Author Topic: Rome; where to eat?  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• I Love Pizza!
Rome; where to eat?
« on: April 18, 2006, 03:43:15 PM »
I'm off to Rome in May with my partner and a couple of friends, can anyone recomend; a) good pizza joints and b) good Italian restaurants in general (esp. pasta & fish)?

Cheers,
Rich

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Rome; where to eat?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 04:40:30 PM »
Rich,

Hopefully some of our members with personal knowledge will reply, but in the meantime you might check out the Italian section of the eGullet forum, at http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showforum=39.

Peter

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 09:16:25 PM »
Check out Margutta Vegetariano near the Spanish steps on Via Margutta.  Don't pass it by because it is vegetarian.  It was a fantastic Saturday buffet for US $11 (2000).  The price was L16,000 back then, but now with the Euro and the week dollar it is probably more.  Not sure if they have the buffet at night since we were there for lunch.

Directions:

Right from bottom of Spanish step, right at Via Alibert, left onto Via Margutta.  At end of street on left.

We ate at a fantastic Ethiopian place also, but I cannot remember the name or location.  That was our second trip to Italy that year and we were looking for non-Italian food by the end of the trip.

TM

Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 10:40:15 PM »
Here is a link to some reviews of Margutta Vegetariano http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=1002
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 09:25:58 AM »
I would pay a visit to Pizzarium, to taste one of the best pizza romana in the city.

It is not exactly easy to find, but worth the visit

PIZZARIUM
via della Meloria, 43
St. Peter's
Tel: 06 3974 5416

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 01:41:55 AM »
Pete, that's a handy link, thanks very much.

Tony, vegetarian recomendations are very welcome!  3 of us are non-meat eaters...but fish still gets a look-in :)

pizzanapoletana, I will find it and report back.  BTW, your profile shows you as based in London, do you work in a pizza restaurant?

Cheers all,
Rich

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 01:01:33 PM »
Sforno
via statilio ottato 110 - 116 Rome, 06/71546118

I've not been here,but i've just heard some favorable comments and that they use a 200 yr old starter.
I'll be sure to check it out on my next visit.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 09:10:04 AM »
for outstanding carbonara, try Ai Tre Scalini.  Via SS. Quattro 30, Rome, Italy : Phone: 06/7096309
for pizza by the inch (weight, actually, but you order by length, with your fingers if you don't speak Italian), try Antico Forno at Piazza Campo.  http://www.fornocampodefiori.com/main.php

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 08:21:51 PM »
Sforno
via statilio ottato 110 - 116 Rome, 06/71546118

I've not been here,but i've just heard some favorable comments and that they use a 200 yr old starter.
I'll be sure to check it out on my next visit.

Should also note that they make a Pizza with Ham,Stilton and a Port wine reduction (Hey this is Roma not Napoli ;) that sounds like a saliva inducing combination !
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market