Author Topic: for those interested in NY pizza...  (Read 5165 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
for those interested in NY pizza...
« on: March 30, 2004, 11:06:27 AM »
...this link might be kind of interesting.  It's a sort of hodgepodge of things; basically a "New York pizza club" website.  Check it out!

http://www.sliceny.com/

Dave

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re:for those interested in NY pizza...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 11:16:07 AM »
Cool, thanks  8)
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline LMU Pizza Man

• I'm a not a llama! But I caddied for him once.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 11:29:32 AM »
Lots of cool links off this one. hopefully I'll make it to new york some day to compare pizzas.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 11:39:43 AM »
If you guys ever DO make it to NYC to check this stuff out, let me clue you in on something--people will tell you that Joe's pizza in Greenwich Village is the best "pizza by the slice" pizzeria in town.  They know not of what they speak! :)

I lived a block away from Joe's all my life.  I ate there regularly.  I think I've consumed at least 5,000 slices of Joe's pizza over 20 years.  And I can tell you this--it USED to be really good, but about 7 years ago it changed and became absolutely ordinary.  That's when Giuseppe Vitale (or "Joe", as he's known in those parts) stopped actually making the pizza himself.  Now, the pizza actually isn't all that good--there are two pizzerias in the immediate vicinity that I'd go to before going to Joe's.  Consider yourselves warned :)

Dave

Pizzacko

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 10:25:32 PM »
hey...................... ??? the link is not working for me....

cogitovici

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 12:42:32 AM »
Great link.  I got a bunch of recipes to try from the Encyclopizza site.  I have been trying to come up with homemade pizza sausage that would compete with what I ate at Papa Del's in Champaign IL back in October, so I could enjoy good pizza here in San Diego.  I was there when he first opened in the early 70's and have never had a pie so good ever again.  I miss it so much!  

Sometimes I just look at our pictures of those pizzas and feel very sad that I am so far away.

I will certainly never be able to duplicate it, but if I come up with something I like nearly as well that I can make at will, I will be happy.  I am still pretty far off, but look forward to trying some of the other recipes from THIS site as well.

One place in Rancho Bernardo, DiCrescenzo's, has a very good sausage that is the style of Papa Del's, but could use some tweaking.  They are a 45 minute drive away though.  Closer than Champaign, and they have a really nice pizza.

I haven't been to NYC in 40 years, and have never even had pizza there.  I wish LA had some good pizzas to try...I have to check that out...because that isn't too too far away.  I've eaten most of the pizza in San Diego, and nothing is as outstanding as Papa Del's for some reason, or the places I grew up eating.  Maybe your first pizza is your best pizza.  I am beginning to think that.

Offline Big Al

• I'm a Pizza Fox
Can Stones & Screens work?
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 10:06:24 PM »
When I had my pizza restaurant we made New York Pizzas.  I had the luxury of a double deck bakers pride oven cooking those puppies at 550 degrees.  

I would place the pizza dough on those old metal mesh screens pop it in the bakers pride oven and it would make the best fluffy NY pizzas.

Now I am trying to use my home convection oven along with the quarry tiles on the bottom rack of the oven.

My question is I wonder if there is much if any difference using the quarry tiles with a pizza screen or is it better to have direct contact with the dough on the quarry tiles?

Anybody got any ideas or experience with this?  Seems to me the screens would work the same way as they would in a pro oven.
Big Al

stock

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 11:30:46 PM »
maybe i'm missing something, but why, if you're going to put the pizza on a stone, use a screen?  i just tried out my screen for the first time today, and i put it directly on the rack.  most people do this, right?  i'm not sure yet, but i may be done with my stone (that is to say, my unglazed clay tiles), since i liked not having to preheat the oven for 8 years.
-scott

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 01:04:08 AM »
I am still hesitant to dispose of my stone, I cook my Pizza Sandwiches ( Calzones burrito style) on the stone and also my smaller pizzas and crispy ones. the Screen I use for my 18" Newyorkers.

I just am not sure if one is better or not. However there is something about a seasoned stone like a seasoned pizza pan or cast iron skillet that is unique.

I also have tried this little trick I once heard:

To obtain a brick oven like quality on the bottom of your pizza put a little flour on the stone about a minute or two before putting it in  the flour will begin to burn a little and give the bottom that little burnt taste that comes from the fire ovens while leaving the actual crust intact. ;D
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline Big Al

• I'm a Pizza Fox
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2004, 10:41:08 AM »
the screens are great for those mass prodcution ny style pizza parlors, it keeps everything neat and makes for a quicker pizza.
As far as putting the screen directly on the rack, you can do it but I have found that when you put the pizza screen directly on the rack the dough does not puff up.  You still get a good pizza but one without the thick and puffy sides.
That is why i am wondering if you can put the screen on the tiles to get the same affect.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2004, 07:23:13 PM »
This one was cooked on a screen and no tile.
Randy

Offline Big Al

• I'm a Pizza Fox
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2004, 10:56:14 PM »
Randy looks pretty good to me.  Great looking pie from a rack and screen.
Hmmmmmm  I am thinking perhaps I need to increase the flour in my recipe.

stock

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2004, 11:17:37 PM »
Randy (or anyone else, for that matter), do you remove your stone/tiles from the oven when using the screen, or do you just leave them there?
-scott

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2004, 09:01:37 AM »
I no longer use a stone in the oven.

Randy

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2004, 09:05:43 AM »
Al post your recipe and let's take a look at it.  Also it maybe the way you shape your pizza.  Try pusing out the edge first to a size about that of your index finger then strech the rest of the dough.

Ransy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2004, 09:50:22 AM »
Randy (or anyone else, for that matter), do you remove your stone/tiles from the oven when using the screen, or do you just leave them there?
-scott

I use either a stone or a screen, but not both.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2004, 12:12:30 AM »
-scott

Try cooking on a screen ON TOP of the pizza stone at the beginning.  When the pizza is half-cooked, take out the screen and finish cooking the pizza on the stone.

Offline Big Al

• I'm a Pizza Fox
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2004, 05:01:50 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, before i go forward i think i will have to re-try one of the posted recipes.  I have been consumed with the chicago thin crust of late and have been enjoying the fruits of that labor.

One of the confusing things on this site is that not all recipes note what size pizza screen or pan they are using with the dough recipe.

Can someone jot down the BEST New York dough recipe for me that would fit on a 16" screen?