Author Topic: Should I Buy a 2stone?  (Read 1548 times)

Offline nuevoyork

• I Love Pizza!
Should I Buy a 2stone?
« on: March 05, 2014, 01:04:07 PM »
I've been on the fence regarding purchasing a blackstone for quite some time.  I was just about to pull the trigger, but then the 2stone coupon was offered and now I'm not so sure.  With the discount, is the 2stone better than the blackstone?

Offline PizzaJerk

Re: Should I Buy a 2stone?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 01:10:50 PM »
I'm in the same boat and I have a Blackstone. Being that I'm working on a mobile venture, I'm seriously considering it as I see it is of commercial quality and can withstand the rigors of regular use.

Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

Offline nuevoyork

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 01:14:18 PM »
So the 2stone will last longer? How much longer?

scott123

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 01:31:40 PM »
Re; longevity, Mark Evenson, in the past, has talked about the 2stone basically being immortal, but I'm not sure I go that far in describing it.  It's got a lot of stainless steel, which is definitely going to prolong it's life much further than the blackstone, but it isn't 100% stainless. While we haven't seen a blackstone rust out yet, I think it's pretty clear that 2stones are built to last longer.  With the coupon, the 2stone is still 3 times the cost of a BS.  Is greater longevity worth 3 times the price? I think, until we actually see the BS start failing, it's too early to determine value from a longevity perspective.

Besides, Blackstone is offering parts at seemingly very reasonable rates, so even if a component does rust out, you can just replace it. If, say, the heat shield is prone to failure and costs, say, $30 to replace, you could buy a boatload of heat shields before you'd be anywhere near the cost of a 2stone.

You can't compare two ovens without comparing the pizzas they make, and, so far, the 2stone has produced some amazing looking pies, but I don't think any have been of a Dylan caliber.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 02:42:00 PM by scott123 »

Offline nuevoyork

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
What's a 'Dylan caliber?'

scott123

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 01:45:12 PM »
A Blackstone Down Under

Here is what Dylan has been able to produce:

Offline nuevoyork

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »
So, the oven gets the credit, not the baker?

scott123

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 02:11:17 PM »
No, they both get the credit for the beautiful pizza. Who could really say what Dylan could achieve with a 2stone?  But some incredibly talented and knowledgeable people have owned 2stones over the years, and no one's produced a pie of that quality, and to me, that gives a slight edge to the blackstone.

In all fairness, thanks, in large part, to Craig's efforts, the craft of Neapolitan pizzamaking on this site has moved forward by leaps and bounds in recent years, and most of the 2stone work has been pre-Craig and all of the BS work, post, so one could relate the superior bs pies to a more knowledgeable forum, and, given new knowledge, the 2stone folks could step up.  But it doesn't change the fact that, right now, BSes are making much better pies, and are owned by far more people, and this momentum is driving better and better results.  I don't see an $800 discount changing that- regardless of how kind Willard might be to offer it to the members here.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 03:02:10 PM »
What's a 'Dylan caliber?'
I hope others enjoy the 'Dylan caliber' reference as much as I do. :-D  In fairness, a number of 'stoners' (2 and Black) are posting great pictures. 
There is something almost haunting about Dylan's pie pictures - I'm not sure if it is the photography, or the Dylan Wartztm, or what - but more than a few members "know it when they see it" - Dylan caliber, that is. :chef:

Scott123 - really good comments, IMO.  The few things that I would add are that 2Stone is designed for a commercial environment and Blackstone is designed as a home patio oven.  A commercial setting, where time is money, may advantage the 2Stone.  I don't know what size the regulator is on 2Stone but recovery time should be a considered in the choice.  Lastly, new Blackstone models shipping through Griddle Guru and Amazon now have ETL certification, which may be important to some.

Dave

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »
Dave, do you think the ETL listing speaks to a quality change from Blackstone? I really wish they would make a commercial quality unit. I understand that they offer commercial griddles.

Anthony

scott123

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 04:55:37 PM »
The few things that I would add are that 2Stone is designed for a commercial environment and Blackstone is designed as a home patio oven.

Dave, I don't know Willard or the people at Blackstone personally, but I kind of doubt that when Willard was designing the 2stone, he was excluding home bakers or that the Blackstone folks were excluding commercial entities.  I think both of them designed these ovens for everyone.

Not that I'm saying that the blackstone has a noticeable commercial advantage. The BS is a bit unproven in the commercial arena, but I think time will resolve that, as more and more people buy it for that purpose. The inferno does have considerably more BTUs (145K vs. 60K for the BS), and, as you mentioned, we don't know what differences we might see in regulators, but, we also don't know if the extra BTUs are even necessary in a commercial setting and regulators can typically be swapped out, if they did produce a discernible difference.

If I was buying an oven for, say, a business selling pizzas at a farmer's market, I might, if possible, seek out a 2stone owner and test the 2stone in a high-ish volume setting, but, if that wasn't possible, and I had to choose based on the currently available info... I might lean a bit towards a BS.

scott123

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
I really wish they would make a commercial quality unit.

Anthony, what qualities would you look for in a commercial blackstone?  While there have been the obvious issues with shipping damage, once the damaged parts have been replaced, it seems like blackstones have been reliable. If I was using a bs commercially, I might purchase a few backup parts of the more questionable components and have them on hand at events, such as having additional heat shields and possibly extra stones, but assuming I had parts to spare, I'd feel very confident using a BS commercially.

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 05:20:25 PM »
Specifically, the body would be stainless steel. Health departments are sometimes very critical of that. Heavy duty burner valve and gas piping as well as a heavy duty rotisserie (I understand that this could be upgraded easily). Basically built with the same quality control standards that most any piece of equipment must pass to be considered "commercial". I fully intend on possibly using my Blackstone to start my mobile venture but am not holding my breath on it being a truly viable option. I just need to get my start with what my budget allows and am in total agreement with you that a Blackstone is a far better buy than a 2stone.

Anthony

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 01:03:56 AM »
One other thing, insulate the entire oven.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 04:59:21 AM »

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=13911.msg160099#msg160099

Robert has produced some amazing pizzas from his 1st generation 2Stone. 

FWIW; I just recently moved & left my WFO behind. After owing a WFO for quite some time I have decided to purchase a 2Stone instead of building another WFO.

Matt

[size=78%]You can't compare two ovens without comparing the pizzas they make, and, so far, the 2stone has produced some amazing looking pies, but I don't think any have been of a Dylan caliber.[/size]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 05:02:35 AM by Matthew »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 08:11:17 AM »
Dave, I don't know Willard or the people at Blackstone personally, but I kind of doubt that when Willard was designing the 2stone, he was excluding home bakers or that the Blackstone folks were excluding commercial entities.  I think both of them designed these ovens for everyone.

Not that I'm saying that the blackstone has a noticeable commercial advantage. The BS is a bit unproven in the commercial arena, but I think time will resolve that, as more and more people buy it for that purpose. The inferno does have considerably more BTUs (145K vs. 60K for the BS), and, as you mentioned, we don't know what differences we might see in regulators, but, we also don't know if the extra BTUs are even necessary in a commercial setting and regulators can typically be swapped out, if they did produce a discernible difference.

If I was buying an oven for, say, a business selling pizzas at a farmer's market, I might, if possible, seek out a 2stone owner and test the 2stone in a high-ish volume setting, but, if that wasn't possible, and I had to choose based on the currently available info... I might lean a bit towards a BS.
Again, I think your points are spot on.
Dave

Offline Dusen berry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 10:42:38 AM »
I have cooked on both ovens. They both make great pies. I currently own a blackstone and feel like it is much easier to control the heat. :chef:

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 10:58:07 AM »
 here can i find the 2 stone coupon?

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 11:00:20 AM »
  sorry found it!!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 04:25:26 PM »
The inferno does have considerably more BTUs (145K vs. 60K for the BS)

Blackstone offered to sell me an oven for $345 which included shipping. It was tempting, and I almost bought one, but I decided to buy a 2stone inferno for several reasons:

1) The $850 coupon brought the cost of a 2stone down to $1400 (shipped).
2) The 2stone is made of heavy gauge stainless steel.
3) The 2stone sports a 145,000 BTU burner (vs. 60,000 BTU for the Blackstone)
4) I've read stories about Blackstone units overheating, parts melting, etc.

I don't own either oven (well, I just ordered the 2stone but haven't taken delivery yet), but I'm of the mindset that if you buy cheap you buy twice. The Blackstone appears to be constructed of painted steel and there's no question in my mind that it will eventually rust. I've purchased two Brinkmann smokers that are built similarly, and both have rusted out. On the other hand, I spent quite a bit more money for a Smokette stainless steel smoker and that baby shows no signs of aging (had it for 8 years now). I should have bought the Smokette from the get-go and skipped the cheaper units.

I'm sure both ovens will cook a great pizza. But I want my oven to last a long time. And if I want a hot oven, I know that I can crank up that 145,000 BTU burner and she'll get hot!  :)

Just my $0.02

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 04:44:54 PM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.