Author Topic: More flavour in dough  (Read 28871 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: More flavour in dough
« Reply #800 on: August 06, 2014, 04:03:15 PM »
Well...Ok Norma. But whatever you do please don`t hook up with that Rocco dude.  :-D
p.s.  you are a human pizza making machine girl !   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #801 on: August 06, 2014, 04:20:13 PM »
Well...Ok Norma. But whatever you do please don`t hook up with that Rocco dude.  :-D
p.s.  you are a human pizza making machine girl !   :chef:

Bob,

I never would hook up with Rocco.  He would drive me nuts.  Just a few minutes talking to him almost drives me nuts. 

I am not really a pizza making machine.  I am still trying to figure out where that strong bread smell came from yesterday when baking the pizzas.  ???

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #802 on: August 06, 2014, 04:27:44 PM »
Is there a new stand near you baking bread?  >:D
Let`s hope and see if you smell it again next week with this new dough recipe .
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #803 on: August 06, 2014, 05:20:11 PM »
Is there a new stand near you baking bread?  >:D
Let`s hope and see if you smell it again next week with this new dough recipe .

Bob,

No, there is not a new stand near me that is baking bread.  Michael's Breads http://michaelshomestylebreads.com/ did open yesterday in my area (a lot farther up from me), but they bake at their bakery and bring their products to market in plastic bags, or plastic wrap to sell.  Michael's Breads were closer to me a few years ago but the owner was getting older and then stopped at Root's.  Now Michael's Breads have a new owner and they just came back to market.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #804 on: August 06, 2014, 05:42:31 PM »
The salesman from where I purchase the cheddar I use for my boardwalk style pizzas stopped by my pizza stand yesteday morning when I first arrived at market.  I don't purchase anything else but the cheddar from this distributor.  The salesman gave me a price and product list of what the distributor sells for pizzerias.  The cheddar I use is not on the list.  What I found interesting was I asked the salesman how many NY style pizzerias use cheddar in a blend for their NY style pizzas.  The salesman told me a lot of pizzerias use cheddar in the blend.

Norma

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #805 on: August 06, 2014, 06:12:47 PM »
  I am still trying to figure out where that strong bread smell came from yesterday when baking the pizzas.  ???

Norma

Norma:  What kind of venting do you have?  I think I remember a direct pipe vs. a hood?  We have a large hood with fire suppression and return air.  When it all is running it sucks most of the smell out but sometimes it doesn't.  People come from the other end of the school and say they smell the pizza or cookies, or whatever it is we are cooking.  Walter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #806 on: August 06, 2014, 06:34:28 PM »
Norma:  What kind of venting do you have?  I think I remember a direct pipe vs. a hood?  We have a large hood with fire suppression and return air.  When it all is running it sucks most of the smell out but sometimes it doesn't.  People come from the other end of the school and say they smell the pizza or cookies, or whatever it is we are cooking.  Walter

Walter,

I only have a direct pipe for the deck oven.  I wonder why your large hood with fire suppression and return air sometimes sucks most of the smell out but sometimes it doesn't. 

I had posted before that I really could not smell the pies baking when I am at my stand unless I left and then came back.  I only really smelled the cheese before baking the pizzas though and not the crust.

Norma

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #807 on: August 06, 2014, 06:48:26 PM »
Walter,

I only have a direct pipe for the deck oven.  I wonder why your large hood with fire suppression and return air sometimes sucks most of the smell out but sometimes it doesn't. 

I had posted before that I really could not smell the pies baking when I am at my stand unless I left and then came back.  I only really smelled the cheese before baking the pizzas though and not the crust.

Norma

I am no expert on exhaust systems.  We leave our 2 doors open and it generally fills the school with smells (good for sales :) ) but like you, I don't notice the smells much inside but people coming in say they smell it real good. When I said it normally doesn't smell I meant I normally smell very faint odors of what is cooking.  I do smell bread and lemon cookies real strong(use lemon oil) in the room.   I also smell that unique cake yeast oder when we bake emergency doughes.  One guy came in and said he smelled pizza in the parking lot.  It must have to do with the wind direction and speed.  I remember when Larry came in our room the first thing he said was - it smells like a pizzeria.  I only had the ovens on and nothing baked yet.  We probably need a scientist to figure this one out. I hope all is well with  your venting system and not backing up??  Walter
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:52:00 PM by waltertore »

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #808 on: August 06, 2014, 06:53:21 PM »
The salesman told me a lot of pizzerias use cheddar in the blend.
Norma
I find that observation interesting!  I started with Motz/Prov  ... now using Motz/Cheddar  and on some american style Motz/Asiago.  In my personal journey I think I have left the Prov behind...

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #809 on: August 06, 2014, 07:23:24 PM »

I am no expert on exhaust systems.  We leave our 2 doors open and it generally fills the school with smells (good for sales :) ) but like you, I don't notice the smells much inside but people coming in say they smell it real good. When I said it normally doesn't smell I meant I normally smell very faint odors of what is cooking.  I do smell bread and lemon cookies real strong(use lemon oil) in the room.   I also smell that unique cake yeast oder when we bake emergency doughes.  One guy came in and said he smelled pizza in the parking lot.  It must have to do with the wind direction and speed.  I remember when Larry came in our room the first thing he said was - it smells like a pizzeria.  I only had the ovens on and nothing baked yet.  We probably need a scientist to figure this one out. I hope all is well with  your venting system and not backing up??  Walter

Walter,

That is very good for your school program that leaving the 2 doors open generally fills the school with great smells.  I can understand that you would smell your bread and lemon cookies baking.  I would also imagine you would smell the chocolate chip cookies baking.  Interesting that you can actually smell the unique cake yeast order when you bake emergency doughs. 

That is truly interesting what Larry had to say when nothing was baking. 

I sure hope nothing is wrong with my vent, but really don't see how much could go wrong with just a vent.  It is only a pipe that vents through the roof.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #810 on: August 06, 2014, 07:25:30 PM »
I find that observation interesting!  I started with Motz/Prov  ... now using Motz/Cheddar  and on some american style Motz/Asiago.  In my personal journey I think I have left the Prov behind...

Dave,

Thanks for posting about your personal journey in cheese blends for pizzas.  Interesting that you left the Provolone behind.  Provolone is one cheese I did not try on pizzas if I recall right. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #811 on: August 11, 2014, 08:34:48 PM »
I took a video today at market showing how I ball the dough balls.  The reason I did that was a member asked me in a PM about how his dough balls should look when they are balled and also about balling techniques.  The member was not sure if he was balling right.  I know different members have different techniques for balling, so the video only shows what I do.  Usually I am faster at balling, but took my time a little today so maybe it can be seen better what I do.  The background noise is the fans running.

Some of the photos just show what the finished dough balls look.  The formulation I am using is below in two photos.  I use a dough scraper to help pick up the dough balls off of the marble because if I would not they dough ball would stick to the marble, and then deform the dough ball.  The dough balls at the end of the balling are somewhat dry on the top from the fans blowing.  The one photo shows what the bottom of the dough ball looks like after it sat until I finished balling the batch.  It was a little dry on top of the dough ball.  There is a photo of another batch of dough that was taken when the dough batch came right out of the mixer, and another photo after the dough batch that was just cut for scaling.  There is also a photo of what dough was left after scaling.  It can be seen at market that there is dryness on top of the dough from the fans.  I save the extra dough for each batch and put it in a plastic bag.  After 3 batches of dough were made it can be seen how the dough (three leftover pieces) relaxes and can be stretched very well.

I am changing my cheese slice prices tomorrow.  They are going up .25 cents.  I had a heck of a time this morning trying to change the price on the cash register.  I did do all of the programming on the cash register when I opened the funnel cake stand and my pizza stand but all I kept getting this morning was errors.  I had to call tech support and it took the tech 25 minutes for him to not get errors.  I guess my mind is going downhill.  :-D

Norma
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:44:58 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #812 on: August 11, 2014, 08:41:50 PM »
The photos to go with the above post.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #813 on: August 11, 2014, 08:43:58 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #814 on: August 12, 2014, 09:34:11 PM »
My granddaughter was my helper today.  She asked me at the end of the evening if she could make a boardwalk style pizza.  I told her to go ahead.  I explained how to open the dough ball, and then she opened it by herself.  She did a good job of opening a dough ball without any thin spots in the skin.  She then dressed the pie by herself.  The only thing I helped her with “hands on” was I took her arm to help her slide the pie into the oven.  She watched her pie and rotated it by herself, and then took it out of the oven to slice it.  I think she did a very good job for her first pizza.  She did much better than I did when I made my first pizzas.  :-D :-[

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #815 on: August 13, 2014, 01:12:42 AM »
Just BEAUTIFUL, and tell her the pizza looks great too :-D You keep the fear of "Norma" in those boys that come a courtin! Tell them you'll beat them with your BIG pizza peel and grind them up for sausage :P

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #816 on: August 13, 2014, 08:43:58 AM »
Just BEAUTIFUL, and tell her the pizza looks great too :-D You keep the fear of "Norma" in those boys that come a courtin! Tell them you'll beat them with your BIG pizza peel and grind them up for sausage :P

jon

Jon,

I will tell my granddaughter what you said.  I think she will get a chuckle about part of what you posted.  I think it is a little to late to tell any boys that I will beat them with with my big pizza peel and then grind them up for sausage if they come a courtin.  :-D She will be 23 next week.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #817 on: August 13, 2014, 10:39:06 AM »
I think I am satisfied with the formulation and bake temperatures I am using for the boardwalk style of pizzas at market.  Each pizza in the course of a days time doesn't look exactly the same in appearance, but that is okay with me.  The appearance of each pizzas during the day might depend on how many times the deck oven doors are opened and shut, how the dough balls are opened, how the pies are rotated in the oven, how the pizzas are sauced and cheesed, how warmed-up the dough balls might be and so forth.  There are a lot of variables that can go into what the same pizzas look like over the course of a day. 

To comment on the .25 cent increase I did yesterday on the cheese slices, no customers complained.

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #818 on: August 13, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
Jon,

I will tell my granddaughter what you said.  I think she will get a chuckle about part of what you posted.  I think it is a little to late to tell any boys that I will beat them with with my big pizza peel and then grind them up for sausage if they come a courtin.  :-D She will be 23 next week.

Norma

NEVER too late.....You keep them boys thinking. My 3 girls are 30, 35 and 38 and 2 are married and their husbands are great guys but I still scare them.....and least they let me think I do! And I'll really watch my granddaughters close, keep the guns loaded I say :-D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #819 on: August 13, 2014, 11:45:08 AM »
NEVER too late.....You keep them boys thinking. My 3 girls are 30, 35 and 38 and 2 are married and their husbands are great guys but I still scare them.....and least they let me think I do! And I'll really watch my granddaughters close, keep the guns loaded I say :-D

jon

Lol Jon!  What you do is really good, but you are a man.  I don't think I could scare many men away.  I have told many of the guys off though when things got to heated with guys and my granddaughter.  :-D

Norma

pizzapan