Author Topic: Turkey's Pizza Journal  (Read 429 times)

Offline TurkeyOnRye

Turkey's Pizza Journal
« on: September 06, 2016, 12:04:05 AM »
This thread is intended to serve as a public pizza journal to allow myself to learn by reflecting on my mistakes and successes as I progress. Comments, feedback, and discussions are very welcome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Journal 1:

Notes: Standard recipe, 24 hours ferment. Preheated on max, with broil. ~10" pie. Cheeses broken off in very large chunks to control browning. 6 minutes on second-to-bottom rack with stone, moved to second-to-top rack for additional minute (no stone). Belgioioso fresh mozzarella, Tillamook medium cheddar, and Sarvecchio parmasan post-bake.

Impressions: Kind of boring flavor, except when biting into charred bits. Needs more char/leoparding. Needs longer ferment time. Uniform browning suggests a faster bake is necessary. Try bottom-most rack and top-most rack next bake. Shoot for 6 minutes total bake time.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:28:50 PM by TurkeyOnRye »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Turkey's Pizza Journal
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 08:53:51 AM »
That pie looks pretty good. You may already be at the point where it's difficult to improve flavor and texture much without a stone/steel. If you like char, steel may be your best bet.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TurkeyOnRye

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 12:49:54 PM »
That pie looks pretty good. You may already be at the point where it's difficult to improve flavor and texture much without a stone/steel. If you like char, steel may be your best bet.

Thank you. I currently have a stone and a sheet pan that I've been using. My plan is to get a good quality steel in the coming months, as well as perfect the dough-making process.

Offline TurkeyOnRye

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 10:27:44 PM »
Journal 2:

Notes: 12" crust, GB recipe, 48-hours ferment. The dough was pulled out of fridge and allowed to come up to temp for 2 hours. Shaped, and allowed to rest for about 20 minutes. Baked on bottom rack for 7 minutes on pre-heated steel baking sheet, followed by broil on top rack for 1 minute. Large chunks of Belgioioso fresh mozzarella, red wax gouda, followed by large round pepperoni, round salami, Italian sausage crumbles, black olives, yellow onion slices, sharp cheddar, and Sarvecchio parmesan post-bake.

Impressions: Excellent char on bottom. In fact the char is much more pronounced in real life than in the photos. Decent color on top. Good flavor, largely supported by the toppings. I love a good ration of meat with a side of onion and olives. Onions tasted spectacular this round. Likely due to the broiling, nice caramelization. Hoping for increased flavor in the crust with a longer ferment. Will perform another go tomorrow with a 72-hour ferment dough.

Very slightly tough. Not terribly noticable, but more tough than my emergency dough with higher yeast content, and added honey and oil. Is this typical?

My biggest challenge is improving the crumb. I'm looking to expand the nooks. I've been trying to add additional gas to the crust by allowing the dough to rest for several minutes after shaping. Not sure if this is helping or not. Are there other ways to inflate the crust without having to add heat? Is the weight of toppings suppressing inflation? I will attempt to do a minute less on the bottom rack, and a minute more on the top rack next time.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:55:52 PM by TurkeyOnRye »

Offline TurkeyOnRye

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 11:57:40 PM »
Journal 3:

Maple sausage Pizza

Notes: This was a 12" 72-hour GB (Glutenboy) dough that was allowed to warm up at room temperature for 2 hours, was shaped (no deliberate deflation techniques before shaping), then allowed to rest for 30 minutes prior to topping. Dough was topped with maple syrup-sweetened red sauce, maple sausage, black forest ham, caramelized yellow onions, Belgioioso fresh mozzarella, red wax gouda, Tillamook medium cheddar, and Sarvecchio parmesan post-bake. The crust was glazed with maple syrup after spending 7 minutes on a pre-heated steel baking sheet on the bottom rack and just over 1 minute on the top rack to broil, still on the baking sheet. Maple syrup was drizzled over the top of the pizza post-bake.

Impressions: This pizza turned out to be a nice change of pace. In fact, for how many things went wrong during this bake, it turned out to be a decent pizza.

Several flaws stand out:

(1) the bottom burned. There is a fine line between charring a pizza and burning it. This pizza crossed the line.

(2) the bottom of the crust was too bubbly. In the photo of the crumb, you can see that there are deep pockets on the bottom of the crust.

(3) the dough formulation was not quite right for this particular kind of pizza. For pizza with a breakfast twist like this, you really want the crust to be reminiscent of waffles. That means sweet, crisp, and very tender on the inside. I think adding sugar and oil to the dough would help in this respect.

(4) too many toppings. The original vision for this pizza was a simple cheese and sausage with a maple drizzle. I think sticking with that vision would have produced a pizza with a more distinct and well-characterized flavor profile.

(5) gouda's gotta go. The red wax gouda has added nothing desirable to my pizzas...it just doesn't fit in. It's getting the boot. Perhaps it could try its hand at some cheese and crackers.

These flaws dropped the pizza to a 7 out of 10 score. The draw-backs were significant, but it was obvious that it had real potential.

Solutions:

(1) Remove the pizza from the pan before broiling. Replace sheet with 16" pizza stone/steel.

(2) shape both sides of dough before resting. Rest fewer than 30 minutes next time.

(3) develop a CF dough with sugar and oil. Work from Wolfgang and GB recipes to arrive at something unique with flavor and tenderness.

(4) don't complicate simple ideas. Use fewer toppings next time.

(5) eat remaining gouda, but not on pizza.

(6) get a peel and a 16" stone or steel! So sick of doing budget bakes!

Offline TurkeyOnRye

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 11:04:05 PM »
Journal 4:

Pepperoni and salami Primo Taglio® pizza

This was a 12" slightly oval-shaped pizza using store bought Primo Taglio® Traditional pizza dough. The dough costed $1.50 per ball at a Beaverton Oregon Safeway. Wanted to diversify my dough experience and try out how a store bought dough tastes and behaves in and out of the oven.

Ingredients:
454g Primo Taglio® pizza dough, 60 minutes warm up at room temp.
Boboli® pizza sauce
Lucerne® part-skim pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
Lucerne® pre-shredded parmesan cheese for the edge of the crust
Tillamook® medium cheddar cheese
Salami
pepperoni

Really skimped on the quality of the mozzarella. I of course prefer fresh whole milk mozzarella balls, but I am poor and have to sacrifice quality when necessary. The store had them on sale for $0.99 per 8oz bag, so I couldn't pass that up. The Boboli® pizza sauce I actually really like. Yeah, it's processed and has HFCS, but over the years, I've grown to like it for some reason.

The procedure:

Remove dough from retail bag, place in a well-oiled plastic container (as a side note, I found these awesome plastic containers at the Dollar Tree, and they work great. They're the perfect size for pizza dough balls and the lids have an optional ventilation feature. See photos.), and allow to warm up at room temperature for 60 minutes. Shape dough on aluminum foil, rest 5 minutes, and top. Pizza went into a pre-heated 550 degrees F oven on a pre-heated steel baking sheet (my pseudo-pizza steel). Baked for 7 minutes on bottom rack, then moved to the second-to-top rack for 1 minute (no baking sheet, foil only).

Impressions: This is a good quality dough and behaves closely to my ideal. Good oven spring, very light texture, good flavor. I could have easily cut the dough in half to make two pizzas, but decided instead to make one large pizza with a thick rim and medium thickness crust. So, this was certainly not a pizza I would call New York style.

Flaws:

(1) Too much char on the bottom of the crust. I should have paid better attention to my journal entries.

(2) Although very tender, there is a paradoxical toughness that occurs when attempting to bite all the way through the rim. Once my teeth came together in the bite, there was more resistance than I cared for in the process of "biting it off." This was slight. Overall, the texture was still quite good.

(3) it wasn't a dough I made!

Solutions:

(1) Try 6 minutes on bottom rack, followed by 2 minutes on third-to-top rack.

(2) It's not really a problem I can fix, as it is not a home-made dough. I will shortly begin working on a revamped homemade dough recipe.

(3) Begin working on new dough.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:22:27 AM by TurkeyOnRye »

Offline TurkeyOnRye

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 01:58:08 AM »
Journal 5:

Pepperoni and salami Primo Taglio pizza #2

This was a 12" slightly oval-shaped pizza using store bought Primo Taglio® Traditional pizza dough.

Ingredients:
Boboli® pizza sauce
Tillamook® medium cheddar cheese, some used for edge of the crust.
Salami
pepperoni

Procedure: Allow dough to warm up at room temperature for 60 minutes. Shaped, topped, and baked in 550 degrees F oven on pre-heated steel baking sheet for 6 minutes on bottom rack, then moved to third-to-top rack for 2 minutes according to previous journal entry suggestion.

Impressions:

Significant improvement in amount of char on bottom of crust (a decrease from last bake). Significant improvement in oven spring and crumb pattern. Very airy light and airy.

Potential improvements:

The bottom char was very good and imparted good flavor to the crust without making it taste burned. Potential improvement may be achieved with some more balance. Next time, try 7 minutes on second-to-bottom rack and 1 minute on third-to-top rack. Cleaning the baking sheet may help eliminate hot and cold spots.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:30:33 AM by TurkeyOnRye »

Offline TurkeyOnRye

« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:46:31 AM »
Journal 6:

Pepperoni Primo Taglio pizza #2

This was a 12" slightly oval-shaped pizza using store bought Primo Taglio® Traditional pizza dough.

Ingredients:
Boboli® pizza sauce
Tillamook® medium cheddar cheese, some used for edge of the crust.
pepperoni

Procedure: Dough was frozen and allowed to warm up at room temperature for about 3 hours in an oiled container. Dough was shaped, topped, and put into a 550 degrees F oven for 6 minutes on the second-to-bottom rack on a pre-heated steel baking sheet and moved to the third-to-top rack for 2 minutes.

Impressions: Very good char on the bottom crust. Light and airy rim, almost as much as #5. Good quality crumb, decent oven spring. Crust was cooked through, but could be improved in terms of doneness and coloration on top crust. Try 5.5 minutes on the bottom rack followed by 2 minutes on second-to-top rack.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:52:54 AM by TurkeyOnRye »