Author Topic: 2stone Inferno coupon for Pizzamaking members  (Read 5022 times)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: 2stone Inferno coupon for Pizzamaking members
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2014, 08:19:23 AM »
Some photos of the unboxing
Gee, I have some questions.  What kind of cardboard was that shipping package?  How many stones were broken?  Was the shaft bent? :-D

When you make a pie that looks better than Dylan's then we'll talk you can talk to Dylan.  (I've got some, um, learning to do.)

Dave

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2014, 09:31:59 AM »
Gee, I have some questions.  What kind of cardboard was that shipping package?  How many stones were broken?  Was the shaft bent? :-D

I couldn't believe that Willard shipped it in a custom plywood crate! No broken stones, no bent pieces, it's a work of art. Heavy gauge stainless steel, all welded construction, stainless steel hardware on the pieces that are bolted together, I'm very impressed with the workmanship.

I fired it up briefly last night (no pizza) and the stone was up to about 600 degrees F. in about 20 minutes. I'm going to attempt a couple of pizzas tonight when I get home from work.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2014, 09:38:25 AM »
Anticipating seeing those pizzas. That's an impressive looking oven in construction.
Davydd

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
  • gameplay engineer / pizza maker
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2014, 10:14:06 AM »
I couldn't believe that Willard shipped it in a custom plywood crate! No broken stones, no bent pieces, it's a work of art. Heavy gauge stainless steel, all welded construction, stainless steel hardware on the pieces that are bolted together, I'm very impressed with the workmanship.

I fired it up briefly last night (no pizza) and the stone was up to about 600 degrees F. in about 20 minutes. I'm going to attempt a couple of pizzas tonight when I get home from work.
Congrats!
Did you do anything to add thermal mass to the top? And did you happen to take a photo of that? :)
i'm making a pizza utility app.  check it out and give suggestions! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30444.0

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2014, 10:20:16 AM »
Congrats!
Did you do anything to add thermal mass to the top? And did you happen to take a photo of that? :)

I paid extra for the second stone up top since only one was included in the special pricing. I might order the thermal blanket that I found on amazon.com but I'm not sure it needs it... the top of the oven was not very hot, so I don't think there was much heat loss.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Everlast

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2014, 12:49:15 PM »
Some photos of the unboxing

Steve, you've got the roof of the Inferno on sideways. Turn it a quarter turn clockwise and it should seat properly.

Offline Everlast

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2014, 12:51:41 PM »
Also, 600 degrees in 20 minutes doesn't seem right. With the gas full bore, you should hit 800F in 10-12 minutes.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2014, 12:57:53 PM »
Also, 600 degrees in 20 minutes doesn't seem right. With the gas full bore, you should hit 800F in 10-12 minutes.

I was having issues with the burner blowing itself out with the gas turned up high. I adjusted the burner vent and it's a little better (more blue and less yellow flames), but it still wants to blow out with the gas cranked high. I'm going to check the burner holes to make sure they're all reamed out properly.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:26:57 PM by Steve »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2014, 05:02:51 PM »
Maybe you just have to turn it down a bit, I'm not sure.  You might give Willard a call.  My sense is that he is pretty particular about these setups, so I suspect something is amiss other than turn down the dial.

In my experience with these kinds of burners, a few things come to mind.  First if the flame output is obstructed, it can blow itself out.  Also, if there isn't enough air (or too much air eg. wind) feeding the flame it may go out.  I'm not talking about the burner vent, which is also an air intake, but just having unchoked free flowing air surrounding the circular burner is important.  Lastly, if you are running unregulated with high PSI in the line, that could cause a problem.

Dave

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2014, 09:03:33 PM »
Ok, scratch the burner issues. I readjusted the air mix and didn't have any problems with the flame. Stone was up to 750 degrees F. in 20 minutes. Not sure what I was doing wrong last night, but it's fine now.

Here's my first attempt at Neapolitan pizza using TXCraig's recipe (Caputo @ 62.5% hydration, 3 day cold ferment) on my brand new 2stone. I made two Margheritas and one pepperoni (Ezzo). All three pizzas tasted AMAZING!!

Stone temperature was 750 degrees F., cooking time was approximately 120 seconds.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:07:52 PM by Steve »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2014, 09:18:23 PM »
Congrats!

Sure, I removed the top and took these shots of the two stones that make up the ceiling of the oven. One shot shows both stones in place, the other shows them propped up so that you can get a better idea of what they looks like.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2014, 10:54:23 PM »
Looks like you've come out of the gate running. Now get that dough out of the fridge!  :(  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2014, 07:40:25 AM »
Looks like you've come out of the gate running. Now get that dough out of the fridge!  :(  ;D

I used a cold ferment because I had to use regular IDY... I didn't want the dough to blow out on me. I need to buy a starter.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2014, 08:16:23 AM »
I used a cold ferment because I had to use regular IDY... I didn't want the dough to blow out on me. I need to buy a starter.

steve,

nice pizza

use Craig's chart , IDY isn't an excuse   ;) , this chart rocks  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26831.msg285982.html#msg285982

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:19:03 AM by deb415611 »

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2014, 10:05:41 AM »
Sure, I removed the top and took these shots of the two stones that make up the ceiling of the oven. One shot shows both stones in place, the other shows them propped up so that you can get a better idea of what they looks like.

Thanks!
i'm making a pizza utility app.  check it out and give suggestions! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30444.0

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2014, 09:13:19 AM »
Steve, some great looking pies!

After I made all the high temp pies 900+F I started playing around with temperatures, dough textures etc. etc.
I found my favorite setting was 630-650 This is actually very hot in the 2stone because heat is always being replenished. Some of my favorite pies were done similar to "mozza's" using clover honey in the dough. You can also do incredible sourdough loaves (3 13oz loaves per bake) at 425-450

Regards
Willard
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:21:56 PM by Steve »
2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2014, 03:03:33 PM »
Mine was just delivered!

My wife called me to say the UPS guy dropped it off his handtruck twice, cursed the world and said he wished she wasn't home.  I'm headed home to examine the damages (which are hopefully none, i've got dough a brewin!)

Edit: This thing is tough! With all the dropping going on (I guess he dropped it 3 times, not 2) the top compartment unseated itself and fell down causing some fibrament damage.  The non fibrament aspects of the 2stone are unphased. I called up UPS and complained, they're going to contact me on monday to "schedule an inspection".  sigh, maybe i'll fire it up anyway.

Here's the worst of the damage, on a top stone.  The circular stone doesn't seem to be damaged at all, although Willard's insert mentions that you should be careful not to drop them in-case of hairline fractures that eventually go out of control.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 04:23:29 PM by anverc »

Offline wag

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2014, 04:09:10 PM »
wished I would have known, I for sure would not pass that deal up :(

Offline dineomite

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2014, 10:24:25 PM »
I've got to say, I purchased a 2 Stone at the end of last autumn. In this, the never ending winter, I made pizzas 3-4 times a week. My dough has improved exponentially in a very short period of time. I am excited for you guys. It's so nice to experiment with an 850 after just 25 minutes of heat up. Enjoy.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2014, 09:26:52 AM »
Mine was just delivered!

My wife called me to say the UPS guy dropped it off his handtruck twice, cursed the world and said he wished she wasn't home.  I'm headed home to examine the damages (which are hopefully none, i've got dough a brewin!)

Edit: This thing is tough! With all the dropping going on (I guess he dropped it 3 times, not 2) the top compartment unseated itself and fell down causing some fibrament damage.  The non fibrament aspects of the 2stone are unphased. I called up UPS and complained, they're going to contact me on monday to "schedule an inspection".  sigh, maybe i'll fire it up anyway.

Here's the worst of the damage, on a top stone.  The circular stone doesn't seem to be damaged at all, although Willard's insert mentions that you should be careful not to drop them in-case of hairline fractures that eventually go out of control.
Yours is a heck of a story, anverc.  A couple of drops and the result is a small chip - really?  Well designed Willard!  It seems wise to anticipate that small cracks may grow over time with hot/cold cycling - similar to a car windshield with a rock chip.  I'm not sure how you "give notice" on that possible future issue with UPS.  Maybe show the manufacturer's email to UPS and get their signature on it so prove they read it.  Feels like a lot of work, but depending on the stone replacement cost, maybe.

Dave

pizzapan