Author Topic: More flavour in dough  (Read 21991 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: More flavour in dough
« Reply #740 on: July 16, 2014, 03:57:15 PM »
The other experimental dough that I posted about at Reply 730 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30641.msg325353#msg325353 turned out to be a mess.  I had upped the hydration and the oil amount from last week.  That was a huge mistake.  The dough balls were so sticky coming out of the plastic bags that I had to tear each plastic bag and drop the dough balls into the flour.  There also were shaping problems with the dough balls before they became skins.  After shaping the dough balls they did open okay.  Some of the pizzas wanted to stick on the peel.  The final pizzas baked okay but sure were not round.  That is the last time I am trying that formulation.  At least those sticky dough balls gave me more practice in how to open dough balls that are not optimal.   

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #741 on: July 16, 2014, 04:07:47 PM »
Norma,

Were you using the Full Strength flour? If so, I really don't see anything off with your dough formulation. Did you leave the dough balls at room temperature for some time before using? Or maybe your cooling problems sped up the fermentation. Maybe it is the lighting but the top crust coloration looks to me to be on the light side.

Peter

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #742 on: July 16, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
crust looked very white 2 days ago...yesterday looked jus about how she likes it.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #743 on: July 16, 2014, 08:04:55 PM »
Norma,

Were you using the Full Strength flour? If so, I really don't see anything off with your dough formulation. Did you leave the dough balls at room temperature for some time before using? Or maybe your cooling problems sped up the fermentation. Maybe it is the lighting but the top crust coloration looks to me to be on the light side.

Peter

Peter,

Yes, I was using GM Full Strength flour.  I don't know if I added the wrong amount of water or not, but last week the dough batch was not that sticky after it was mixed (the formulation was a little bit different).  Monday was very humid in our area but I don't think that was the cause of the sticky batch because for almost all of the flour in the formulation came from a newly opened bag of flour.  I initially thought why was the dough so sticky, but decided to deal with it.  I moved the dough balls around a lot on Monday when the prep fridge was acting up.  The prep fridge on Tuesday hinged right between 38-40 degrees F.  That is right on the verge of being too hot.  The top crusts on a lot of my whole pizzas look almost that light when I take photos of them under artificial lighting at market.  That is one reason that I am not posting much of the whole pizza photos from market lately.

This is a photo of some of the dough balls in the prep fridge on Tuesday.  Some of the dough balls were in the deli case. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #744 on: July 18, 2014, 10:39:54 AM »
Well I learned some new things about the prep fridge (at market today) when the repairman came to look at why the prep fridge does not want to hold the temperatures okay.  For on thing the prep fridge is not meant to be run over 90 degrees F.  The repairman asked me if I had another container to put in the left back of the prep fridge.  I said I did have an extra container, but I store the extra pepperoni there and don't use the extra container.  The repairman told me the extra container would insulate the top of the prep fridge a lot better.  I knew the top of the prep fridge was not insulated but did not know that the extra container would help to keep the temperatures lower.  The repairman said they he was always taught to tell businesses to use all of the containers on the top of any prep fridge.  He asked me if when some of the other repairmen came out if they didn't tell me the same thing.  I said no, no one ever told me about that.  He said he would tell the manager and make sure all of the repairmen tell their customers the same thing.  He also told me I have a top of the line Beverage Air prep fridge and usually they are very good prep fridges.  He told me my type of prep fridge is built very good.  I also asked if there is a defrost sensor on the prep fridge and he told me no there is no defrost sensor on my prep fridge.     

The repairman also asked me if I could move the prep fridge away from beside of the deck oven.  I said I was thinking about doing that when the maintenance men repair my floor.  I did talk to the market manager again this past Tuesday about the repairing of the floor and now one of the maintenance men at out sick for a long while.  I might never get the floor repaired. ::) I had thought about moving the prep fridge to the right hand side of the bench when the floor is repaired. 

The repairman told me there are prep fridges that can run in hotter temperatures (like at market) but those prep fridges run about 5,000.00.  :o I said forget about that because I only operate one day a week at market.  The repairman chuckled and agreed with me about a really expensive prep fridge for market.  After checking everything the repairman said the prep fridge is running fine and it should do okay now that the other container is installed.  At least that is good news.

I told the repairman I am also having problems with the deli case icing up but it does keep the temperatures constant even if it ices up some.  He told me that the heat and high humidity are also probably icing up that unit at times.  I monitor that on days when I am at market and defrost when needed.  The repairman told me the deli case does not have a defrost sensor either. 

The prep fridge came down to the right temperature quickly today.  I will go back to market and check it again after I pick up some more flour and other things I need at market.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #745 on: July 18, 2014, 05:23:21 PM »
I guess now I have another problem with the prep fridge.  The repairman told me this morning that since the prep fridge wants to freeze up in the hotter temperatures at market he was going to set the thermostat different so it it would not cycle as much.  He said he could set it lower but he was afraid it would still start to freeze up again in a days time.  He said the prep fridge should stay at about 38 degrees F after he set the thermostat.  Well, now it stays exactly at 40 degrees F (top and bottom) no matter what I did this afternoon. 

Who knows how what value of yeast of I will have to add to the doughs on Monday.  I sure don't know what to do.  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #746 on: July 23, 2014, 09:46:43 AM »
The prep fridge did work well yesterday in keeping a constant temperature, and it did not freeze up at all.  Changing the thermostat temperature and putting the extra container in the top seems to have worked.  Some of the boardwalk style dough balls can be seen in the first photo.  I had turned the deli case temperature up a little and it did not freeze up at all since Friday.  It was about 94 degrees F inside the stand yesterday and the dough balls did not ferment too much while warming up on the bench.   

I am still not satisfied with the dough formulation and how the boardwalk style pies baked though.  The rim crust is okay but the bottom crust is not brown enough.  I don't know what to do about that.  I might just go back to some kind of formulation without lard.  All the boardwalk style dough batches were made with the same formulation that I used for the 5 test dough balls last week (except changed the yeast value).

I have a new customer for the boardwalk style of pizza since last week.  He saw I offered boardwalk style of pizza and asked me what they taste like.  I said I try to make them to taste like a Mack's or Manco & Manco pizza.  He said Mack's pizza is his favorite pizza.  He said he grew up right down the street from one of the Mack's in Trenton, NJ.  Last week he tasted a slice and said my boardwalk pizza tastes just like a Mack's pizza.  He came back for a second slice.  This week he came back for a whole pie and asked me if I am located at a regular pizzeria.  I said no I am not located anywhere else.  He said no one in this area offers anything like a Mack's pizza.  I said I know that and that is why I was trying to recreate a Mack's pizza.  I told the man I also grew up on Mack's pizzas and they always were my favorite pizzas.  We also got talking about some of other favorite kinds of pizzas and the mans second favorite kind of pizza is De Lorezno's.  I said that is also one of my favorite pizzas.  The man told me he is going to be coming every week to get a whole pie.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #747 on: July 23, 2014, 10:31:01 AM »
These are two slices I brought home (from the end of the evening) to see how they would reheat.  The slices were only put on paper plates and placed into a smaller container than they should have been put in.  It can be seen how the bottom crust are not evenly browned.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #748 on: July 23, 2014, 11:05:01 AM »
I am still not satisfied with the dough formulation and how the boardwalk style pies baked though.  The rim crust is okay but the bottom crust is not brown enough.  I don't know what to do about that.  I might just go back to some kind of formulation without lard.  All the boardwalk style dough batches were made with the same formulation that I used for the 5 test dough balls last week (except changed the yeast value).
Norma,

Can you provide a link to the formulation you used to make the most recent boardwalk style pizza?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #749 on: July 23, 2014, 01:03:44 PM »
Norma,

Can you provide a link to the formulation you used to make the most recent boardwalk style pizza?

Peter

Peter,

The formulation I used is at Reply 729 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30641.msg325350#msg325350  I changed the yeast value to 0.28 % on Monday.

I also saw about the best pizzas in our area today on facebook.  I did leave a comment.  >:D Of course my small pizza business is not mentioned, but a pizza business like CiCi's is listed.   ::)

Best pizza in the Susquehanna Valley? Facebook fans have their say

http://www.wgal.com/entertainment/best-pizza-in-the-susquehanna-valley-facebook-fans-have-their-say/21400320#!bkwaDu 

Norma

Online Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #750 on: July 23, 2014, 05:57:00 PM »
Nice self promotion, Norma!  ;)   Hope they come in droves to you!
Cheers,
Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #751 on: July 23, 2014, 06:25:10 PM »
Nice self promotion, Norma!  ;)   Hope they come in droves to you!
Cheers,
Don

Thanks Don!  I don't think it will work, but there's no harm in trying.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #752 on: July 28, 2014, 11:34:25 AM »
Another dough was mixed this morning using a formulation something like Tim's.  The garlic Romano was put into the cornmeal field in the expanded dough calculation tool.  Stretch and folds were needed again even though I let the dough rest for a while to try to make the flour hydrate more.

I don't know why almost every time I take a photo of a formulation it gets blurry, but this formulation photo is blurry.  If anyone can't make out what it says, let me know.

This time I used 0.80% of sugar in the formulation.

Norma

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #753 on: July 28, 2014, 12:21:52 PM »
Norma when you take a closeup of the dough formula sheet, does your camera/phone have a "macro" setting?  It is sometimes the little flower icon.  That allows the camera to focus up close and lets things at infinity get blurry.  Perhaps if you have a macro setting it will help?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #754 on: July 28, 2014, 05:52:50 PM »
Norma when you take a closeup of the dough formula sheet, does your camera/phone have a "macro" setting?  It is sometimes the little flower icon.  That allows the camera to focus up close and lets things at infinity get blurry.  Perhaps if you have a macro setting it will help?

Dave,

My camera does not have a macro setting.  It is a cheaper Sony cyber shot camera.  I did not have that much of a problem with my camera taking photos of formulations before.  I fiddled around with the camera today at market and think I got the problem straightened out.  I tried a new formulation for market today and did take a photo of the formulation.  I did not upload the photo of the formulation yet, so I am not sure if it okay or not.

Thanks for your help!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #755 on: July 29, 2014, 08:40:47 PM »
I was happy how the crusts turned out today with the formulation I tried.  I think the formulation will be the one I am going to use for market all the time.  The rim crust browned but still was somewhat soft, the bottom crust browned okay, there was a crispness to the bottom crust, and there was a moist inner crumb in the rim crust. 

My taste testers, Luis and I thought the taste of the crust was good.  They all thought this was my best crust so far. 

The formulation might not worked out for other members though because I am baking at a lower temperature than a lot of members use.

The bad side of today was I ran out of the boardwalk style of dough balls at about 6:30 PM, and shortly after that ran out of the Detroit style of dough balls.  It was a lot cooler today in our area today and that bought a lot of people to market.  I hated to hear some customers tell me early this evening they just came to market to purchase slices or whole pizzas.  Luis and I were almost going nuts trying to keep up today.  There was not one minute that we got to sit today.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #756 on: July 29, 2014, 08:42:29 PM »
Norma

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #757 on: July 29, 2014, 09:06:42 PM »
Norma: Congragulations on finding a formula that satifies you!  The pies look similar to your normal ones but I know how photos lie.   I have been getting dizzy following your most recent experiments with coconut oil(?), the new yeast, sourdough experiments, and such :-D  I remember a short while ago you were struggling with your location and now you are selling out.  Things are growing for you!  The weather sure has cooled off.  It sounds like Luis is working out well and I guess you need to make more dough for next week :chef:.   The people that missed out will come back.  Walter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #758 on: July 29, 2014, 09:19:50 PM »
Norma,

I am also happy to see that you now have a formulation that pleases you. Since that formulation was based on one that you previously used in the Boardwalk thread, what do you think was responsible for the improvement?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #759 on: July 29, 2014, 09:55:05 PM »
Norma: Congragulations on finding a formula that satifies you!  The pies look similar to your normal ones but I know how photos lie.   I have been getting dizzy following your most recent experiments with coconut oil(?), the new yeast, sourdough experiments, and such :-D  I remember a short while ago you were struggling with your location and now you are selling out.  Things are growing for you!  The weather sure has cooled off.  It sounds like Luis is working out well and I guess you need to make more dough for next week :chef:.   The people that missed out will come back.  Walter

Walter,

Thanks for the congrats on finding a formula that finally satisfies me.  I know the pies look very similar to most of the pies I post.  Your are right that photos can lie.  :-D  I know I have tried a lot of different formulations lately.  I had tried lard in varying amounts in this thread.  I did not try coconut oil, except to grease a pan.  Craig did suggested for me to try coconut oil in the Lallemand thread, but I have not tried that yet.

I know it was not that long ago that I was trying to get more customers in my area.  I still don't know how the customers found me but they did.  I agree the weather has really cooled off.  I was not hot in the least today.  I had to laughed with Luis today.  I make all of the pizzas and Luis waits on customers, gives change, reheats slices, does dishes and many other things.  I just keep my nose to the grind stone and try to keep pumping out pies.  :-D Luis was flying around so much today that he walked behind me two times to the other side where the cash register is.  He said I forgot why I came to this side.  We both laughed.  Yes, Luis is a really good helper.  Luis helps me from about 10:30 in the morning until I am finished.   

I get so many comments that my pies taste like a Mack's pizza.  That makes me happy too.  I had 3 customers tell me today I am the only pizza business anywhere near our area that sells pizzas that taste like Mack's Pizza.  The one customer told me he was at Mack's Pizza over the weekend and just had to come and get a slice of my Mack's style today. 

I also had different customers today that only come to market a few times a year.  They said they recalled how much they liked my pizzas and that is why they came back today.  The one couple is from Gettysburg. 

I have to tell you about Rocco since it has been awhile that I posted about him.  He is a man with a regular pizza business between York and Gettysburg.  He has been bugging me to purchase my small stand for awhile.  I keep telling him I am not ready to sell my stand, and what would I do with myself if I sold my pizza stand.  At one time Rocco and his friend asked me if they should find me a boyfriend to keep me busy.  I said I don't want a boyfriend because they would give me too many other problems.  Rocco is a character.  Today he came before Luis got to market.  A regular customer came to purchase two slices.  Rocco did not know the man was a regular customer.  Rocco said I make good pies.  The man said that is why he was at my stand because he knows I make good pies.  Rocco then said he was trying to purchase my pizza stand so he could show people what a good NY style pizza tasted like.  I was ready to take a swipe at him,  >:D but I bite my tongue.   

Norma

pizzapan