Author Topic: Full red pizza sauce  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
Full red pizza sauce
« on: March 03, 2014, 03:36:15 PM »
I tried Full red pizza sauce this weekend, I have been really happy with 7/11 and Tomato magic so far, but decided to give Full red pizza sauce a go, and was really disappointed. The sauce was way too thick and it did not have that bright fresh tomato taste I am used to getting with Tomato Magic and 7/11 tomatoes. Not sure if anyone else had similar experience with it or what most people thought of it.
Definitely going back to 7/11, Tomato Magic or Sclafini(Jersey one) crushed. I guess don't fix it if it is not broken applies here  :-D
Sam

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Full red pizza sauce
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 03:39:56 PM »
Sam,

I've recently experienced the same. I didn't have time to add my normal spices/seasonings to the Full Red and hated it.  It was like a large can of tomato paste.  Like you, I love the Tomato Magic and Sclafani.  It's good to experiment though  ;D

Mary Ann

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 03:45:09 PM »
Sam,

I've recently experienced the same. I didn't have time to add my normal spices/seasonings to the Full Red and hated it.  It was like a large can of tomato paste.  Like you, I love the Tomato Magic and Sclafani.  It's good to experiment though  ;D
Hey Mary Ann,
Funny that you said that, that's exactly what the texture and taste was like, a big can of tomato paste lol . I did add my normal fresh oregano and basil and touch of sea salt like I normally do, but it did not help lol.
Yeah I like to try new things like you, but I think that was a bad experiment,  it ruined my pizza yesterday, I tossed the rest of the can out  :-D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:47:07 PM by Rinoxxx »
Sam

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 12:05:36 AM »
This sauce has to be watered down big time.  I mixed with 7/11 crushed tomatoes and add water and it was ok.  Made a real good meatball sandwich too
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 06:13:31 AM »
I believe Stanislaus' literature about Full Red Pizza Sauce states that it is a base which you adjust to suit your needs. Thinning and seasoning to your liking is the way this sauce is meant to be used.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 08:27:37 AM »
I believe Stanislaus' literature about Full Red Pizza Sauce states that it is a base which you adjust to suit your needs. Thinning and seasoning to your liking is the way this sauce is meant to be used.
Dave,

In general, Stanislaus itself does not advocate using water to thin its products: http://www.stanislaus.com/products/real-italian-products/pop_products . However, I once spoke with a rep at Stanislaus who told me that they had a concentrated tomato paste product that, at the time, was not shown on their website. I believe that this may be the paste product: http://www.stanislaus.com/_pdfs/Full-Red-Tomato-Paste.pdf .

Peter
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:30:56 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 09:58:14 AM »
Dave,

In general, Stanislaus itself does not advocate using water to thin its products: http://www.stanislaus.com/products/real-italian-products/pop_products . However, I once spoke with a rep at Stanislaus who told me that they had a concentrated tomato paste product that, at the time, was not shown on their website. I believe that this may be the paste product: http://www.stanislaus.com/_pdfs/Full-Red-Tomato-Paste.pdf .

Peter

Yeah I am never a fan of adding water to a sauce, I think it makes a sauce taste terrible. This was the can that I used.http://www.stanislaus.com/_pdfs/Full-Red-Pizza-Sauce.pdf Their description makes it sound like it is a ready to use pizza sauce.
Now they have another product that says it's for the budget person that wants to stretch their sauce which is this one http://www.stanislaus.com/_pdfs/Saporito-Pizza-Sauce.pdf.
This is the description right from their web page
"If maximizing the number of pizzas from each case of pizza sauce is more important than maximum retained fresh flavor, we recommend Saporito® Super Heavy Pizza Sauce over Full Red® Pizza Sauce. This extra-heavy base provides consistent s-t-r-e-t-c-h-ability—to provide you with the most "bang for your buck."

Saporito® is our heaviest pizza sauce base, with intense tomato flavor and very deep red color. (Available with or without hand-packed fresh basil leaves.)

Sam

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 11:20:03 AM »
Rinoxxx,

I do use Saporito Heavy Pizza Sauce for my sauce at market.  I do add other ingredients though and do have to add water when I need more pizza sauce during the day at market.  In my opinion the Saporito Heavy Pizza Sauce with basil is very good with the extra added ingreidents.  It does have a very fresh tomato flavor.  When pizza sauce is leftover it also freezes very well without any decline in taste when defrosted.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 11:38:24 AM »
To what I previously reported, pizza operators dilute Stanislaus tomato products with water all the time based on what I have read at the PMQ Think Tank forum. From what I recall, Escalon does not discourage thinning their products with water.

Peter

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 12:18:13 PM »
Rinoxxx,

I do use Saporito Heavy Pizza Sauce for my sauce at market.  I do add other ingredients though and do have to add water when I need more pizza sauce during the day at market.  In my opinion the Saporito Heavy Pizza Sauce with basil is very good with the extra added ingreidents.  It does have a very fresh tomato flavor.  When pizza sauce is leftover it also freezes very well without any decline in taste when defrosted.

Norma

Let me start by saying your pies look fantastic Norma !! :)

I totally understand in a retail pizza setting the need to be able to stretch the pizza sauce, but for my purpose making Pizza at home, 7/11, tomato Magic, and Sclafini crushed provides the perfect consistency for me, and since they come in a #10 can, its more then plenty for me even with making  side dipping sauces for my mozzarella sticks and crust  ;D
Sam
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:20:39 PM by Rinoxxx »
Sam

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »
Thinning doesn't necessarily have to be with water, I believe Stanislaus actually mentions combining Full Red with 7/11 as a classic combo for NY style sauce. Full Red is a concentrated crushed tomato product, meaning it is thicker and heavier than standard crushed tomatoes.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 02:39:27 PM »
Dave,

I did not interpret your original comments to be limited to diluting a canned sauce or tomatoes with water. However, that tends to be the most common way I have seen from my reading. There are some operators who will combine two Stanislaus products plus add water.

Peter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 03:42:34 PM »
Thinning doesn't necessarily have to be with water, I believe Stanislaus actually mentions combining Full Red with 7/11 as a classic combo for NY style sauce. Full Red is a concentrated crushed tomato product, meaning it is thicker and heavier than standard crushed tomatoes.

I used the NY style pizza sauce recipe from the Stanislaus web site a couple times. It was 2 parts 7/11 with 1 part of something denser than 7/11; probably Full Red. (I believe it was the product that's labeled "Concentrated Crushed" in some markets and "Pizza Sauce" in others.) This made me mistrust the recipe section of the Stanislaus web site enough that I won't consult it again. I should have been able to see before I even tried it that 7/11 alone is already pretty thick for NY style sauce, so there is no reason to thicken it. Plus 7/11 is awesome. I have 8 cans of it right now.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 03:47:34 PM »
I will have to give 7/11's another try, I bought a can several years ago and was not impressed enough to ever buy them again. I was a big fan of Escalon's 6 in 1's before finding Sclafani.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 03:51:23 PM »
I don't think I care much for 7/11 straight out of the can, but it's so good on a baked pizza.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 06:32:45 PM »
why would a sauce company suggest watering down their stuff- it would cut the profits for them :)  We use straight 7/11.  I have some full red that I experiment with via watering it down and mixing with the 7/11.  IMO there is no right or wrong just what you taste buds prefer.  Walter

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 06:43:37 PM »
I don't think I care much for 7/11 straight out of the can, but it's so good on a baked pizza.

IMO there is no right or wrong just what you taste buds prefer.  Walter

^^^ 100% with both statements.
Sam

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 06:57:14 PM »
^^^ 100% with both statements.

7/11 seems to sweeten up a bit after being baked, and the acidity disappears. Especially on deep dish after baking for 25 minutes. (Yeah, I know I should use Tomato Magic for deep dish. I have a can of Tomato Magic. But like I said, I have 8 cans of 7/11.)

Does it seem to become sweeter and less acidic to you after baking?

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 07:19:20 PM »
why would a sauce company suggest watering down their stuff- it would cut the profits for them :)  We use straight 7/11.  I have some full red that I experiment with via watering it down and mixing with the 7/11.  IMO there is no right or wrong just what you taste buds prefer.  Walter

Most places (not all) that use Saporito, do so because they are trying to get as many pizzas made from one can of sauce as they can. (Cutting food costs.) There is a Pizzeria in my neighborhood that does this and they sells a $5 pizza to draw people in. I have had their pizza and was not happy with it, but I did only pay $5 to see what it was like. As usual, you get what you pay for.

I think Stanislaus says it best on their website:

"If maximizing the number of pizzas from each case of pizza sauce is more important than maximum retained fresh flavor, we recommend Saporito Super Heavy Pizza Sauce over Full Red Pizza Sauce. This extra-heavy base provides consistent s-t-r-e-t-c-h ability -- to provide you with the most "bang for your buck."

http://www.stanislaus.com/products/real-italian-products/from-scratch-products#sPizza
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:21:43 PM by TomN »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »
Walter,

I agree with what you say but if you look at the pizza sauce recipes at the Escalon website at http://www.escalon.net/recipes/Pizza_Sauces/classic-pizza-sauce-1 you will see that they are not bashful about calling for their sauces to be thinned with water. And Escalon is the major competitor of Stanislaus and presumably would also like to maximize profits. Where both companies seem to agree is that their fresh-pack tomato products should not be cooked. Even that won't deter those who are bent on cooking their sauces.

Peter

pizzapan