Author Topic: UUNI oven questions?  (Read 629 times)

Offline Jez

• I Love Pizza!
UUNI oven questions?
« on: March 08, 2014, 06:40:54 AM »
I bought an uuni and am not achieving the results I want to see. I bought a 3/8 inch steel plate to put in the bottom of it, and tried that having preheated for 15-20mins at full blast before that, but it was still lacking in deck temp. I will try preheating for 40 mins today and see if it is better. If not I have a plan!

Get some tiles and put them on top of the oven.
I got the idea from this thread:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=27932.0

What I am also thinking of doing is elevating the metal plate on some bricks so it is closer to the flame, and hopefully that will, with the tiles, make for a small and hot stove at the top of the oven, with good currents of air flowing around the metal plate.

Do you guys think the bricks thing is a good idea?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 08:16:09 AM by Jez »

Online norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
Re: UUNI oven questions?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 07:46:47 AM »
Hi Jez, I sold my UUNI a long time ago but when I used it with a 3/8 steel plate preheating while running the UUNI wide open got the deck too hot. Not sure why you are not having the same results. Make sure you keep the door closed (during preheating) since the heat will just rush out with it open. Also make sure your not blocking the holes on the UUNI deck with the steel plate.

I think elevating the plate will not work as it will move the pie too close to the huge flames that push out of the UUNI fire. The top will likely burn way to fast.  I never tried the bricks so not sure how much that will add.... Good luck and have fun!

Offline Jez

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 08:24:10 AM »
@norcoscia
Do you remeber how low you managed to get the cook time with the steel plate?

Online norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 09:12:21 AM »
Sorry no, it was pretty quick, BTW, I stretch my dough really thin so maybe that helped cook it quickly. I found preheating on high for 20 min or so and then closing down the air vent to about one inch open (or less) would help balance the top and bottom. The oven is not easy to control and hard to keep running with a consistent fire.