Author Topic: Dough not rising  (Read 388 times)

Offline cpotter638

• I Love Pizza!
Dough not rising
« on: March 06, 2014, 11:50:05 AM »
Hello.  Have made basic dough with instant yeast in the past without problems.

Want to start experimenting.  Found a recipe online using beer instead of water and though I would try it.  However, dough does not seem to be rising.  I'm using active dry yeast for the first time.

Method and recipe:

1) 1 cup of beer (ale) was warmed with microwave to 110 degrees (verified with thermometer).  1 standard packet of active dry yeast added to beer.  Let this sit for 5 minutes.  After 5 minutes, had frothy appearance on top, liquid below.

2) Added beer/yeast mixture to bowl with:

3 cups of bread flour (Pilsbury)
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
3 Tbsp skim milk
1 Tbsp olive oil

3) Used stand mixer to mix above for about 5 minutes

4) Removed dough kneaded with a small amount of flour and formed a dough ball

5) Lined glass bowl with 1 Tbsp of olive oil.  Placed dough ball in bowl.  Covered bowl with kitchen towel

6) Placed bowl in fridge for 12 hrs.  Fridge temp is 34 degrees.

7) Per recipe, dough was to have doubled at 12 hrs.  At 12 hrs, dough had not doubled.  Seemed rather firm.  Took dough out, kneaded with a little more flour and reformed ball. 

8. Placed dough back in bowl.  Covered again with kitchen towel.  Placed in fridge for 11 more hours. 

9) Dough may have risen a little, but certainly doesn't look light and fluffy.  Still rather firm.

Any idea what I've done wrong?  Where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Chad

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Dough not rising
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:59:29 AM »
Have you tried adding the yeast to some water instead of beer? If you're using a full packet of yeast, you should definitely see some action.

You can also switch to Instant Dry Yeast (IDY) and skip the activation all together.
Josh

Offline cpotter638

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 02:18:19 PM »
Have not tried adding to water yet.

Found a recipe a couple of months ago with beer and wanted to try it. 

Really my 1st experiments.  Didn't know if fridge was too cold.  Also didn't know if loose fitting towel over bowel was a problem (didn't know if it should instead have a tight cover).

Sound like a problem with combination of beer and yeast?  Anything I can do to salvage the dough at this point?

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 02:26:48 PM »
Your fridge is on the lower side at 34*... 38-40 is probably better for dough. But with one full packet of yeast (which is much higher than most members here use) I would expect something to happen.

A tighter cover is better, but only because you risk forming a skin on your dough if air is able to move through the towel and dry out the outer layer of dough.

Take the dough out of the fridge 2-4 hours before baking to see if anything happens. I don't think it's the combination of beer and yeast specifically, since we have a lot of members making pizza dough with beer. I'm wondering if activating yeast with beer is not particularly good for the yeast which can be avoided by activating with water, or using IDY and skipping activation all together.
Josh

pizzapan