Author Topic: Should I Buy a 2stone?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: Should I Buy a 2stone?
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »
where can i find the 2 stone coupon?

The $850 group-buy coupon can be found in this thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30602.0
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Everlast

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 04:45:49 PM »
You can't compare two ovens without comparing the pizzas they make, and, so far, the 2stone has produced some amazing looking pies, but I don't think any have been of a Dylan caliber.

Did this on the 2stone Inferno. Not sure I see a difference but please point it out if you do. I'd be interested to know how I can make improvements.

Offline JBailey

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 05:33:33 PM »
That 2 stone pie looks amazing! :drool: :chef:

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »
That 2 stone pie looks amazing! :drool: :chef:
Sure it looks good at first glance, but if you study the lower right section, two basil leaves are almost touching which could create a flavor burst. :-D

Seriously, I donít know whatís changed in the last few years but the pie quality on this forum seems at an all time high.  Much credit goes to those members that have posted their methods then painstakingly assisted others in replicating their outstanding results.  (We all know their names).

Iím still struggling to match Everlast and Dylan (in the meantime Iím taking a Photoshop class). :-D

Dave

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 06:34:33 PM »
Sure it looks good at first glance, but if you study the lower right section, two basil leaves are almost touching which could create a flavor burst. :-D

Seriously, I donít know whatís changed in the last few years but the pie quality on this forum seems at an all time high.  Much credit goes to those members that have posted their methods then painstakingly assisted others in replicating their outstanding results.  (We all know their names).

Iím still struggling to match Everlast and Dylan (in the meantime Iím taking a Photoshop class). :-D

Dave

I see several places where the leopard spots are less than 0.78 cm from each other.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 08:29:46 AM »
Half serious here.
  • Maybe we need to create a Forum spec to replace VPN, since VPN specifically outlaws non-WFO bakes. 
    2.4 Cooking the " Verace Pizza Napoletana " Ė (Vera Pizza Napoletana)

ďVerace Pizza NapoletanaĒ - (Vera Pizza Napoletana) must be done exclusively in a wood fire oven which has reached the cooking temperature of 485į C, (905F). This is essential to cook the pizza.
    To save the trees, to save energy, and to still appreciate the beauty and flavor of great pizza, all forms of baking would be encouraged. 
    Innovations welcome.

• Instead of VPN, we call the new standard "PMS2" or Pizza Making Specification for Stoners  (2Stone, Blackstone, etc.).

Ok, somebody else pick the name ;D

Dave
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:33:23 PM by Tampa »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 06:28:29 PM »
seems they are getting away from that. i think some whole food stores a vpn certified with gas fired wood ovens.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2014, 07:56:51 AM »
seems they are getting away from that. i think some whole food stores a vpn certified with gas fired wood ovens.

That's progressive.  Thanks for the note.  If anyone sees a spec change or non-WFO VPN certification, pls post.  Maybe someday the modified G3 guys will have a cert. :)  (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=19732.0)

Pls don't misunderstand me to be a WFO non-fan, as I've been there, eaten and loved that.  It's just that, like some others on this forum, I'm a "heat's heat" believer and there has been a lot of good innovation in alternatives the last few years.

Update: I met with the VPN folks at 2014 International Pizza Expo and in a few months they will have a VPN-like specification for gas ovens.  It won't be called VPN, they coined some other name (which I didn't write down).  FWIIW, I mentioned that to the owner of a large domestic gas oven manufacturer to get his reaction.  He said 'it doesn't matter'.  He has been working with the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana for many years and is convinced that "their sole purpose is to help Italian companies." JTM - Just The Messenger.
Dave
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:29:26 PM by Tampa »

Offline Davydd

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2014, 12:43:32 PM »
Half serious here.
  • Maybe we need to create a Forum spec to replace VPN, since VPN specifically outlaws non-WFO bakes.  To save the trees, to save energy, and to still appreciate the beauty and flavor of great pizza, all forms of baking would be encouraged. 
    Innovations welcome.

• Instead of VPN, we call the new standard "PMS2" or Pizza Making Specification for Stoners  (2Stone, Blackstone, etc.).

Ok, somebody else pick the name ;D

Dave
You have VPN so why not VPS for Verace Pizza Stoners;D

I've been reading everything I can about 2Stone and Blackstone here. At first I was looking at both with a jaundice viewpoint of eventually wanting a wood fired oven. But after partaking in building wood-fired ovens and not getting around to building one in over four years I am wondering if building one is feasible in my future. My problem is 3-4 months of extreme winter and RV travel keeping me away mostly in spring and fall. An outdoor wood-fired oven would get buried under snow. I could use a gas stone oven on my 4-sided gazebo screen porch under protection even if still cold. So, I am thinking if I want to up my game from my current electric range pizza oven and my electric clamshell table top pizza maker I will have to do something. Dylan down Under has convinced me a stoner can make a pizza as well. BTW, in regard to VPN, I have not seen too many wood-fired pizzerias that have baked at the required 905 F. I don't know if a busy pizzeria can keep up with that requirement.

I went to Cabelas yesterday and looked at the Blackstone. Maybe it was all the commiseration about shipping that led me to believe that unit was poorly made but I came away with the impression that the Blackstone was a quality product and would last years if treated right and protected. To justify one I would need some versatility such as baking bread, meat, etc. To me, for home use and back yard, I'm not sure I could justify the extra expense of a 2Stone unless someone could prove the extra BTUs are absolutely necessary. Obviously the Blackstone is not of the high quality as the 2Stone but my experience with backyard grills and such tells me the Blackstone will last. I will say this, I've quickly dismissed the idea of the gas fired Pizzacraft Pizzeria Pronto.
Davydd