Author Topic: Finally got Starter. Discarding during activation?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Finally got Starter. Discarding during activation?
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 07:41:12 AM »
How many hours has your starter been sitting in that 2nd picture... the bubbles mean something is happening.
Josh

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 07:54:04 AM »
How many hours has your starter been sitting in that 2nd picture... the bubbles mean something is happening.

That was immediately after feeding. I just moved it, cleaned out container again, and fed it and put it back. I will post results in morning.. Just about ready to give up on this thing!

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 08:04:32 AM »
Ok so it's probably just residual bubbles from mixing.

How often have you been feeding since the mishap? You probably have a lower % of starter than you think, which means it will take the yeast longer to work. Additionally if you're feeding because you don't see any activity, you just reduced the % starter even more. Sometimes you need to be patient and let the yeast do their thing.

65* is too cold, try to get it to 70+ by putting it on top of your hot water heater, or fridge, or other warm area... and be patient!

Josh

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 04:31:59 PM »
Ok so it's probably just residual bubbles from mixing.

How often have you been feeding since the mishap? You probably have a lower % of starter than you think, which means it will take the yeast longer to work. Additionally if you're feeding because you don't see any activity, you just reduced the % starter even more. Sometimes you need to be patient and let the yeast do their thing.

65* is too cold, try to get it to 70+ by putting it on top of your hot water heater, or fridge, or other warm area... and be patient!

Ok, so i fed it last night approximately 9 hours ago. Should I feed it in 5, or give it 24 hours from last feed? Or should I wait for some hooch?

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 04:48:53 PM »
Ok, so i fed it last night approximately 9 hours ago. Should I feed it in 5, or give it 24 hours from last feed? Or should I wait for some hooch?

If it were me, I'd wait to see some activity before doing anything. Keep the temp in the 70's if at all possible. If you see hooch without fermentation, you'll have to do a few feed cycles before you're back up and running.
Josh

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 10:59:42 PM »
Thanks JD, left one as is, and commenced washing the spare (Water was at about 40c but felt warm in my hand, so I used that). I added the prescribed 3/4 cup of flour but it was still a bit too soupy so I handful more of flour to thicken it up. On the shelf it goes!

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 03:45:40 AM »
7 hours into clean.

Cleaned Jar - No rise but a thin layer of hooch forming on top

Untouched Jar - almost 24 hours after the last feed, smell has turned quite a bit more acidic. No further action to report.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 08:23:12 AM »
Are you getting hooch with the untouched jar too?
Josh

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 08:59:15 AM »
Are you getting hooch with the untouched jar too?

No hooch with the untouched. It was so sour it singed my nose hairs. Discarded half of that and fed as per normal. I switched to the whole 'Discard what appears to be half, feed a cup of flour and 3/4 cup (175ml) water' and play it by eye. Seeing as a methodology didn't work the first time!

Washed starter looks ok. Fed that a whole heap (jar now 3/4 full after the cup of flour and 3/4 of water)... See how it goes in the morning. I am teeing up a replacement from Ed so this is more of a 'see what happens in the meantime' now... I have lost hope!

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 09:13:07 AM »
Before you give up completely, next time you feed the "untouched" one, only use 1 Tablespoon of starter, and 100 grams water + 100 grams flour and let it sit for minimum 24 hrs. This has helped me restart an old starter a few times.

Josh

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
  • gameplay engineer / pizza maker
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2014, 09:12:35 AM »
hows it looking today?
i'm making a pizza utility app.  check it out and give suggestions! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30444.0

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2014, 01:06:27 AM »
hows it looking today?

Hey buddy,

both dead in the water. Both had the most digesting consistency and smell I have ever encountered, to the point where passers by the bench wanted to be sick!

Both went down the sink and I will reload on the ischia when I get back from a work trip to Italy in a week.

Better luck next time? I will post the progress.

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2014, 04:17:23 AM »
Round 2 begins ;D >:D

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2014, 10:17:02 AM »
FWIW, I was able to achieve the 90 degree activation temperature by placing the jar close to the lightbulb in my oven.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2014, 06:30:39 PM »
FWIW, I was able to achieve the 90 degree activation temperature by placing the jar close to the lightbulb in my oven.

This time around, I took a styrofoam broccoli box from work, removed top, sat one of my photography lights over the top and covered other end with original lid. I will attach a photo today. The dome of the light was pumping out at 40c, with the jar sitting between 28-32c.. Hopefully all good :)

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Finally got Starter. Discarding during activation?
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 01:32:15 AM »
Took it out of my proofing box. Looked nicely active. Thoughts? I discarded 'some' as per Ed's instructions and fed 140g flour and 170g water as per letter.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:06:40 AM by Totti »

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 10:24:42 PM »
And we have lift off :) fully active already and ready, after another two feeds, to be some ischia action down under :) #yay

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2014, 02:42:20 AM »
Lego! Here she is. Bit of a foamy layer on top. Will give it two more feeds before I use it tomorrow. Hit the top in 3 hours and then dropped down. Not sure what happened with my first batch.. Perhaps it was dead on arrival? My follow up service with Ed was less than stellar.

Very excited!!

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2014, 09:54:47 PM »
Totti
Go to the supermarket and buy one of these, actually get two.  They are a lettuce crisper and I find them perfect for starter doughs.  Good to see more Aussies here  :D
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2014, 06:40:23 PM »
Totti
Go to the supermarket and buy one of these, actually get two.  They are a lettuce crisper and I find them perfect for starter doughs.  Good to see more Aussies here  :D

Hey Wazza,

To fit in with the "crowd" I actually bought a dozen (Well, two dozen now, because I bought the wrong mouth the first time) quart wide-mouth Ball Mason jars. These are the bomb mate, I keep an empty to tare my scales, and a few spares to change over every now and then.

I liked them so much I put them in our store to sell :) You can get a half box pretty competitive off eBay, about $5 a piece, or you can order direct with Ball Mason Australia.

My starter doing nicely. Made one batch of pizza, one batch of pancakes yesterday, and I have a batch of Naan proofing for a bake tonight. With the colder winters here, mine is taking around 4-6 hours to peak activity.