Author Topic: a 5 day cold ferment pie-hard to beat  (Read 3537 times)

Offline moefefa

Re: a 5 day cold ferment pie-hard to beat
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2014, 08:49:22 PM »
Maureen, I don't know if your oven behaves this way, but as I think I've mentioned, my stone reached 750 on the oven floor while only reaching 635-ish an inch or two higher. For whatever that may be worth.

Wow Ryan, that's hot...now I am very curious about how hot mine gets!
Maureen

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2014, 09:14:41 PM »
you don`t need to proof, bloom, whatever confusing word....toss it in and get on with life.
actually try it if you don`t wanna believe me man.
This is what I do
Chaz

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2014, 09:29:49 PM »
We use IDY with ice water to mix our dough.  This makes a great dough that can be used in 3 days and will safely last 7 days in the fridge.  I have never once had it fail us and thus have no interest in changing it.  I was raised in NJ with cake yeast and same day dough but will never go back to that. We make most of our income with our bakery side and are not a big pizza operation but do make 50-100 or so pies a week.  Walter
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:34:16 PM by waltertore »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »
This is what I do
really man....is anyone here actually having any fun making pizzas? sometimes i think it would be more interesting to watch my gf`s dishwater.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2014, 09:34:53 PM »
We use IDY with ice water to mix our dough.  This makes a great dough that can be used in 3 days and will safely last 7 days in the fridge.  I have never once had it fail us and thus have no interest in changing it.  We make most of our income with our bakery side and are not a big pizza operation but do make 50-100 or so pies a week.  Walter
nice pie dude...i know you and the kids have a lot of fun in your kitchen.   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2014, 09:36:02 PM »
Walter,

The method you use is one of the methods I had in mind in my last post to make an IDY-based dough that has a wide window of usability. Another method is to add the IDY to the dough toward the end of the kneading process.

Peter

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2014, 09:40:08 PM »
nice pie dude...i know you and the kids have a lot of fun in your kitchen.   :chef:

Thanks Bob!  We do have fun and I am itching to get back to it.  You can have this summer vacation for teachers............   Walter

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2014, 09:47:34 PM »
Walter,

The method you use is one of the methods I had in mind in my last post to make an IDY-based dough that has a wide window of usability. Another method is to add the IDY to the dough toward the end of the kneading process.

Peter

Peter:  I have come up with this formula over the past couple of years.  It sort of has come to pass from my little tweaks that started with our tap water that comes out near ice water temps in the cold months here.  I add the ice water first into our bowl, then the flour, then IDY/salt on top of the flour, and mix until the dough comes together then add the oil.  I had some of my NJ family in this week and last night we did our first pizza party with dough at 5 days on Tuesday and the second party with the dough at 7 days last night.  It was still great to work with and came out wonderful in taste/texture/looks.  I now have a formula that we can make on thursday or friday and will be ready monday-friday.  This makes things very easy.  Walter
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:02:44 PM by waltertore »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2014, 08:50:20 PM »
;D 750's fantastic for cordierite, but 570... if you want to be able to explore every possible NY bake time (which, at this point, I would hope that you do), then 570 + cordierite will not achieve that end. You did say 'at least as hot as' so hopefully, in that upper position, you'll be able to flirt with 600. 600 + cordierite is pretty happy.

Here ya go, Scott.

scott123

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2014, 08:54:29 PM »
Here ya go, Scott.

*crossing myself* You have my blessing  :-D

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2014, 09:13:04 PM »
I've just found out that 605 is actually a pretty low reading with the stone in that position. 610-615 seems to be more normal. And you can't necessarily tell from the first pic, but that stone position is very high. Here's another pic, to show how high the stone is. (The shiny part in the top/middle is the broiler.)