Author Topic: River City Wood Fire (Richmond, VA)  (Read 866 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
River City Wood Fire (Richmond, VA)
« on: March 02, 2014, 08:22:51 AM »
I met up with member JoeG this weekend. Joe runs a mobile WFO operation here in Richmond (http://www.rivercitywoodfire.com).

It was great to meet Joe and talk pizza. He's new to the business, about 4 months now, but his pizzas are great! Some of the best in Richmond, IMHO.

Here are some photos that I took during my brief visit.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 08:24:39 AM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: River City Wood Fire
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 08:23:54 AM »
More shots
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: River City Wood Fire (Richmond, VA)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 08:25:15 AM »
pizzas look great!! i love his set up. using the rail for refrigeration and a marble pizza making area.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 08:45:36 AM »
and a Forno Bravo Oven ! Pizzas look god yes and set up Looks similar to Flirting with Fire
I use a full 24" prep table and stand behind for the silver king. Lets get him on the mobile forums
John 
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 09:11:09 AM »
Yes, a Forno Bravo... very nice setup! He's going to be catering at a nearby winery soon, so I'll try to get some better photos.

The good news is that Joe lives about 20 minutes from my house... He said he'd be happy to park that oven in my driveway when he's not using it!   ;D

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 09:21:18 AM »
Here's one last shot showing his mobile WFO a little better.

It was a chilly day and he was serving up pizza at the Midnight Brewery, so he had the trailer set up under a canopy at the back of the building.

Offline JoeG

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 10:11:03 AM »
pizzas look great!! i love his set up. using the rail for refrigeration and a marble pizza making area.

Za man the slab is actually granite. We got a great deal on it. The trick is to go to a commercial granite supply house, not a residential supply house. The residential charge over a couple hundred bucks for a small piece polished on all sides. The commercial granite companies dispose of pieces that small so they value them less. We paid 100.00 for that piece (13x45-3/4 thick) polished on top and 4 sides. It's a really nice looking piece. Of course we got most of our peels from JConk007! ;)
I love making WF pizza! http://www.rivercitywoodfire.com

Offline JoeG

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 10:13:18 AM »
A big shout out to Steve for coming out and shooting the pics! I think we gave him the "I need my own WFO" bug! I also need to mention that none of this would be possible without my good friend and business partner Will Johnson. He's the tall, bald, handsome devil (ladies?) in the pics. He's joining the site soon.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:36:56 AM by JoeG »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 09:59:24 PM »
Hey Joe ! Thanks for the Kudos! I await the fork mixer order  ;)
Trailer looks great ! Hows the oven  cooking for you ? do you use the screens on all pies ?  You can can table covers for about $8 bucks in various colorss that give you a professional look for minimal $$
Have fun!!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JoeG

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 11:45:56 AM »
Hey Joe ! Thanks for the Kudos! I await the fork mixer order  ;)
Trailer looks great ! Hows the oven  cooking for you ? do you use the screens on all pies ?  You can can table covers for about $8 bucks in various colorss that give you a professional look for minimal $$
Have fun!!
John

We only use screens when the oven is super hot and we're just making a few at a time.
We have table covers. Those just shrunk in the wash for some reason. Going to replace them before the next event.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:48:27 AM by JoeG »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 05:10:09 PM »
Pizza and setup look great.

I lived 1/2 hour from Richmond 10 years ago (only for 15 months), it was lack of finding pizza that I was happy with that landed me on this forum.... 

Offline JoeG

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 09:51:27 AM »
Pizza and setup look great.

I lived 1/2 hour from Richmond 10 years ago (only for 15 months), it was lack of finding pizza that I was happy with that landed me on this forum....

I'll bet you've found plenty of good Za spots in Connecticut! If not say so and myself and a multitude of others on here will give you a list of them. There are a few good mobile operators up there too.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 08:15:49 AM »
I'll bet you've found plenty of good Za spots in Connecticut! If not say so and myself and a multitude of others on here will give you a list of them. There are a few good mobile operators up there too.

I have found them!  During the summer I was lucky enough to do a pizza crawl to a few of them with several members from here also which was a lot of fun. 

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 10:44:20 AM »
joe i like your stt up.the use of the oven to heat your space is a great idea.what style of pizza are you doing?looks like a seasoned pizza sauce and multiple types of cheeses. your pies look really good!!!!
 before you buy table coverings check out americo.they have some beautiful styles and it is heavy duty material. not cheap but it last a long time. i think it is around 300.00 a roll buy it will cover a lot of tables.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 10:48:10 AM »
 joe, i looked at your website and i now understand your style!!! sorry i was being lazy!

Offline JoeG

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 12:27:51 PM »
joe, i looked at your website and i now understand your style!!! sorry i was being lazy!

No sweat Zaman! Besides, I'm not really sure what my style is any way. I'm thinking wood fired pizza Americana? It sounds as good as any. No traditions. I don't really adhere to anything other than it goes in the oven to cooked next to a fire.

pizzapan