Author Topic: Essen1's NY-style pizza project  (Read 187882 times)

Offline Pizza Shark

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Essen1's NY-style pizza project
« Reply #1575 on: February 29, 2016, 06:48:37 PM »
Hbolte... If that pic was from Costco can only imagine.  No one... I mean one serves a slice of pizza with a plastic fork to anyone under the age of 70!  I can only imagine what that garbage must have tasted like!         

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1576 on: February 29, 2016, 07:48:21 PM »
After your post, I had to go to COSTCO and try for myself. Although it didn't look too terrible, the few bites I tried were not good. No surprise there after the other comments. There was just something about the dough that was not very good.

Well, at least yours was moderately cheesed and not total overkill like on my slice.  ;D
Mike

I talked to a calzone for fifteen minutes last night before I realized it was just an introverted pizza. I wish all my acquaintances were so tasty.  - Jarod Kintz

Offline edward05

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1577 on: March 27, 2016, 01:46:41 AM »
My latest creation...the perfect NY-style slice!

Hey there what is your current and up to date receipt?

Thanks

Really like the look of this reminds me of pizza i used to eat from back home

Any chance on recipe ?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8093.msg393798#msg393798
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 01:56:05 AM by edward05 »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1578 on: March 27, 2016, 03:20:31 PM »
Hey there what is your current and up to date receipt?

Thanks

Really like the look of this reminds me of pizza i used to eat from back home

Any chance on recipe ?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8093.msg393798#msg393798

Edward,

The dough formula for the link you referenced is this one here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8093.msg380433#msg380433

We're in the process of moving so my current formula and all the notes have been packed up already and is sitting in storage right now. But if you look through this thread, starting at Page 55 or so, you'll find it.

Hope that helps.
Mike

I talked to a calzone for fifteen minutes last night before I realized it was just an introverted pizza. I wish all my acquaintances were so tasty.  - Jarod Kintz

Offline elephant man

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1579 on: April 04, 2016, 12:13:36 PM »
Leaving Mill Valley, Boy does that bring back memories. I was stationed at Mt. Tamalpias when it was used as an Air Force Radar base in 1966/67. Even lived in Mill Valley after that and trying to commute over the Golden Gate Bridge convinced me to find a home near the work place. Fixed that in 1980 when I became a contractor and worked from home. Have a recent office in New Jersey that has an apartment above the warehouse, I'll always remember the Golden Gate commute.

A big shout out to all your 64 pages, read them all and want to Thank You for all your contributions to Pizzamaking.com.

Dave

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1580 on: April 04, 2016, 04:42:49 PM »
Leaving Mill Valley, Boy does that bring back memories. I was stationed at Mt. Tamalpias when it was used as an Air Force Radar base in 1966/67. Even lived in Mill Valley after that and trying to commute over the Golden Gate Bridge convinced me to find a home near the work place. Fixed that in 1980 when I became a contractor and worked from home. Have a recent office in New Jersey that has an apartment above the warehouse, I'll always remember the Golden Gate commute.

A big shout out to all your 64 pages, read them all and want to Thank You for all your contributions to Pizzamaking.com.

Dave

Dave,

Commuting across the GGB these days is a total PITA. Too much congestion and traffic.

The radar station is still there and visible, I believe. I have a nice view of Mt. Tam from my place currently but that will change at some point after our dispute is settled with our landlord.

Glad you enjoyed this thread.
Mike

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #1581 on: April 19, 2016, 09:24:14 AM »
I'm giving this another go in a weeks time but I want to try a 7 day Cold Ferment - basically it's Essens Formula with Fazzari's method (Stretch & Fold + Late Balling)

Let me know if this formula is good to go - You'll notice 2% sugar - I often get poor browning on the top of the pie so hopefully this will help.

Flour (100%):
Water (65%):
IDY (0.4%):
Salt (2.5%):
Olive Oil (2%):
Sugar (2%):
Total (171.9%):
Single Ball:
280.76 g  |  9.9 oz | 0.62 lbs
182.49 g  |  6.44 oz | 0.4 lbs
1.12 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.37 tsp | 0.12 tbsp
7.02 g | 0.25 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.26 tsp | 0.42 tbsp
5.62 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.25 tsp | 0.42 tbsp
5.62 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.41 tsp | 0.47 tbsp
482.63 g | 17.02 oz | 1.06 lbs | TF = 0.075262
241.31 g | 8.51 oz | 0.53 lbs
Regards Mo

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1582 on: April 19, 2016, 12:52:40 PM »
I'm giving this another go in a weeks time but I want to try a 7 day Cold Ferment - basically it's Essens Formula with Fazzari's method (Stretch & Fold + Late Balling)

Let me know if this formula is good to go - You'll notice 2% sugar - I often get poor browning on the top of the pie so hopefully this will help.

Flour (100%):
Water (65%):
IDY (0.4%):
Salt (2.5%):
Olive Oil (2%):
Sugar (2%):
Total (171.9%):
Single Ball:
280.76 g  |  9.9 oz | 0.62 lbs
182.49 g  |  6.44 oz | 0.4 lbs
1.12 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.37 tsp | 0.12 tbsp
7.02 g | 0.25 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.26 tsp | 0.42 tbsp
5.62 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.25 tsp | 0.42 tbsp
5.62 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.41 tsp | 0.47 tbsp
482.63 g | 17.02 oz | 1.06 lbs | TF = 0.075262
241.31 g | 8.51 oz | 0.53 lbs

I'd drop the yeast a little, perhaps down to 0.2% or even less. Also, keep in mind that a higher-hydration dough ferments at a faster rate than a lower-hydration one. Other than that, I think the formula looks good.

Give it try and see how it turns out.
Mike

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #1583 on: April 20, 2016, 04:07:45 AM »
Maybe I should go with 62% hydration. I'll drop the yeast to 0.2%.
Regards Mo

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1584 on: April 20, 2016, 02:19:10 PM »
Maybe I should go with 62% hydration. I'll drop the yeast to 0.2%.

62% should work.

I have never really done a cold fermentation that long (longest is usually 3 days tops) so you might have to experiment a little and see what works best for you.
Mike

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #1585 on: Yesterday at 05:05:55 AM »
Hi Guys

I'm doing a 2 Day Cold Fermentation tonight - Dough will be made around 9PM - left in the fridge up until tomorrow 9PM when I will reball it and then use it on Wednesday about 6PM or so.

Is 0.5% yeast OK? My room temp at this time of year is about 22 Degrees Celcius

Thanks
Regards Mo

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1586 on: Yesterday at 02:55:08 PM »
Hi Guys

I'm doing a 2 Day Cold Fermentation tonight - Dough will be made around 9PM - left in the fridge up until tomorrow 9PM when I will reball it and then use it on Wednesday about 6PM or so.

Is 0.5% yeast OK? My room temp at this time of year is about 22 Degrees Celcius

Thanks

PM,

At .5% yeast you may have to punch the dough down half way through the CF, then reshape and continue.
Mike

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #1587 on: Yesterday at 06:17:47 PM »
Thanks - that is the plan. Make the dough and then straight into the fridge for 24 hours - remove and ball the dough (I don't know if it's the same as punching it down) then back in the fridge for another 18 hours before ready to use.
Regards Mo

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1588 on: Yesterday at 07:11:49 PM »
Thanks - that is the plan. Make the dough and then straight into the fridge for 24 hours - remove and ball the dough (I don't know if it's the same as punching it down) then back in the fridge for another 18 hours before ready to use.

PM,

Balling and punching down or degassing the dough is not the same.

During fermentation the yeast releases gas which builds up inside the dough and is what makes it rise. Too much yeast and it ferments at a faster rate with more gas development and it would need to be punched down (degassed) then reshaped and back into the fridge.

Balling is simply dividing the dough into individual pieces, shaping them into a tight ball which then will ultimately be shaped into a pizza skin.
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1589 on: Yesterday at 07:25:42 PM »
Working with a semolina dough again.  ;D

Trusted percentage of 20% Semo/80% Power HG with a 64% hydration. I'll be baking in a different home oven at a family member's house which only goes to 525 and doesn't get nearly as hot as my own, even after a 90 min preheat.

So I made some changes to the dough to get some decent browning going and added 2% sugar instead of my usual 1% in addition to the 2% LDMP. 48-hr CF, with the last 8 hours balled.

Dough was very smooth and not sticky or had an overly wet feeling to it when I checked on it after 12 hours. More on this tomorrow after the bake.

Mike

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #1590 on: Yesterday at 07:30:23 PM »

Mike, do you get condensation in your containers during the CF? 
Jeff

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1591 on: Yesterday at 07:33:11 PM »
Mike, do you get condensation in your containers during the CF?

I do but I don't worry about it. It has never negatively affected my doughs.
Mike

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #1592 on: Yesterday at 07:52:26 PM »
Mike, with the two stone set up. How long is your pre heat?

I need to get back into NY Style pies once I get a larger stone.

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1593 on: Yesterday at 07:53:01 PM »
I do but I don't worry about it. It has never negatively affected my doughs.

Same here......

Anxious to see this bake Mike......
Bob

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1594 on: Yesterday at 07:57:38 PM »
Mike, with the two stone set up. How long is your pre heat?

I need to get back into NY Style pies once I get a larger stone.

MR,

I did a test bake last week and the oven hovered around 550 and the bottom stone wouldn't get past 570 give or take a few, hence the adjustments in the dough formula. Pre-heat then was about 90 mins.

I might give it a little more time tomorrow and see what happens.
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1595 on: Yesterday at 07:58:04 PM »
Same here......

Anxious to see this bake Mike......

Me, too, Bob.  ;D
Mike

wordpress