Author Topic: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza  (Read 829 times)

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza
« on: March 12, 2014, 05:18:31 PM »
I recently relocated to Atlanta and have been really missing good pizza.  All they have down here are chains and NY style pizzerias.  Many people may know of Buffalo for their Chicken Wings, but their Pizza is also just as good.  I have attached some images of pizza from different Buffalo, NY area pizzerias. Below are where these beautiful pizza's came from.

Pasquale's:
Picasso's
Blasdel Pizza
Bocce Pizza
Great Lakes Pizza

It may be hard to tell from the pictures, but a typical Buffalo style pizza is 17-18" for a large and around .5-.6 inches thick.  It's not as thin as NY style and not as thick as a Sicilian pizza.  From what I've gathered so far, Buffalo pizzeria's typically use Sorrento 100% whole milk mozzarella cheese and either Margherita or Ezzo Supreme Special Pepperoni.  If you look at the Ezzo website, you will see that the Supreme Special pepperoni was specifically made for Buffalo.  http://ezzo.com/products.html  My local grocery stores carry Sorrento branded cheeses but I have not been able to find Margherita pepperoni and Ezzo products are not sold in retail stores.  I've contacted Ezzo about trying to get some of their pepperoni and it doesn't sound like I am going to be able to.

What I mostly need help with is the dough.  I have tried a few recipes on here and they turned out okay.  I think my best bet might be to try and modify Jerry Mac's dough recipe to make my pizza thicker.  If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, that would be very helpful!

Thanks,
Chris

Offline scupbucket

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 10:56:53 PM »
Hi Chris,

Don't have an exact recipe (I'm still trying to get remotely close to a NY style pie) but maybe I can help describe the Buffalo style pizza so that a few others might jump in and take over. I'm in East Aurora... just 5 minutes up the hill from the EA Pasquale's, one of my all-time favorites so your pic was making me drool all over the place. Being a Cleveland native, I was blown away by pizza in Buffalo. There's been a lot of great choices over the last 10 years... :) I've had all but Great Lakes... I also dig Capelli's, Casa de Pizza, Del Aureos, Joey V's etc. It's like pizza heaven here! HEAVY on the cheese.

What I've noticed is that a lot of these style pizzas have the thickness you describe but also a very chewy sweet crust - great oven spring but a more dense crust. Maybe they're using more sugar and a ton more oil? Almost like a cross between a NY style and pan pizza. The crusts are quite brown but not burnt in any way and it looks as though they're first baked in a pan and then decked too because of the almost molded looking bottom crust. All the best to you down South... friggin freezing and buried to our armpits again in snow up here. Pizza helps. :)

Scup

Offline Craigbec

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 06:45:11 PM »
I think this is what they serve for breakfast in Heaven.

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 10:06:10 PM »
Scup,

Thanks for the help trying to explain what Buffalo pizza is like.  Now that I think about it, yes Buffalo style pizzas are heavy on the cheese.  You are also correct when you say that the pizzas are typically baked in a pan then decked for the last few minutes.  If you watch the following youtube video of Pizza Junction on Diners Drive-ins, and Dives, you will get a good idea of how most Buffalo pizzerias bake their pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0hY9IUIWc

I heard that the winter has been pretty bad up there this year.  I guess I picked a good time to move!  I still miss the Pizza and Wings...and of course Time Hortons!

Chris

Offline scupbucket

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 11:01:01 AM »
*sigh* I miss PJ's. Such good pizza and those pies were STACKED! My gf is from NT so when she saw this she almost cried… it was that good!

Over the last 2 weeks I’ve been taking a break from NYC style pie attempts to try and replicate some local joints after seeing your pics. I’ve come up with something close to Capelli’s but I’m still trying to get the chewy crust texture. For the recipe below, maybe try and drop hydration to 60%. The last few attempts have tasted great but not as dense as I’d like… much too springy. Plus the TF might be just a tad too thick. Try .11 instead of .12. I’m also using a screen in conjunction with steel… I’ll give an oiled pan a shot and maybe deck the pie for a minute or so…

I have a pic of my most recent attempt in reply #509 here:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.500

Flour (100%):    1220 g  |  43.03 oz | 2.69 lbs  All Trumps
Water (62%):    756.4 g  |  26.68 oz | 1.67 lbs 
IDY (.2%):    2.44 g | 0.09 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.81 tsp | 0.27 tbsp 
Salt (2%):    24.4 g | 0.86 oz | 0.05 lbs | 7.18 tsp | 2.39 tbsp 
Oil (2%):    24.4 g | 0.86 oz | 0.05 lbs | 5.42 tsp | 1.81 tbsp 
Sugar (2%):    24.4 g | 0.86 oz | 0.05 lbs | 6.12 tsp | 2.04 tbsp 
Total (168.2%):   2052.04 g | 72.38 oz | 4.52 lbs | TF = 0.12
Single Ball:   684.01 g | 24.13 oz | 1.51 lbs

I did 48 hour cold ferments but it seemed like the dough was ready to bake after 24... if you ever try this out, let me know what you think and if I'm even remotely in the ballpark with this.

Still snowing here but it’s been a bit warmer so everybody’s out wearing t-shirts in 40 degree weather. Heat wave I tell ya…

Offline sachmo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »
I recently relocated to Atlanta and have been really missing good pizza.  All they have down here are chains and NY style pizzerias.  Many people may know of Buffalo for their Chicken Wings, but their Pizza is also just as good.  I have attached some images of pizza from different Buffalo, NY area pizzerias. Below are where these beautiful pizza's came from.

Pasquale's:
Picasso's
Blasdel Pizza
Bocce Pizza
Great Lakes Pizza

It may be hard to tell from the pictures, but a typical Buffalo style pizza is 17-18" for a large and around .5-.6 inches thick.  It's not as thin as NY style and not as thick as a Sicilian pizza.  From what I've gathered so far, Buffalo pizzeria's typically use Sorrento 100% whole milk mozzarella cheese and either Margherita or Ezzo Supreme Special Pepperoni.  If you look at the Ezzo website, you will see that the Supreme Special pepperoni was specifically made for Buffalo.  http://ezzo.com/products.html  My local grocery stores carry Sorrento branded cheeses but I have not been able to find Margherita pepperoni and Ezzo products are not sold in retail stores.  I've contacted Ezzo about trying to get some of their pepperoni and it doesn't sound like I am going to be able to.

What I mostly need help with is the dough.  I have tried a few recipes on here and they turned out okay.  I think my best bet might be to try and modify Jerry Mac's dough recipe to make my pizza thicker.  If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, that would be very helpful!

Thanks,
Chris

I also live in the Buffalo area and I also would like a recipe close to Bocce,Picasso,Imperial or Blasdell, That is why I came to this site looking for that type of dough. If anyone find something close please post. I've also had Pizza Junction and that was good also.I heard it opened back up under a different name will post if I find out the new name