Author Topic: Too chewy?  (Read 500 times)

Offline Jez

• I Love Pizza!
Too chewy?
« on: March 04, 2014, 05:36:09 AM »
Can you guys help me sort my dough out? It's too chewy at the moment.

Current procedure is:

Half 00/half strong bread flour
62.5% hydration
3% salt
2% fast action yeast

Autolyse - 20 min
Knead - 20 min
Fridge - 24 hours
Rise - 80 min
Bake - 2.5 mins

I use water at 25 degrees centigrade. I mix 3\4 of the flour, all the water and yeast and salt. Rest for 20. Then knead in the rest of the flour over 5 mins, and then knead it vigorously for 15. Then into a plastic container coated with a little olive oil. Then straight in the fridge for 24 hrs. Then take it out the fridge, leave it for 80 mins at room temp, then bake.

I have tried it with lower knead times...but I find that when I do, the dough doesn't stretch thin enough and won't windowpane. Have also tried it with 2 days in the fridge with lower knead times, but again no luck.

Pizza is tasty, but not quite there yet. I am using a UUNI pizza oven.

Will start using sourdough in a bit but don't want to do it before I get it right with the instant yeast.
Any tips on the procedure???

Online pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Too chewy?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 07:44:34 AM »
Lower knead time and add some oil.  Oil makes it tender and takes out the chew.  Oil can be 1-3% of the total dough volume.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 08:47:37 AM »
You could also increase the percentage of 00 flour and decrease the strong bread flour, or add a percentage of AP while decreasing the bread flour.  Also increasing the hydration somewhat should give you a more tender crust. 

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »
why 2% yeast for a 24 hour dough? a warm countertop rise can be done in that time with 1/10 that amount.

and, work the dough less. have you tried working it enough to only mix it, and not knead it so long?
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Jez

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 07:35:03 PM »
I use that much yeast because I just put a teaspoon in. But you think that is causing the problems? How much yeast do you guys recommend for the 24 hour rise?

I have tried working the dough less, but then I can't stretch the base thin enough - it is much more prone to tearing, and feels stickier. So I kneaded it until it become more malleable.

Have just made a batch of 100% caputo with 62.5% hydration...so hopefully this one will be better. Will post some pics of it tomorrow.

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 11:43:33 PM »
Go with 1/4 teaspoon, or less.

pizzapan