Author Topic: Bit by Bit  (Read 221 times)

Offline doughjockey

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Bit by Bit
« on: March 05, 2014, 01:34:09 AM »
Asking for advice please,
Using this recipe;
100% HG Flour
63% Hydration
3% Salt
3% Oil
0.5% Idy
335g ball, 48hr Cold Ferment, cooked @ 700 in a gas oven on 25mm firebrick, top shelf.
The recipe has been for a year now, really great tasting, works beautifully, (with my limited skills...) great oven spring. Slowly, bit by bit, over the last few weeks, the dough has become so extensible, it practically doesn't require stretching. I pick it up, it oozes toward the bench. Very little oven spring, still tastes good, but disappointing. The only variable I noticed is that the yeast, which I keep in the fridge in its airtight contained is past its use by date by a couple of months. Could this be the cause ? Does "old" yeast make a soft dough ?
Thanks very much for any advice.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Bit by Bit
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 08:28:08 AM »
bit by bit, over the last few weeks, the dough has become so extensible, it practically doesn't require stretching. I pick it up, it oozes toward the bench. Very little oven spring

From this info alone, I'd probably agree with your assessment. The good thing is you can pick up one of those cheap 3 packet yeast sleeves and know for sure very quickly if it is your problem.

Have you changed the type of salt you use by any chance?
Josh

Offline doughjockey

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Bit by Bit
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 04:45:05 PM »
Thanks Josh,
Same salt. What is the effect of oil in the dough, not everyone uses it I see.

Gus

pizzapan