Author Topic: Reheating Pizza with a Waffle Iron  (Read 453 times)

Offline bradtri

Reheating Pizza with a Waffle Iron
« on: March 02, 2014, 05:51:54 PM »
Happened to see this on TV the other night and gave it a try.   Works surprisingly well.  The pizza was leftover from Old Chicago and was a little bit thicker crust than what I make at home.  We cut the wedges in half and stacked them with the fillings to the inside.  Nice crispiness on the crust and a funky waffle pattern. 

A little cheese leaked out onto the waffle iron but cleaned up real easy.

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Reheating Pizza with a Waffle Iron
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 06:43:16 PM »
This has been presented both recently and in the past in posts on Slice, the pizza presentation of Serious Eats. I have used a Forman grill with similar success, it does work better if your pizza has toppings such as sausage which buffer the direct contact of the grill surface on the cheese.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
Not sure what the point of your reply was as I don't hang out on Slice and saw no reason not to post it here.

Also your recommendation with the toppings doesn't apply to the technique I described as the toppings are to the inside of the "sandwich" created by putting the toppings to the inside and the crusts to the outside.

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 09:02:18 PM »
Pizza Waffles!!!!  8) Looks like I found a new item for the breakfast menu.  :pizza:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 10:14:51 PM »
bradtri,

Your approach to a waffle iron pizza looks very good!  I really like how you used your waffle iron to create that pattern look.  8)

I tried some waffle iron pizzas at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11568.msg106016#msg106016 and mine did not turn out as good looking as yours did.

Norma
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 10:16:52 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline bradtri

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 06:32:52 PM »
Hi Norma,
   I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing.  In your thread I think you were cooking the pizza in the waffle iron whereas mine was just a reheat of leftover pizza.  The pizza we used was a thicker crust pizza leftover from Old Chicago.  We cut each piece in half and then stacked them so that the crust was to the outside for both top and bottom.  It was probably about 1.5" thick at that point.  When we put it in the waffle iron, I weighted down the lid with a 12" cast iron skillet.  Since it was a thicker, softer crust, I think the pattern became much more pronounced.

I also tried it with some of my homemade pizza which has a much thinner crust and the "waffle pattern" was not near as pronounced.   There is a difference to the palate since the toppings are to the inside and don't hit the tongue for a few chews.  Maybe more like a calzone.   

We're also thinking of using our waffle iron like a "panini" press this summer for making tomato/mozzarella/basil panini sandwiches.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 10:06:23 PM »
Hi Norma,
   I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing.  In your thread I think you were cooking the pizza in the waffle iron whereas mine was just a reheat of leftover pizza.  The pizza we used was a thicker crust pizza leftover from Old Chicago.  We cut each piece in half and then stacked them so that the crust was to the outside for both top and bottom.  It was probably about 1.5" thick at that point.  When we put it in the waffle iron, I weighted down the lid with a 12" cast iron skillet.  Since it was a thicker, softer crust, I think the pattern became much more pronounced.

I also tried it with some of my homemade pizza which has a much thinner crust and the "waffle pattern" was not near as pronounced.   There is a difference to the palate since the toppings are to the inside and don't hit the tongue for a few chews.  Maybe more like a calzone.   

We're also thinking of using our waffle iron like a "panini" press this summer for making tomato/mozzarella/basil panini sandwiches.

bradtri,

I know my pizzas in the waffle iron were nothing like what you did.  That is a great idea to use your waffle iron like a panini press this summer for making tomato/mozzarella/basil panini sandwiches.  8)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!