Author Topic: Ninja (blender) Dough Blade?  (Read 1099 times)

Offline pwc123

• I Love Pizza!
Ninja (blender) Dough Blade?
« on: March 04, 2014, 10:04:21 AM »
Hey guys/gals,

After searching both the forum and elsewhere I can't really find many first-hand experiences of people using the Ninja blenders to mix dough.  The new-ish Ninja (Ultima) blenders have a dough blade accessory that is supposed to be capable of mixing cookie and pizza dough.  But I'm skeptical being that the speed is probably too fast and the torque probably too low with these types of blenders/food processors.  Wouldn't the process not be gentle enough?  I wouldn't even attempt doing a lower hydration dough, but does anyone use their Ninja to mix small batches of high-hydration pizza dough (I'm trying to make Detroit/Sicilian-esque pan pies)?  I'd love to hear your experiences as owning a dough mixer in NYC purely to make pizza is a tough sell to my gf  ;D

Thanks all!

Offline vwbpizza

Re: Ninja (blender) Dough Blade?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »
I have very little knowledge compared to a great many on this forum. That said. I use the foodprocessor for bread and pizza dough every week. Do I make the BEST possible dough? Unquestionably not. Does it work for me and my guests? Yes And it's miles ahead of anything I can buy locallay.

Offline pwc123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 01:15:24 PM »
I have very little knowledge compared to a great many on this forum. That said. I use the foodprocessor for bread and pizza dough every week. Do I make the BEST possible dough? Unquestionably not. Does it work for me and my guests? Yes And it's miles ahead of anything I can buy locallay.

Yeah, like you, I'm not trying to go for the best possible - yet.  What kinds of pizza do you usually bake?  I'm wondering if it works for doughs that require good spring and are more airy.  Seems like those recipes require long periods of mixing, in some cases 10 minutes plus.  I don't know how of if a blender/food processor can achieve this since the speeds are so much greater.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 07:40:16 PM »
Just get a regular ole processor.....those Ninja's are a major pita to clean and I also think it would get the dough way too hot...if it was even able to plow through it.  ;)  Dumbest gadget I ever bought....makes a pretty damn fine smoothy though. I make my gf clean it!  :-D

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 08:32:26 PM »
My wife has the ninja kitchen system.  I've used the dough system with it a few times.  It's actually pretty neat, it has a sensor of some sort and slows down once the dough forms a ball.  I wouldn't use it for a long fermentation due to how much it heats up the dough, but for emergency dough it works really well.
-Jeff

Offline pwc123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 09:18:35 PM »
My wife has the ninja kitchen system.  I've used the dough system with it a few times.  It's actually pretty neat, it has a sensor of some sort and slows down once the dough forms a ball.  I wouldn't use it for a long fermentation due to how much it heats up the dough, but for emergency dough it works really well.

Does it actually manage to knead the dough at all or does it simply form the ball and that's that?

I'd get a food processor but the gf is enamored with these fancy blenders!

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 11:07:35 AM »
It kneads great, just with lots of heat.  After a few minutes you have a very well developed dough that will windowpane. 
-Jeff

pizzapan