Author Topic: FREE SOURDOUGH CULTURE III  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
FREE SOURDOUGH CULTURE III
« on: March 13, 2014, 07:29:25 PM »
This offer is open to anyone on the forum who has experience with sourdough (wild yeast) culture.
Sorry, newbies. This offer requires proof of your experience with sourdough cultures.

I'm interested in seeing what others can do with what I captured and developed over three years ago.

I the late summer of 2010, I was hiking in the woods along the banks of the Cape Fear river in NC.  Somewhere between Fayetteville and Elizabethtown NC, I came across a patch of wild Muscadine (Actually, white Scuppernong) grapes.  Beautiful and quite surprising, as birds and squirrels generally pick these clean by that time of year.  I grabbed the best looking bunch (probably 12-14 grapes) and made a beeline back to the car, as I knew what I wanted to do with them (Silverton method).

They sat on newspaper in the car and I took the bunch inside when I got home.  I keep cheesecloth in the kitchen, and I wrapped up all of the grapes that were whole (not damaged or overripe) in a double layer of cheesecloth.  I placed them in a plastic 2 qt pitcher and used a long wooden spoon to crush them up until I could see a good amount of juice in the bottom of the pitcher.  I added 200G of water and 200G of KAAP.  I stirred until it all came together and left it on the countertop, checking a couple times a day. After 3 days, I noticed some bubbles.  I let it go for one more day and pulled out the cheesecloth bag.  I added another 100g of water and 100g of flour.  The next day I took 100G out and discarded the rest.  I added 200g water and 200g flour.  I continued washing this culture every day for a month in an attempt to "purify" or isolate the active bacteria/yeast combo.

I then refrigerated it for a month.  It settled down and began to form a golden hooch on top.  The smell? Heaven.  Like Muscadine wine.  The taste?  Like sweet Muscadine wine.

I revived it and washed it a couple times, switching Caputo 00 flour and started using it to bake

I've let it sleep for months, always reviving it easily, over a couple of days, to be used at my convenience.

Been using it since for pizza and bread.  It has a great flavor and can range in sourness, depending on the temperature it's proofed.

I called it Moby, as it was what I'd been searching for (My white whale)...an active, reliable culture that performs as well as any commercial yeast I've used.

Since then, I've renamed it Cape Fear Sourdough, and I have twelve 12g dried samples to offer to any of you out there who has experience with sourdough cultures...Again, sorry, newbies.
This will be the last offer of this culture for quite a while, as pizza season is here...and I'm moving down the street next month.

Simply message me with your address and a hyperlink showing your experience with sourdough culture.
I'll gladly mail out 12g of dried culture with simple instructions to revive it (But, you'll already know how to do this, right?).

My pizza made with this culture;
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13057.msg129003.html#msg129003
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13057.msg156212.html#msg156212
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13057.msg279309.html#msg279309

Pizza and bread made, by others, using this culture;
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28147.0.html
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30609.0
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:12:16 AM by Mmmph »
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: FREE SOURDOUGH CULTURE III
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 08:57:57 AM »
Mmmph,

Thank you for doing this and sharing it with forum members.  Your offer is very kind.  I've see those photos and I love the looks of those pies.

Like you, I've got a lot of stuff going on in the next month or two, so I'm going to hold off until others have chance to jump in.  If you do have a culture towards the end of the run, I'm in.

You might consider prioritizing the list to favor those in greatest need of dough improvement, thus keeping me near the top and saving  shipping costs to New Zealand.   :-D  (I know, some day I'm going to pay for these remarks.)

Dave
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 04:03:00 PM by Tampa »

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 06:18:38 AM »
You might consider prioritizing the list to favor those in greatest need of dough improvement, thus keeping me near the top and saving  shipping costs to New Zealand.   :-D  (I know, some day I'm going to pay for these remarks.)

Dave

Oi!!! I asked him quite some time ago... and it was a case of "first in, first served"..  And yes, I'll pay for the extra costs to send Cape Fear to NZ  :D

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 04:26:45 AM »
Here is another Oi,  Thanks Mmm

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=28958.0

..  And yes, I'll pay for the extra costs to send Cape Fear to Australia.  Do you have paypal (Gift). Thanks.
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 08:08:14 AM »
Fingers crossed.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 11:49:25 AM »
Five out...Seven to go.

Offline fessmiq

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 03:42:08 PM »
Thank you for your consideration. Amazed at your work.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »
ALL GONE!
END OF OFFER.

Dried culture samples will be mailed soon.
Pizza season is here. This offer will not happen again for quite a while.

Enjoy.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 11:31:16 PM »
Very excited for the arrival of this popular culture.  It'll be a great incentive for me to bake this summer.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 10:24:12 AM »
Sorry for any perceived delay...I'm moving up the street this month.

All the culture samples are dried and vacuum sealed.
All the addresses are ready. Just have not had time to make it to the P.O.

Soon, though.

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 01:17:15 PM »

Soon, though.

Maybe with the delay you'll have time to send one more culture out? *wink wink nudge nudge* ;D I'm only kidding...kind of ;D
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 01:26:47 PM »
Maybe with the delay you'll have time to send one more culture out? *wink wink nudge nudge* ;D I'm only kidding...kind of ;D

See reply #7 above. Sorry.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 02:41:29 PM »

Soon, though.

Mmmph, never to worry.  Your samples could arrive three months from now and it still would be extremely generous on your part.  My appologies if my post gave the air of impatience, certainly wasn't my intent.  I had just been previous threads regarding the starter and was excited.

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 07:28:56 PM »
Mate

I can't remember If I sent my address to you or not - are you wanting any money for Cape Fear to get to Australia?  Congrats on Cape Fear going global. 

Currently feeding Brett Noy's sourdough starter.
http://www.basicingredients.com.au/index.php/home-baking/yeast-improvers-sour-dough-starters/brett-noy-s-sourdough-starter.html

Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 03:06:40 PM »
Received my culture last night, impeccable packaging and instructions.  Can't wait to start activating!

pizzapan