Author Topic: More flavour in dough  (Read 25294 times)

Offline Jackitup

Re: More flavour in dough
« Reply #820 on: August 13, 2014, 01:25:19 PM »
I would never test the fires of an angry gramma much less the fires of a flaming gramma Norma!! >:D ;D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #821 on: August 13, 2014, 01:32:46 PM »
I would never test the fires of an angry gramma much less the fires of a flaming gramma Norma!! >:D ;D

jon

Jon,

I have been known to get pretty upset sometimes.  >:D  Especially when it comes to my children or grandchildren.  My normally really tame mother is also the same.  She told off both of my husbands at some point in time.  :-D  My mother never raised her voice to me in her entire lifetime.  I knew when I saw the fire in her eyes to back off. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #822 on: August 19, 2014, 09:34:38 PM »
My granddaughter made another pizza at the end of the night.  Dang, she is good at opening a dough ball.  She slid the pie into the oven by herself.  There was not one thing I helped her with today.  She asked me if she could use more cheese on her pizza.  I said yes.  My granddaughter's pie had more oven spring than any of mine did today.  ??? When we got home my daughter ate a slice.  My daughter said my granddaughter's pizza was better than mine are.  I guess I still have a lot to learn.  Maybe my granddaughter needs to give me lessons.  :-[ She did tell me it is really hot standing in front of the oven.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #823 on: August 19, 2014, 09:58:41 PM »
She has the magic touch Norma....is she going to be your new helper now?
I believe I probably speak for the rest of the guys and myself when I say we wouldn`t mind at all if she was to become a regular in your Market pizza pics.  :)   She has a beautiful smile and looks like she really enjoys being there with you and messing around with the
 pizzas.   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline waynesize

« Reply #824 on: August 19, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »
 ^^^

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #825 on: August 19, 2014, 10:04:51 PM »
It's in her genes AND she learned from the best.  How could it be possible for her not to do a great job!!!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #826 on: August 19, 2014, 10:14:01 PM »
She has the magic touch Norma....is she going to be your new helper now?
I believe I probably speak for the rest of the guys and myself when I say we wouldn`t mind at all if she was to become a regular in your Market pizza pics.  :)   She has a beautiful smile and looks like she really enjoys being there with you and messing around with the
 pizzas.   :chef:

Bob,

She might not be my new helper for too long.  She is applying for other jobs.  She works at another job but is getting sick of that one. 

Thanks about her beautiful smile! 

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #827 on: August 19, 2014, 10:19:01 PM »
^^^

Thanks Wayne!

It's in her genes AND she learned from the best.  How could it be possible for her not to do a great job!!!!

Mitch,

It might be in her genes, but she just made her first pizza last week and has not practiced since.  I sure could not do that good of a job when I first started making pizzas.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #828 on: August 20, 2014, 12:22:50 PM »
I am still liking the results when using the same formulation.  The fresh baked bread smell is still there while baking the pies.  The dough balls open easily.

If I ever find a right KA sourdough starter formulation, (to add to my dough formulation) for a NY style pizza, I would think there might be other problems of getting everything right.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #829 on: August 20, 2014, 01:02:22 PM »
Norma,

Is the dough formulation you used the one that is posted in Reply 812 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30641.msg332147#msg332147?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #830 on: August 20, 2014, 01:30:45 PM »
Norma,

Is the dough formulation you used the one that is posted in Reply 812 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30641.msg332147#msg332147?

Peter

Peter,

Yes, that is the dough formulation I have been using for market.  I wonder what percentage of the KA sourdough starter I should try in that formulation to see if the KA sourdough starter would give a better flavor for a one day cold ferment.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #831 on: August 20, 2014, 03:06:54 PM »
Norma,
How many batches of dough do you typically make for a day at Market.
You are able to access the Market stand on Monday, correct?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #832 on: August 20, 2014, 03:12:10 PM »
Norma,
How many batches of dough do you typically make for a day at Market.
You are able to access the Market stand on Monday, correct?

Bob,

I usually make 3 batches of boardwalk style dough right now, and that all depends on the weather and what time of year it is.  I am able to access my market stand on a Monday.  That is when I mixed the dough batches, shred the cheese and make the pizza sauce.  Sometimes I don't use as big of batches if I have some leftover dough balls.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #833 on: August 20, 2014, 05:13:05 PM »
Sorry if I have missed it somewhere Norma but have you ever tried a 24hr RT bulk ferment with a batch of Market dough?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #834 on: August 20, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
Sorry if I have missed it somewhere Norma but have you ever tried a 24hr RT bulk ferment with a batch of Market dough?

Bob,

In my opinion, a 24 hour bulk ferment would be too hard for me to understand to be able to achieve anywhere near good results.  Remember, temperatures at market can range from in the 30's up to almost 100 degrees F.  I think I would have a mess with trying to deal with a RT bulk ferment.  What happens after the RT bulk ferment when the dough would be balled Tuesday?  I would think the dough balls would be too hard to open.  I really don't want to have to ball the day of market either.  When I get to market I am plenty busy doing all the other things that need to be done.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #835 on: September 16, 2014, 09:27:43 PM »
I asked my granddaughter to take the bake times of a few of my pizzas today when one pie after another were going in and out of the oven.  The bakes times ranged from 5:44 minutes to a little over 5:48 seconds. 

I also asked my granddaughter to take a short video of me opening one of the dough balls today.  My dough balls are very easy to open and the dough feels like silk.

I am beginning to believe it matters how the crust tastes, how the cheese and sauce taste after the bake on the crust, and how the complete bakes goes in determining how the final pizza will taste. 

I had many customers tell me today that my crust tastes the best that they have ever tasted for a thin style pizza.  They also told me how much they like my crust, cheese and sauce on on the boardwalk style pizzas.  I had one customer tell me that he knows my pizza will be consistent in how they taste because I am always the one that makes the pizzas.  The one man told me that other pizzerias in our area always have someone different manning the oven and sometimes the pie crusts are soggy or not completely baked, or are overbaked. 

I had something similar happen today with another crust on a boardwalk style pizza tasting differently and then the cheese and sauce tasted altogether different.  I would have never thought they would have been the same sauce and cheese that I normally use.  I had the same problem when I was making a pizza with a dough that was made using a sourdough culture and IDY.  The dough today that was used that made the pizza taste altogether different was Frank's dough that he had mixed by hand yesterday.  The taste of the crust was so bland that I think that affected the whole taste of the pizza.  My granddaughter and Luis also said the same thing.

Norma

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #836 on: September 16, 2014, 10:05:35 PM »
The dough today that was used that made the pizza taste altogether different was Frank's dough that he had mixed by hand yesterday.  The taste of the crust was so bland that I think that affected the whole taste of the pizza.  My granddaughter and Luis also said the same thing.
Norma

I've been wondering about that ever since I saw the video. I'm wondering if Frank confused the teaspoon scoop for something else and maybe meant a quarter cup. I think that would bring the salt to about 2.5%. I've made worse mistakes than that in the kitchen...like the time I forgot the salt completely.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #837 on: September 16, 2014, 10:14:31 PM »
That last vid with you in your pretty red blouse was very telling and I liked it a lot Norma. We all know you are working in confined conditions and watching you stretch your dough shows that you know just when you have it to the right size...you are a very skilled pizza maker and I hope you will continue to post up vids of your processes like this one, when you have time, so more people here can learn.

Frank is old school, and I love that. But we know that the busy shops he has been in all his life with using same day dough is always going to be a bit bland tasting.

Interesting that you now have come to understand/think that it is a combination of all the ingredients that make for a good pie. I think that before, perhaps, you were focusing in on just the crust/dough....trying many things to make it stand out.....I think you are right, it`s a combination thing.  :chef:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #838 on: September 16, 2014, 10:40:51 PM »
I've been wondering about that ever since I saw the video. I'm wondering if Frank confused the teaspoon scoop for something else and maybe meant a quarter cup. I think that would bring the salt to about 2.5%. I've made worse mistakes than that in the kitchen...like the time I forgot the salt completely.

Jon in Albany,

I have to ask Frank about the salt again in the dough he mixed by hand on Monday.  Last week his pizza crusts tasted very good.  The Sicilian pizza crust tasted good too.

Good to hear you also made mistakes before.  I really made a big mistake at market one week when mixing a big batch of dough.  I used the sugar amount for the salt.   :-[

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #839 on: September 16, 2014, 10:47:04 PM »
That last vid with you in your pretty red blouse was very telling and I liked it a lot Norma. We all know you are working in confined conditions and watching you stretch your dough shows that you know just when you have it to the right size...you are a very skilled pizza maker and I hope you will continue to post up vids of your processes like this one, when you have time, so more people here can learn.

Frank is old school, and I love that. But we know that the busy shops he has been in all his life with using same day dough is always going to be a bit bland tasting.

Interesting that you now have come to understand/think that it is a combination of all the ingredients that make for a good pie. I think that before, perhaps, you were focusing in on just the crust/dough....trying many things to make it stand out.....I think you are right, it`s a combination thing.  :chef:

Bob,

Thank you for your kind comments!  I don't know what videos members might be interested in. 

I still have to ask Frank about the salt amount.

I knew my customers liked the taste of the sauce and cheese I used, but did not fully appreciate how it all comes together with the crust too, until this recent experiment with Frank's dough.

Norma