Author Topic: Adventures in Pizzas with Mmmph's Cafe Fear Starter  (Read 1337 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Adventures in Pizzas with Mmmph's Cafe Fear Starter
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 08:02:58 PM »
Norma, they all look great! Nice sky shot too!

Wayne

Thanks Wayne!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline texmex

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 08:14:37 PM »
 ;D nice looking pies!
Reesa

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 08:28:03 PM »
;D nice looking pies!

Thanks Reesa!

Norma

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 10:53:31 AM »
Beautiful work, Norma. I especially like the the crumb and the upskirt.

How was the taste?
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 11:27:58 AM »
Beautiful work, Norma. I especially like the the crumb and the upskirt.

How was the taste?

Thanks Mmmph, but I need to work on understanding more how my BS works better for baking NP style pizzas.  I really have not made a lot of starter pies in the BS as of now.  I also have to learn how to do that "Dylan shuffle".  The taste of the crust was very good and not sour at all.  I ate two slices cold and they were very tasty.  Cape Fear sure does a good job of leavening pizza dough.

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 08:31:36 PM »
I mixed a NY style dough tonight with Cape Fear.  I am going to let the dough ball room temperature ferment until it looks like it is ready to make a pizza.  I took the pH of cape fear just to see what the pH number was before I fed Cape Fear.  The dough was made with a bleached and bromated flour.  Cape Fear is starting to have a little wine smell now that I am feeding him filtered water.

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 06:54:15 AM »
The Cape Fear NY style dough ball looks like it has fermented pretty much until this morning.  It is supposed to be spring-like in temperatures today so market will probably be warmer than usual.  I am going to reball so the dough ball does not ferment too much until I find time to bake the pizza.  The pH number this morning of the Cape Fear dough ball can be seen.  The Cape Fear starter was very mild smelling when I use it to make the dough.

Norma

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 08:46:56 AM »
Very nice looking NP pizzas, Norma!  Well done. I have some Cape Fear sitting on my counter right now.  It really is a superior starter.  Thanks Mmmph!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 09:03:54 PM »
Very nice looking NP pizzas, Norma!  Well done.

tinroofrusted,

Thanks!

Norma

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 08:21:19 AM »
Did the Cape Fear NY Style pizza come out well Norma? I'm interested to see how it behaved in a deck oven.
Josh

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 09:52:41 AM »
Did the Cape Fear NY Style pizza come out well Norma? I'm interested to see how it behaved in a deck oven.

Josh,

No, the Cape Fear NY Style pizza did not turn out well.  I will post the photos and what happened this morning.  I think the reball really harmed the dough ball texture and final pizza.  I also think my ferment times maybe were not long enough to give a better more complex flavor to the pizza.  I also use a new cheese which was terrible.  Cape Fear did a very good job at making the dough ferment.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 11:15:34 AM »
I think some of my experiments yesterday, in addition to using Cape Fear in a dough, was very humbling to me that I really don't know that much about making any pizza doughs.  Just when I think I have one thing figured out more things make me rethink that making pizzas or doughs are one of the most complicated things to do for me.   

I don't think I should have done the reball yesterday morning, or either reballed with a ligther touch.  The Cape Fear NY style dough ball did ferment well and the pizza was made at about 1:00 PM yesterday afternoon.  The pH of the Cape Fear dough ball was 4.51.  The Cape Fear dough ball was very hard to open.  I wish I would have taken a photo of the skin when I had it stretched out the best I could.  There was a lot webbing in the skin and it was very elastic.  I sure picked a wrong time to try a new cheese.  I never tried Polly-O mozzarella, but I won't be trying it again.  The Polly-O whole milk mozzarella cheese looked like a volcano was erupting when it was melting on the pizza on the deck and it sure did not blend well with my sauce.

The bottom crust almost looked like I had used some fat flakes in the Cape Fear dough.  The taste of the crust was almost bland. 

I know I probably made a lot of mistakes in using Cape Fear in a NY style dough and making the final pizza.  Sorry Mr. Cape Fear!  :'(

The second photo is after the Cape Fear dough ball was reballed and was at market.

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 11:18:45 AM »
Norma

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2014, 11:32:47 AM »
To be honest, I've never understood reballing.  ???
When the dough is ready, I bake. If I can't bake, I refrigerate.

I've never reballed dough in my life. I never saw it before I came to PM.com, and I haven't seen it on other dough-related websites, or any mention of it in any cookbook I've read.

To each one's own.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2014, 11:35:09 AM »
That doesn't look as bad as you made it sound!

Do you usually re-ball your doughs made with bromated flour, or was this a special occasion?

Like Mmmph, I stopped re-balling my bromated doughs due to unevenness and over-elastic properties in the resulting skin.
Josh

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2014, 11:37:32 AM »
To be honest, I've never understood reballing.  ???
When the dough is ready, I bake. If I can't bake, I refrigerate.

I've never reballed dough in my life. I never saw it before I came to PM.com, and I haven't seen it on other dough-related websites, or any mention of it in any cookbook I've read.

To each one's own.

Mmmph,

I really don't understand reballing that much either.  I have tried some experiments but really can't comment because I have not tried enough.  I know John (fazzari) has had good results with reballs, but then he ferments for longer periods of time.  For me my experiments in doing reballs have not turned out well.  My gluten structure in reballing usually gets all messed up.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 11:53:15 AM »

Do you usually re-ball your doughs made with bromated flour, or was this a special occasion?

Like Mmmph, I stopped re-balling my bromated doughs due to unevenness and over-elastic properties in the resulting skin.

Josh,

No, I do not usually reball my doughs made with bromated flours. 

I did an experimental Ischia starter dough for a NY style pizza that was fermented at room temperature and reballed.  It also was made with a bromated flour.  That post is at Reply 497  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg303090#msg303090   I did that experiment after reading Mary Ann's post at Reply 2 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30302.msg302259#msg302259   That is one reason I think I would never fully understand using any starter in a pizza dough.  I know the experts on sourdough pizzas know much more than I do.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2014, 11:59:23 AM »
I gave Steve a small amount of the Cape Fear starter last Tuesday.  I did not know he also was going to use Cape Fear in a NY style dough yesterday.  Steve mixed his dough with Cape Fear yesterday morning and baked his Cape Fear dough late in the day.   Steve did do a reball when he came to market, but Cape Fear had not fermented the dough by then.  Steve's Cape Fear NY style dough ball did open much better than mine did.  Steve took the pH of his Cape Fear NY style dough ball when it was ready to be used, but I left that pH number at market.  I think it was somewhere near about 4.85.  Cape Fear did ferment the dough ball well in the short time span since he mixed the dough.

We had one taste tester taste a slice of Steve's Cape Fear NY style pizza that usually gives his honest opinions of what he thinks our experimental pizzas taste like.  He said this was the first pizza experimental pizza that he did not care for. 

If you want to ask Steve any other questions about the formulation he used or what Steve did he can answer.  Steve did use a different NY style dough formulation than I did and used a higher percentage of the Cape Fear starter in his dough.

I don't think Steve or I really don't have any conclusions on these experiments with Cape Fear.  We are both still learning what makes a good pizza dough.  I do think that any starter dough might be better in flavor if given a longer time to ferment.  Next time I won't try a reball and probably will do a longer ferment.   

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 12:00:40 PM »
Norma

Offline minn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2014, 02:29:11 AM »
Norma

My gosh, look at the spongy structure, look at the thin skin with the char,  I am so jealous of your pie now  8)

pizzapan