Author Topic: Great Lakes Mozzarella  (Read 512 times)

Offline caymus

Great Lakes Mozzarella
« on: March 06, 2014, 05:25:19 PM »
The cash and carry I shop at usually carries Jacobo (Dairy Farmers of America), today they had Great Lakes.  Has anybody tried this lately? I did see some positive notes from ScottR from 2005.  I'm thinking that the food service version should be different than the grocery store version.

Thanks

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: Great Lakes Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:08:39 PM »
i use it mixed with their provolone and love the way it melts. it is a little light on flavor for my style of pizza but would be perfect for ny style. i like that sharp smoky taste from provolone.

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 06:43:25 PM »
Personally, I'm not very fond of it. I picked up some of it from the local Fresh Market (NC).  Like stated above it is light on flavor and, in my experience, browns very easily.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 07:32:34 PM »
haven't tried (or even seen it around) the mozzarella, but Great Lakes cheeses tend to be a little less than great, at least that's what I've found to be true of their cheddars. They are frequently on sale at local markets, sometimes as low as 99 cents for an 8 oz. brick. YMMV

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:52:21 PM »
it does brown early, but for slower pizzas (6 min on up) its got a better than average taste.   Its what they use at the top 2 pizzerias in boston.     

Offline caymus

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 08:53:55 AM »
I bought a loaf and have used it for a few pizzas.  For my NY style pizza it works well.  The positives for me are that it

1) shreds well
2)  is not salty
3)  does not oil
4) browns the right amount for my 6 minute bakes

It does not have the 'buttered popcorn” aroma and is somewhat light.  I usually mix some provolone into my mozz but have not done it yet with this one.  I probably need to get some Grande or Calabro to compare.  But, I noticed that Slice did not rate Calabro highly.

Offline scott123

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 05:48:38 PM »
The positives for me are that it

3)  does not oil

Bart, I think, for a good number of the members here, this would be a negative :) Points 1, 2 and 4 are solid positives, though, especially, the shreddability (usually signifying lower moisture) and lack of saltiness. Thanks for buying a loaf and providing us with your feedback.

But, I noticed that Slice did not rate Calabro highly.

Slice did all their testing on french bread. A par baked crust, especially a thick par baked crust, renders any kind of cheese melting test worthless, because you don't have the steam from the dough rising and melting the cheese from below, which, in turn, prevents the cheese from bubbling.  If the cheese doesn't bubble enough, it doesn't give off enough fat. Fat, as everyone knows, is flavor.  French bread pizza cheese will brown on top, but the layer of cheese underneath the color will be pale and undermelted.

Contrary to what the Slice review claims, stretchiness is not the litmus test for great motz. Anyone can undermelt motz and end up with stretchiness. Stretchiness is a defect, not a positive attribute. Stretchiness is the foundation for chain pizza- and we all know how crappy that is. Flavor is the litmus test for great motz and that doesn't come without bubbling.

In order to judge cheese fairly, it doesn't just need to be baked on raw dough, it should be baked on raw, thinly stretched dough. The .1 thickness factor NY style garbage that you see on the dough calculator- that's never going to do justice to the cheese and bubble it properly.

If someone wanted to do cheese testing in a controlled fashion with less labor than making/stretching dough, they should fry the motz in a pan.  Frying is an exponentially better way of determining cheese quality than baking on bread.

For anyone interested, the Slice review Bart and I are referencing can be found here:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/02/the-pizza-lab-the-best-low-moisture-mozzarella-for-pizzas.html

pizzapan