Author Topic: Experiments on aluminum plate  (Read 475 times)

Offline Seven

Experiments on aluminum plate
« on: March 03, 2014, 01:22:30 PM »
Over the past few weeks, I've experimented with oven temps a bit to see what effect a cooler plate has on my pizzas. I typically pre-heat the oven to 500* convection and bake for 4 minutes, including 2 under the broiler (electric). Plate temps are generally around 525-530*. Yesterday, I decided to only pre-heat the oven to 450* convection and extend my bake time. I didn't take a plate temperature reading but it was likely 460-470* based on prior experience. Results are below...the 1st is a white with fresh garlic and some leftover mortadella and the 2nd is a standard pepperoni. I forgot to take upskirt shots but will on the leftovers tonight. These pies were baked for 6 minutes, including 2 under the broiler. Taste-wise, these were very different from my 4 minute bakes and I think my wife actually preferred these...more toothsome crust, slightly more toughness. Both pizzas were 16 inches...I use my 19 inch screen as a cooling rack.

I'm still struggling with getting better top crust coloration without burning my cheese and I may have to re-think my baking process, perhaps going with a low broil for a longer period of time. The recipe is already pushing the limits of sugar at 1.7% without bottom burning but I may be able to increase this slightly. Oil is at 2% and the dough was cold fermented for 60+ hours. Currently using AT flour but will be stopping at RD this weekend to get something a little lower in protein. Any suggestions for more top color? Thanks!

Online JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Experiments on aluminum plate
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 01:37:41 PM »
I actually off-center my pizza so the crust is directly under the hottest part of the flame. Since I make 18", that means the opposite end of the pizza is nearly against the side wall of the oven. You get good radiant heat on the sides and top at the same time and will get a nice even bake as long as you rotate a few times.

This assumes of course your fermentation is complete in the first place and you're not using sourdough.

I use a 75-25% blend of AT and white lilly bread flour.... I love it (if you have some AT left you want to use).
Josh

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 04:58:27 PM »
I would go to sliced cheese under the sauce instead of grated chess above.  Then I would go to a longer run of the broiler to get the top color you want.  If your cheese isn't high fat top with a bit of oil to get the cheese and sauce to blend into a wonderful orange blanket.
-Jeff

Offline Seven

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 08:47:54 AM »
I actually off-center my pizza so the crust is directly under the hottest part of the flame. Since I make 18", that means the opposite end of the pizza is nearly against the side wall of the oven. You get good radiant heat on the sides and top at the same time and will get a nice even bake as long as you rotate a few times.

This assumes of course your fermentation is complete in the first place and you're not using sourdough.

I use a 75-25% blend of AT and white lilly bread flour.... I love it (if you have some AT left you want to use).

Thanks, JD...that's not a bad plan. My broiler is electric but I definitely have some hot spots. I've not been rotating at all lately. Unfortunately, it seems like all my pizzas come out to 16" despite how big they are while dressed...they seem to shrink on the shake and launch.

Offline Seven

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 08:55:38 AM »
I would go to sliced cheese under the sauce instead of grated chess above.  Then I would go to a longer run of the broiler to get the top color you want.  If your cheese isn't high fat top with a bit of oil to get the cheese and sauce to blend into a wonderful orange blanket.

I'm currently using Formost Farms whole milk mozz that I shredded in my food processor. The shreds come out a little on the thin side but I've been adding them frozen to slow down browning. Maybe I'll slice the next loaf I buy but slices are more difficult to store than shreds. I'm going to try using the low broil setting for 2.5 to 3  minutes to see what happens to rim coloration. Below is a pizza I made on the plate using the convection roast setting, which utilizes the fan along with the top element. I walked away while it was baking but, judging from the coloration, it looks like the upper element was on for most (if not all) of the 4 minute bake. This cheese was diced Sorrento whole milk from RD.