Author Topic: Instawares - a little annoyed...  (Read 6785 times)

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
Instawares - a little annoyed...
« on: April 19, 2006, 05:36:14 PM »
Sorry - I have to vent.

About a month ago, I ordered a 12" wooden peel from Instawares.  After about 10 days, I was wondering where it was.  I called them and they told me that they've been out of stock and the next shipment in will arrive in two days.  I waited, and the peel ultimately DID arrive.  Turns out that I really need a larger peel.  On Sunday, I ordered a 16" peel.  I made note that the website said that they had 35 in stock.  I paid extra to have it shipped 2-day air to make sure I'd have it for this weekend.  Today (Wednesday) their website still doesn't show any tracking info on my order (although now they've got 59 in stock), so I called up. The rep said they're out of stock.

"But the website said you had 35."
"It's supposed to be shipped out of the Chicago warehouse, and THEY are out of stock.  Other warehouses have it."

Am I wrong for being a little PO'd about this?
--pat--

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Instawares - a little annoyed...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 06:17:50 PM »
Hello Enchant;
Sounds like they are giving you the old BS Run Around.  Hopefully your post will prevent others from buying from this company - (you might want to mention that to a "higher up" in the company).  Also sounds like a bad case of "misrepresentation" with regard to the number of items in stock.  Did they offer to reimburse you the additional money you paid for expedited shipping?  I live in the country so I must order many items through the mail, but I hate to do it.....seems like the companys are getting worse to deal with on a daily basis.  Good luck.......
Buffalo

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 07:11:49 PM »
enchant,

I had a couple of orders with instawares where things got messed up but I kept on top of them until the orders were straightened out. I have used them many times before because they have one of the largest and diverse collection of pizza items, with good brand names, and their prices are lower than most. And because I could buy most of what I needed at one time and one place, I saved on shipping charges. Interestingly, the items I ordered came in several shipments, most likely because they were shipped from different locations.

Peter

Offline enchant

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 09:41:19 PM »
Supposedly they're going to send one from a different warehouse tomorrow.  I was almost hoping that they couldn't find one, because I kind of think I could just make one myself if my local lumber shop carries that sort of wood.  I'm not terribly handy at woodworking but it's not like I'm trying to build a bureau here...
--pat--

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 10:17:18 PM »
I've used them and had no problems.
                                                           DM
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline kling

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 10:22:11 PM »
I bought a 16x17" peel from Instawares and was also underwhelmed by the shipping time.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 10:38:49 PM »
I've ordered a lot from them, but have never, ever received anything promptly. It seems they do a lot of drop-shipping from the manufacturer to the customer. I might expect this on large items, but they seem to do it often on smaller ones. I currently have 2 orders in their system and whenever I call to get a status, I get a different answer. Their online "order status" has rarely returned info of value.

Bill/SFNM

Offline enchant

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 06:24:40 AM »
Perhaps my needs are a little too small-time for them.  If I was buying $1000 worth of stuff and was saving $200 by buying it there, it might be worth the wait, but I'm used to having something shipped out by the following day, and if there is going to be a wait for some reason, I get an email notifying me.  I guess it's just a matter of having the proper expectations.
--pat--

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 09:00:04 AM »
I have had the same experience.  It takes them weeks, even months, to fill some orders, and they always send the order piecemeal. 

I ordered some peel hangers LAST MONTH and requested "expedited shipping."  I called on Monday, and they are only shipping it today.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 11:34:44 AM »
I had a similar problem with the restaurant source.net

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 12:44:28 PM »
Enchant,

I feel your pain from an order I recently placed with Instawares myself, so I must vent too. I ordered 4 cafe chairs for my place. I ordered them 2/13, the rep had stated they were in stock and would be shipped in a couple of days. Well, 8 WEEKS to the day I received my chairs. Here is the kicker, Two of the chairs were damaged when I received them >:( >:( >:(. Come to find out after several phone calls, they were never in stock, and had to be constructed by their supplier.

I feel a courtesy call should have been in order to at least give me the option as to wether I wanted to wait 2 months for my chairs. They have definitely lost me as a customer, but for some reason I feel they really don't care ???

Oh well, thanks, I feel much better now!
jag

jag

Offline rob0809

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 09:12:01 PM »
I wish I had read this before I ordered my peel and pan.  I received the peel but it was cracked.  The packaging it was in was open so when I picked it up it just fell out.  I don't know if the pizza pan was in with it or not.  An email to them has gone unanswered.  Needless to say, I will not be buying from them again.

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 01:34:02 AM »
When I order peels from American Metalcraft it does take a bit of time to get them, maybe two weeks.  And I always find a damaged item or two.  I'm not sure how instawares sells the peels from American Metalcraft so cheap.  Maybe I need to call American Metalcraft and have them adjust my pricing.  Maybe if you buy a couple thousands of them you get a good deal.
-JP-

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 09:07:44 AM »
I have had the same experience.  It takes them weeks, even months, to fill some orders, and they always send the order piecemeal. 

I ordered some peel hangers LAST MONTH and requested "expedited shipping."  I called on Monday, and they are only shipping it today.

OK, so it's two weeks later.  Not only have I not received the peel hangers I ordered but they STILL haven't shipped it.  And they can't tell me when they wills ship it.

I'm through with Instawares.  Their selection and prices are good, but their shipping and customer service are VERY POOR.  Low prices and great selection mean nothing if you don't actually GET the product you are buying.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 10:17:09 AM »
So I called Instawares back and found out that the peel hangers I ordered are BACKLOGGED TWO WEEKS!

I cancelled my order.  They offered to refund the price of the peel hangers, but NOT the expedited shipping I paid.

I had to beat it out of them.  They were prepared to keep the $6 I paid for expedited shipping unless I made them refund it.

Offline enchant

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 11:03:41 AM »
They were prepared to keep the $6 I paid for expedited shipping unless I made them refund it.

That's totally absurd on so many levels. I think they're unclear on the concept of "expedited".
--pat--

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 06:13:16 PM »
Hmmm, doesn't look good.  I just placed an order with them a couple of days ago.  It's a good thing I'm not in a rush.

Offline pietradoro

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 06:16:07 PM »
Do not order from Instawares under any circumstance.  There is a ton of negative reports all over the internet about them, something I discovered after (my bad) ordering some new wooden peels from them.  Here's the horror story:

I paid for expedited shipping.  After a week and no peels, I called to inquire.  I was told it was shipped, and that I would receive my tracking numbers that same day.  Nothing.  I waited another week and called again.  I was told it was shipped and that I would receive my tracking numbers.  I waited another week and suggested that the reason I never received the tracking numbers is because, in spite of what I had been told, the peels were never shipped.  After a long hold while the CSR checked with the warehouse, I was told that I was unfortunately correct, that the items were never shipped.  I was steamed.  I demanded a refund, which they promised, but said it would take two billing cycles.  What a joke, though I did receive an email cancellation of the refund, with which I will hammer them if I don't get the refund after two months! Then, to ice the cake, after nearly five weeks, the peels arrived at my front door by UPS ground.  Geesh.

Offline hungry one

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 01:46:10 AM »
I deal with hendricks,these people sell kitchenaid

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 07:06:49 PM »
Hmmm, doesn't look good.  I just placed an order with them a couple of days ago.  It's a good thing I'm not in a rush.

Well, overall not bad.  Pretty similar to my other experiences with Instawares, actually.  They had two of my three items in stock, and got them to me about as quickly as possible.  Still no word on the 3rd, but it's not critical.

pizzapan