Author Topic: Tonight's Pie  (Read 74672 times)

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
Re: Tonight's Pie
« Reply #260 on: February 01, 2015, 05:52:26 PM »
Made some pizza for a visiting friend. New oven; so I was worried about reaching the temperature that my old reliable used to hit. I came up with the easiest temperature hack ever. I found the heat sensor clipped to the oven wall. I unclipped it and slid it out through the stovetop. With the sensor now on the outside, the oven (still a bottom gas broiler) never shuts off. The heat was as good as, if not better than, the old oven. Here's a pic.

Edit: Just for the record, this is GM Better for Bread flour, 68% hydration, and a 5-day rest in the cooler.  Found some great tomatoes by chance.  I was at Super WalMart, and they had Wild Oats organic crushed tomatoes for $1.49 a can.  I figured nothing to lose and grabbed two.  Opened one can to taste it and see if it was worth using on my pizza.  Sweet and mild.  Really delicious.  Made one of my best sauces ever.  Also, after going all the way over 70 percent on hydration, I was losing oven spring and manageability.  I felt that I had passed the point of diminishing returns; so I dialed it back to 68.  No oil.  Glad I did.  Not only was the dough easier to manage at every stage, but the oven spring was right where I want it, and the crust was firm and chewy but tender.   Glad I ventured off the beaten path with hydration and oil because now I know what's optimal for me.

Happy Super Bowl watching!

-  GB  :chef:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:51:40 PM by Glutenboy »
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #261 on: February 04, 2015, 08:56:16 PM »
Frome one "boy"  to another, that is a pie of beauty!!!

Can anyone compare FM FS to this Better for Bread flour, especially for multi-day CF. Does it develop beautiful complex flavors like B for B ?

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #262 on: February 05, 2015, 03:53:52 PM »
Thanks for the compliment, JPB.  Here's the same ingredients with a nine-day-old dough and better temperature control on the bake.  This was fantastic.

Edit:  Jersey, to answer your question, I've never used GMFS, but I've had pizzas that I knew were made with it at Luna Pizza in Simsbury CT, which was founded by an ex-Grimaldi's pizzaiolo.  Similar character, but hard to compare without firsthand experience or at least a side-by-side comparison.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:59:14 PM by Glutenboy »

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #263 on: February 05, 2015, 04:07:26 PM »
Thanks gb..

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #264 on: February 09, 2015, 03:08:36 AM »
Have you ever tried Mozza? The crumb of your pies and the micro blisters on your crust remind me of Mozza's pizzas...

This is what 70 percent looks like at 4 days old.  Same ingredients minus the Boar's Head mozzarella.  Delicious.

Offline bc5000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2015, 11:50:58 PM »
I made a couple dough balls using the OP's recipe. I weighed everything. I used All Trumps High Gluten flour. Did everything exactly like the instructions said but it never has shown any sign of rising. It's now been in the fridge 3 days.

I have the dough in Ziplock plastic bowls and there never has been any gas build up. I've made dough for thin and crispy and I can't keep the lid from popping off.

I would make another batch but I don't know of anything that I could do different.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #266 on: February 18, 2015, 09:39:39 AM »
bc5000,

I wouldn't give up just yet on the dough. Glutenboy's recipe calls for a small amount of yeast and the dough ball weight) is on the small side and can cool down very quickly once it is placed in the refrigerator. Also, if the water temperature that was used to make the dough was on the cold side, that can also slow down the fermentation rate. It is also possible that the dough did rise some but was not noticeable to the eye. You can see the progression of the rise when I made a dough using Glutenboy's recipe at Reply 78 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7761.msg72399#msg72399. In that case, the dough went out to eight days. See, also, the last paragraph of Reply 88 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7761.msg72459;topicseen#msg72459.

Peter

Offline bc5000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #267 on: February 18, 2015, 10:17:43 AM »
The water I used was on the cool side. We'll see what happens when I go to cook one in a couple days.

Offline rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
« Reply #268 on: March 05, 2015, 02:43:44 PM »
Can anyone compare FM FS to this Better for Bread flour, especially for multi-day CF. Does it develop beautiful complex flavors like B for B ?
Almost good timing. I just put a glutenboy batch using FS into the fridge last night. I bought a bag of BfB yesterday and plan on making another batch either tomorrow night or the day after. I should know in a week.

fwiw, I used KABF before FS. I found FS to be more forgiving. (Elasticity and a tough, leathery bite.) It turned out that my old mixer was bashing my mixes to smithereens in a fraction of the time called for to mix batches. That "fix" had a much bigger affect on my crusts than any flour ever did.  A nominal effect is about the most I'm expecting out of this BfB test.
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #269 on: March 05, 2015, 03:46:09 PM »
Thanks rparker..I look forward to the results of the comparison.

GB,  made a couple of your pies a week or so ago, and though no photographic proof exists, I can tell you they were delicious..it's a great recipe. 

Offline rparker

« Reply #270 on: March 10, 2015, 02:01:50 PM »
I did my FS and BfB tests today and Sunday. Each mix was 2-balls in the KA-600 mixer, .090 TF factor and 61% hydration. Both were baked on a Blackstone. I did over bake Sunday's.

This formulation likes water. Both bakes showed me 61% hydration was too low. 

I will revert back to a change I made when having mixer issues last December, which was to drop salt to 2.0% (IIRC) . This formulation needs the salt for strength, especially as time goes on. I would not drop much. One more thing I don't know is the effect on salt that increasing hydration has.

OK, so the winner for me is FS, but it's such a close call. The BfB batch had more oven spring inside of the oven rings, across the center of the pie. it cost me a tiny bit of the crunch layer and a tiny bit of the soft, savory layer of the crust. The outer rings, fwiw, were bigger on the FS.

That's also how minimal the difference was. The flavor was close to the same. Just a little bit different texture which was felt during the chew and the crunch. The BfB was a bit more leathery. It's very possible that I might be able to adjust mixing time a little bit on the BfB and come out closer. I'll try it again. I'd rather use BfB than have to order and go get the 50lb bag of FS. 10 miles one way and no shipping costs, so not that big a deal. That fact that I would do it right now if I had to get flour is probably telling.

Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #271 on: March 10, 2015, 04:04:10 PM »
Thanks very much for doing those tests..good info to have

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #272 on: March 15, 2015, 04:15:34 AM »
These pics are a 12-day, 69-percent, no-oil GB dough.  Great extensibility, no tearing, and lots of flavor.  Pardon my dirty fingernails.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 04:17:58 AM by Glutenboy »

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #273 on: March 16, 2015, 01:27:38 PM »
 :drool:

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #274 on: March 17, 2015, 04:10:30 PM »
When I posted the last batch of pics, I hadn't noticed the new activity on the thread.  RParker, thanks for giving the GB dough some attention.  I've always wanted to try FS flour, but haven't gotten around to it.  After all is said and done, is it worth going out of my way to get some for a side-by-side comparison? I'm very happy with the way the BFB is treating me, but I don't want to avoid being adventurous.  Pics of your results would be much appreciated too if you have any.

- GB  :chef:

Offline rparker

« Reply #275 on: March 18, 2015, 08:34:54 AM »
glutenboy, I've made your formulation a bunch of times. The recent two batches were the first I've made of it since replacing my 90's era dough mangling and ruining KA machine. They came out fine. stretched fine and the bite was good. Alas, no pics. I'll be making more of this, for sure. The flavor and wide window was always a hit with me. I'll probably make another batch using FS in a week or two. I've got other experiments in the pipeline, but definitely want to do another glutenboy batch using FS.

One such experiment is in the fridge. I recently made an order to KA and got a couple bags of the KASL. I put up two balls of the glutenboy formula two nights ago. Probably end up being Friday's lunch. This might be my first glutenboy with oil.

I'll take some shots of the next glutenboy with FS.

Have you ever used sugar in this formulation? I'm also conjuring up a hybrid. For this hybrid, I think I'll actually need some sugar.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #276 on: March 18, 2015, 10:15:21 AM »
I don't use sugar. That's mostly because  1) those old NY places I'm trying to emulate don't usually use it and  2) with my oven setup, I don't have trouble getting color on the crust. But if I did, I'd certainly consider it.  Can't wait to see what you're making.

- GB
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 02:20:06 PM by Glutenboy »

Offline JeffreyH

• pizza pizza pizza
« Reply #277 on: March 25, 2015, 08:26:19 PM »
Hey Glutenboy....I'm sure it says in this thread somewhere....but what's your oven temp, pizza cooking surface and rack position?   I'm not getting quite the nice blacks and browns you're getting on crust...both on top and underneath. I'm still tinkering with position.  Thanks.

Offline rparker

« Reply #278 on: Yesterday at 08:27:17 AM »
I don't use sugar. That's mostly because  1) those old NY places I'm trying to emulate don't usually use it and  2) with my oven setup, I don't have trouble getting color on the crust. But if I did, I'd certainly consider it.  Can't wait to see what you're making.

- GB
I enjoy the added layer of flavor from sugar on other formulas. I'm dialing in the amount. Your formulation does not need it. There's a level of sweetness on it's own. (Sweetness is used for lack of a better word.)

The idea I'm working on got delayed a bit, but will probably find it's way into the mixer this weekend. It's more of a curiosity. A "What if?" moment. Two formulas I'm quite fond of is yours and a sour dough. I take the starter out at an earlier point than normal after the feeding so that acidity level is lower, leaving  nice, rich flavor. It's good at 1-day old and handles the fridge well enough to be very good up to around 5-days. At 5 or 6 days, the SD kicks in a little strong for how I like my pizza. The texture is outstanding, though. Different, but outstanding.

We all know what yours will do. The thought to add some IDY and mix it like yours came to mind. The SD is too extensive, so it can certainly handle the salt increase. Oil and hydration levels will work, too. I have no idea what will take over at various stages. I do know others hedge their bets with the starter by adding IDY, so it's been done. What I might have to do is figure out a way for the wild yeast to stay alive longer and not turn into an acidic blob.

So that's why the question of sugar. My assumption is that the right sugar will keep the SD wild yeast alive without sending the IDY into orbit. I've got the SD book by Ed Wood. Hopefully the answer lays within.

I do not expect this to succeed, but I don't learn if I don't try. Besides, happy accidents happen. That's what made me chase the rabbit down the hole after reduced acidity. Never would have known about it had been for a failed experiment.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #279 on: Yesterday at 08:34:46 AM »
GB,

On those beautiful pies in #272, I'm drooling over the crumb shot (actually all of it) ..There is some oil brushed on the rim,  even though it's not formula oil..am I correct?  Either way, it's a WOW!

Rparker---Bunny pizza???  ;)

pizzapan