Author Topic: Trying to find Stanislaus Full Red Fully Prepared Pizza Sauce in Maine  (Read 773 times)

Offline scash2014

• I Love Pizza!
I know this has been asked a bunch of times, but none of the threads yielded an answer that works for me. I was buying this sauce from a local pizza shop for years. They were charging $6 for a 6 pound can. Then a few months ago a new owner came in and decided they were only selling cans to other businesses. So I am without a supplier.

Here in Maine, I'm pretty sure that a company named Sysco is the distributor for Stanislaus products. Both their website and the Stanislas site state that they do not sell to the public. I have searched all over the web and the best price I could find was $11 a can. I'm not willing to go higher than $8. So I might be out of luck considering how ridiculous shipping is these days.

Anybody have any advice? Outside of running around and soliciting mom and pop places to sell me a case (which I don't want to do) I can't think of anything. Besides, there are only a few places around here like that. And I think one of them is on the verge of going under. It's mostly chain pizza in my small town 

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
would be helpful to know where you are...

Offline scash2014

• I Love Pizza!
I'm in Maine.

Offline scash2014

• I Love Pizza!
Waterville, 04901

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Can you get into a Restaurant Depot?  I got mine there for about $5 for a #10 can.
Mary Ann

Offline scash2014

• I Love Pizza!
Technically I could. But the closest one is 180 miles from me. With my gas guzzling truck it would cost $126 for fuel. At $30 a case, I would need to buy 8 cases to get under the $8 a can mark, not accounting for tolls. Not to mention the 6-7 hours of driving. So it's not really doable. 

Offline dmcavanagh

you might want to refer to this thread   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30577.msg305836#new you may not be so anxious to get Full Red Pizza Sauce!

Offline dmcavanagh

oops, forget that, it seems as though Stanislaus has many items called Full Red, the Fully Prepared Sauce is different from that mentioned in the referrenced thread. Full Red Pizza Sauce and Full Red Fully Prepared Pizza Sauce are two different products! ???

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
oops, forget that, it seems as though Stanislaus has many items called Full Red, the Fully Prepared Sauce is different from that mentioned in the referrenced thread. Full Red Pizza Sauce and Full Red Fully Prepared Pizza Sauce are two different products! ???

There is only one Full red Pizza sauce as far as I know, I just confirmed on their web site too. It comes in 2 varieties with basil or without, but it is the same sauce. They also have a Full Red tomato puree but that is something totally different. http://www.stanislaus.com/products/real-italian-products/from-scratch-products#frPizza
Sam

Offline dmcavanagh

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:51:08 PM by Rinoxxx »
Sam

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: Trying to find Stanislaus Full Red Fully Prepared Pizza Sauce in Maine
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »
Try our cross-reference to find a similar product from Escalon, maybe you'll have better luck finding their products.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/escalon_stanislaus.html
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Zing

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 01:24:08 PM »
The independent Italian foods distributors, as well as some independent broadline food distributors, often sell Sanislaus, Escalon, San Benito, etc. products. I checked the product listings of Micucci Foods of Portland and Dennis Paper and Foodservice of Bangor and see they both carry the Full Red prepared pizza sauce. Dunno if they sell cash-and-carry, but I have had good luck with calling distributors a few days in advance, asking for inside sales,  identifying myself as a cooking enthusiast, and asking if they will sell me a one case quantity of whatever. I don't ask price and say I will bring exact change. Tell them you want to do a will call. Good luck.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 02:06:25 PM »
There is only one Full red Pizza sauce as far as I know, I just confirmed on their web site too. It comes in 2 varieties with basil or without, but it is the same sauce. They also have a Full Red tomato puree but that is something totally different. http://www.stanislaus.com/products/real-italian-products/from-scratch-products#frPizza

There are several Full Red Products from Stanislaus. However, here is the link to the Full Red Fully Prepared Pizza Sauce.

http://www.stanislaus.com/products/real-italian-products/ready-products

I have tried Full Red Fully Prepared Pizza Sauce and I was not that impressed with it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:09:44 PM by TomN »

Offline scash2014

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 12:29:04 AM »
The independent Italian foods distributors, as well as some independent broadline food distributors, often sell Sanislaus, Escalon, San Benito, etc. products. I checked the product listings of Micucci Foods of Portland and Dennis Paper and Foodservice of Bangor and see they both carry the Full Red prepared pizza sauce. Dunno if they sell cash-and-carry, but I have had good luck with calling distributors a few days in advance, asking for inside sales,  identifying myself as a cooking enthusiast, and asking if they will sell me a one case quantity of whatever. I don't ask price and say I will bring exact change. Tell them you want to do a will call. Good luck.

Thanks! I fired off an email to the Bangor company. If that doesn't work, I will call.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 12:58:34 AM by scash2014 »

Offline scash2014

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 12:17:09 AM »
Just wanted to give a huge thanks to Zing.

I emailed the company in Bangor. After a week passed with no response, I called them expecting to get shot down. But they do actually do cash and carry, so I'm going there on Tuesday. Can't wait. The shop that was selling it to me started selling it in one pound containers at $2 each. I stopped by the other night because I was craving a pizza. They went up another $1. Three dollars for a pound of sauce. That $18 a can! I told the owner I was all set. He looked surprised. But I'm not paying that for 16 oz of sauce.

I'm a sauce freak. I put over a pound on each pizza I make. I can't afford $18 a can. And I do lasagna, meatballs and other stuff with it. So I go through a lot.

Now I've just got to find some cheese. I've been using the store brand block cheese @ $4.20 a pound. It's not great, but it's not bad either. A bit too greasy. I only use 4-6 oz on each pizza. 8-10 if it's cheese only. So I'm not sure I'll be able to buy a huge amount. Probably only if I find something I really love.

Anyway, like I said, I wanted to say thanks to Zing. I have been looking for a source for a long time. I really doubt I ever would have found a supplier without your help. Very grateful.

Offline adletson

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 09:33:43 AM »
A pound of sauce?!  That's a sea of sauce.  I would love to see a pic of it.  What style pizza is that?

Offline Zing

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 07:47:01 AM »
Thanks. scash2014. I have noticed that food companies are the least likely to respond to emails. In fact, I don't even bother anymore. I have always called food companies on the phone for the last year or so.

Offline piratenana

• I Love Pizza!
I don't know how prices may run, but that sauce is available for shipping from The Pennsylvania Macaroni Company.  Here's their website:   http://www.pennmac.com/

pizzapan