Hello. Have made basic dough with instant yeast in the past without problems.
Want to start experimenting. Found a recipe online using beer instead of water and though I would try it. However, dough does not seem to be rising. I'm using active dry yeast for the first time.
Method and recipe:
1) 1 cup of beer (ale) was warmed with microwave to 110 degrees (verified with thermometer). 1 standard packet of active dry yeast added to beer. Let this sit for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, had frothy appearance on top, liquid below.
2) Added beer/yeast mixture to bowl with:
3 cups of bread flour (Pilsbury)
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
3 Tbsp skim milk
1 Tbsp olive oil
3) Used stand mixer to mix above for about 5 minutes
4) Removed dough kneaded with a small amount of flour and formed a dough ball
5) Lined glass bowl with 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Placed dough ball in bowl. Covered bowl with kitchen towel
6) Placed bowl in fridge for 12 hrs. Fridge temp is 34 degrees.
7) Per recipe, dough was to have doubled at 12 hrs. At 12 hrs, dough had not doubled. Seemed rather firm. Took dough out, kneaded with a little more flour and reformed ball.
8. Placed dough back in bowl. Covered again with kitchen towel. Placed in fridge for 11 more hours.
9) Dough may have risen a little, but certainly doesn't look light and fluffy. Still rather firm.
Any idea what I've done wrong? Where do I go from here?
Thanks in advance for the help.