accolade. Hopefully my instincts and research will pay off.

Offline hungry one

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 10:40:22 PM »
KA  doesnt cut it if you are mixing 3 doughs 16 inch will burn out  even at 60 moisture.Be careful armeture is intended to overheat so you buy a new one and you have to buy parts in little pieces.find a repairman and pay his price ,more than NEW.

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 11:02:32 PM »
KA  doesnt cut it if you are mixing 3 doughs 16 inch will burn out  even at 60 moisture.

I would estimate that is 1.5-1.8 kg of dough.  Yea that will probably burn it out.  It is all about how frugal you are and how many pizza parties you host.  The KA is not a volume producer.  If you have 2 adults and 2 teenagers you may want to consider a bigger mixer.  If you really want to be thrifty, get the cheapest, biggest, and highest wattage KA you can get.

Be careful armeture is intended to overheat

Did you get this from the KA forum?  What does that really mean?

TM

Offline Lido

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 11:58:17 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I will look into one of those.  They seem to have a lot of them on ebay.
- Lido

Offline KAidVerne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2006, 11:13:25 AM »
Tonymark,  I'm not sure what is meant by "armature intended to overheat" either.  Let me describe what our product does.

The current "classic" tilt head models (K45, KSM75, KSM90, KSM150) and the classic K5 bowl lift model have NO thermal protection device in them.  Therefor, if overused, they will just keep heating up until the varnish insulation on the motor wiring begins to degrade, or smoke.  For 70 years, our customers have learned by smell and touch (hot housing) when they have overused the mixer.

Our newer generation models (Tilt Head Accolade KN15E1X) and now all bowl lift models (except for the some stores that still carry the older K5) all have built-in thermal protection for the motor.  If the mixer is overused, the thermal protector will trip and cut off the electricity.  After it cools down, it will automatically reset, and you are up and running again, with no motor damage.

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2006, 02:39:02 PM »
KAidVerne,

I didn't state  that.  Reread and see that "hungry one" made that statement.  I love my K5SS and it can handle 1.2 kg of dough just fine.

TM

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2006, 06:10:05 PM »
Hi Verne,

Thanks for posting here...one of the resaons I stuck with KA after having my KSM90 die is their customer service.

Maybe you can answer a question...why are they discontinuing the Accolade in favor of keeping the seemingly inferior Artisan? Something new coming to replace the Accolade?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2006, 09:24:45 PM »
one of the resaons I stuck with KA after having my KSM90 die is their customer service.

You're having better experience than I am with their customer service. The little black knob on my Artisan that holds the attachments in place cracked. I called customer service and was on hold for too long. So I filled in their email support form and have been waiting over a week for a reply. I'll try calling again on Monday.

Bill/SFNM

Offline KAidVerne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 10:55:28 AM »
Bill,  please try calling our customer service again.  The majority of people have excellent experiences, and you may have just hit a bad time from a call volume standpoint.

Tony, Accolade, while certainly having some better features, just did not have ENOUGH different to justify having it compete with Artisan in the market place.  And yes, we are always evaluating "what's next" in terms of new models.

pizzapan