Author Topic: Measuring gluten in dough?  (Read 439 times)

Offline dylandylan

Measuring gluten in dough?
« on: March 13, 2014, 10:16:52 PM »
Hi all,  does anyone know of techniques to measure the amount of gluten in dough?  In particular being able to measure the gluten content at various stages of fermentation.

Is there any kind if test you can run (ideally at home) to determine gluten level numerically?   

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: Measuring gluten in dough?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 08:36:17 AM »
Norma427 did some tests by washing her dough to leave the gluten behind...Somewhere in her pile of great posts. PM her.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 11:18:50 AM »
Dylan,

I don't know, but don't think there is a way at home to be able to measure gluten content at various stages of fermentation. 

This is where wet gluten mass tests were done, but that is not really what you want to know.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=18075.0

I think this is where Peter explains how to do a gluten mass test at Reply 1106 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3940.msg168400#msg168400 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 12:22:46 AM »
Thanks Norma.  I'm not at all knowledgable about the whole gluten topic, but have friends with gluten free leanings and would be interested to know if extended sourdough fermentation may reduce gluten levels.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 10:15:50 AM »
Thanks Norma.  I'm not at all knowledgable about the whole gluten topic, but have friends with gluten free leanings and would be interested to know if extended sourdough fermentation may reduce gluten levels.

I don't think it works like that. I'm no expert either, but I suspect that even if you let your dough degrade into complete slop, it would still be a problem for someone who is gluten intolerant.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dylandylan

Measuring gluten in dough?
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 01:55:05 PM »
Ok thanks Craig.   That reinforces my underlying suspicion too.    I know from observation that some qualities of the gluten certainly change  throughout the fermentation, but I have no idea how that relates to the overall quantity, and also have no idea if a simple quantity measure has relevance for GF edibility.    I have one friend who has coeliac and I'm not thinking for a minute to consider wheat based pies, but another friend is GF-curious and had prompted the inquiry as to whether you can ferment your way to low/no gluten.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 04:03:40 PM »
This got me curious, so I did a search on fermentation breaking down gluten, and quite a few articles directly related to your original question came up. The few I skimmed seemed to come to the same conclusion that you could not ferment your way down to coeliac-safe levels.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan